Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Burning Oil?

• 25-06-2010 11:15am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭

Quick question. Since before Christmas I've noticed that my car (1.4 2000 Golf) was using quite a bit of oil. About three months ago I filled it with 2 litres of oil. Today when I went to check it there was no oil on the dipstick. I'm only guessing, but I'd say I've done around 5000km in that time. Perhaps more. The car is running perfectly, and there doesn't seem to be any smoke or anything like that.

Any ideas as to what it might be, as I can't get it to my mechanic for a few weeks?

Edit: Sorry, the car has around 70k miles on the clock.

Comments

Top it up immediately and check the oil level weekly going forward, the 1.4 VW engine in that Golf can guzzle oil, if you are running it on 2 L less oil than what should be in there it won't last long more.

Did you really leave it 3 months before checking the level ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭brophs

RoverJames wrote: »
    Top it up immediately and check the oil level weekly going forward, the 1.4 VW engine in that Golf can guzzle oil, if you are running it on 2 L less oil than what should be in there it won't last long more.

Did you really leave it 3 months before checking the level ?

Cheers. Yeah, I stuck in two litres straight away, I'm just wondering is that sort of oil usage normal, or am I in trouble?

No, I checked it about a month or two back when I was putting air in the tyres. From memory it seemed okay.

:)

Unfortunately for a Golf that oil usage is not uncommon, normal wouldn't be the word though. Weekly checks and top ups are the cheap option, unless you fancy investing in an engine overhaul.

Advertisement