Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

breeding my boxer

Options
  • 25-06-2010 11:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭

I have got 2 boxers and am going breeding them, the male is a brindle and the female is red and white, i am just wondering does anyone no if you can breed the two types and how they will turn out.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Yes as far as i know you can breed those 2 colours together. Theres no definate way of saying exactly what the outcome will be,
    You will probably get a mixture of both and some white boxers as well.

Please just make sure before you breed that you have had your dogs health tested for conditions that boxers suffer from, which would be heart problems etc.
    You dont want to risk passing on any conditions to their puppies so be responsible and get them checked out for all conditions first before breeding and this isnt just a quick check by the vet its more than that.

Try contacting the boxer club of ireland too who should be able to give you some advice on breeding them as well.
    Hope this helps.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

boxermad wrote: »
    I have got 2 boxers and am going breeding them, the male is a brindle and the female is red and white, i am just wondering does anyone no if you can breed the two types and how they will turn out.

So long as they are both Boxers then there is no problem mating them. As far as the colouring goes it would depend on the colouring in both dogs bloodlines as any of those colours could be thrown back up in the litter. Have you researched the bloodlines? Is there a reason why you've choosen these two dogs for mating?
    Andreac makes a valid point about the health testing, Boxers are reknowned for a catalogue of genetic illnesses so ethically these should be carried out on all dogs of every breed before breeding is considered. Most of these test can't be done until the dogs are 2 or over when the dogs are fully matured. Hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

I don't know, but just wanted to say my friend bred her boxers and had 14 pups! :D That sounds fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭boxermad

ya both have been health checked and their health is great. The reason im breeding both is because a friend moved to england so he gave me his male boxer and i already had my fawn bitch and as they get on great what would be the point in paying for a stud. As of the bloodlines i must research them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

ya both have been health checked and their health is great. The reason im breeding both is because a friend moved to england so he gave me his male boxer and i already had my fawn bitch and as they get on great what would be the point in paying for a stud. As of the bloodlines i must research them.

Health checks means stuff like hip / elbow scored, eye / heart tested etc., if these are the health checks your dogs have undergone that's great, one less thing to worry about :)
    People pay for a stud instead of using their own dog because the dog they have may not suit the bitch they have, for example you're bitch might not have a great topline so you would be looking for a stud with an exceptional topline to compliment and hopeful correct you're bitches fault or your bitch might have a very 'wet' head (overly wrinkled) with an incorrect stop, so you would be looking for a stud with more of a typey head.
    If you show your bitch you will find out what you're bitches faults are and therefore what kind of stud you would be looking for to improve the breed. Best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

What is your actual reason for breeding them though? There are hundreds of boxers for sale at the moment. Have you got potential homes lined up already?
    There are so many dogs out there right now that its very hard to try and home a litter esp if its a big one. Your bitch could have up to 12 pups, and trying to find homes for them all can be very difficult.

What sort of health checks have you done? Its not just a yearly check from the vet, its heart testing, hip scoring and so on so its more than just the normal once over from the vet, its a lot more invasive than that so please make sure that you carry out these specific tests before breeding.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭imokyrok

• Registered Users Posts: 35 gracem

This should help. http://www.boxerworld.com/forums/view_boxer-coat-colour.htm

Also please carry out the necessary health checks on your dogs heart scores being the most important, hundreds of boxers die horrible deaths each year because of cardiomyopathy and this can be avoided with proper research.

Breeding in my opinion is not for the amateur and needs a lot of time and effort put into it. Too many are being bred for the sake of it or to make money. Consider the cost- vets bills, welping bitches food needs, puppy food bills etc. Dogs health is paramount.

As the owner of 2 boxers, think hard and do the leg work before you breed.

Advertisement