Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

USB wifi not working properly or picking up network connections

• 25-06-2010 11:18am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 644 ✭✭✭

I'm using a Edimax 7711UTn USB wifi stick.

Some of the problems Im having:
    sometimes windows (I'm on XP) will give me a "USB device not recognized" error message when I try put the USB stick in. When I finally do get it recognised, the network symbol down the bottom right corner of the screen has an x through it. Also, when I try to view or refresh available networks nothing comes up.

If I go through the Edinax wireless card utility to try and connect from there it's the same problem...no networks to choose from.

I've uninstalled the drivers/edimax utility and did a restore point to a few days ago and reinstalled everything again. I'm still getting the same problem.

Anyone have any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭RoadKillTs

USB adapter could be damaged. Can you test it on another pc?

Sounds like its on the way out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Pauleeeeeeee

Nope. It ain't damaged. And it's pretty new (about five months old).

I've got it connected now and in device manager it it showing under the network adapters list as working properly.

I've tried turning the wireless configuration utility back on and turning off the software that came with the USB wifi adapter but it's still not picking up any networks.

Hmmm....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭spider guardian

did you try it on another computer? if you did and it still isn't working then bin it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,236 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

are you running the coordinating software utility for the device? I know my linksys USB dongles are finnicky at best without the linksys utility controlling the connection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Pauleeeeeeee

Spider guardian, I don't have another computer to try it on right now but the light on the USB stick is on which indicates it's working.

Overheal, yes I'm using the coordinating software. Infact, windows has never been able to pick up any networks. I've always had to go through the software that came with the USB stick to be able to see any networks. Now I can't pick any up with either one of them. The "radio on" button is on by the way before anyone suggests that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Could they not make these usb modems with mini Ethernet connections..I was told these are more reliable not that this seems to be your prob.

Advertisement