Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interior Doors and Skirting - surprising costs

Options
  • 25-06-2010 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I've been looking for interior doors and skirting for some time now.
    Orginally I had intended on going oak/oak veneer for the doors and skirting, but now we've decided on painted.

For the oak/oak veneer, prefinished, NOT prehung, we were coming in around 4,600 including vat - which I think is a fairly decent price.
    Labour to fit was 1,700 all in, but I didn't shop around that much for that side of things.

As we have moved to painted, I expected the price to come down. A recent quote I got though was 5,500 including vat.
    This was for unfinished red deal, but it was prehung.

the guy 'informed' me that you cannot get either pre-painted, or unfinished (i.e. unvarnished) red deal doors anywhere in reland anymore. Sounds a bit suspect to me.

So my question is -
    How much should I expect to pay for red deal doors, frame and skirting - either already painted, or unvarnished ready for painting?

If anyone has any tips and leads, please let me know!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭BullBauld

tails_naf

Mine is not exactly the same spec but for 16 pre-hung oak doors with red deal frames/arcitrave/skirting came in at €3,100. This was the guts of 1k cheaper than anywhere else I got a quote from.

So in that regard if you were looking at all red deal you would expect to be paying less. I did not price red deal doors but I would have thought they can be still got.

Hope this helps
    Bull

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭ninjaBob

Off hand I think I spent the guts of €10,000 on Skirting, Doors & Architraves.

We got:

18 : 4 panel - unfinished pine doors (@€;60 per door)
    18 : Chrome Lever on Rose + Escutcheon, 3 Hinges per door and various locks.

~300m 8" Skirting
    ~300m 6" Skirting
    Plinth Blocks
    Door Frames
    Window boards
    Temporary door frames to plaster up to.

The 6" is fixed to the 8" giving more depth, making the skirting a very nice feature.

I know of a few suppliers that will sell unfinished doors, if you want I can send you details.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tails_naf

Hi Guys,

Please PM me on the details - I'll give them a shout

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭BullBauld

We are allowed to name companies in prices forum as far as I know.

www.idealdoors.ie in Roscommon is the company I got quote above from.

For balance I also quoted Doorkits who were €4,080 and Seadec in Ferbane who were €4,340.

Hope this helps

Bull

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭ninjaBob

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46,127 ✭✭✭✭muffler

BullBauld wrote: »
    We are allowed to name companies in prices forum as far as I know.
    Yup! That's fine so long as the poster has no affiliation to or promoting companies on behalf of someone else.

Advertisement