Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

3 month old teething and sleeping issues

• 25-06-2010 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭

Sorry for all the threads lately! This is my first child, and I am largely on my own with her.

She started teething at around 7 or 8 weeks, and I have found the last few weeks it has got very bad. She was sleeping through the night virtually from the start but is now waking at least twice....once between 1 and 3...and then one a little later at around 4.30-5.30 am. She wants to eat when she wakes....so i'm wondering if this is still teething related or not? If it's teethnig related i don't mind, but if she is just waking for a feed, I want to see if i can do something about it.

This is also a problem as I find I am so tired when i feed her that I can fall asleep with her in the bed and now as of this mornning, she'll fight sleep in the moses basket as she wants to cuddle up next to me. Nipping this in the bud asap, however it is done accidently, and I'm worried I'll just keep falling asleep!

Any help or info on this stage of infancy much appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

Hiya Hacked,

Would she take some cooled boiled water from you maybe?
    I had this for a week or so with Rose, she had been sleeping really well (8 - 10 hours) waking at 10am, but then she started to wake at 5/6am.
    When she did I gave her some water & she would dose back off.
    I think once she sussed she wasn't going to get a 'proper' feed she decided to stay sleeping instead :)

She went through a stage too when her teething was bad of us getting her to sleep in our arms (bad me, I know :o)
    To get her back into the habit of sleeping in the cot we would put her in the cot the minute she started to look tired, but we would lie on the bed beside the cot.
    So if she started to cry we could rub her tum or her face; once she knew we were there, it seemed to settle her back into sleeping in the cot.

Hope poor Isobel gets over the worst of the teething soon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭hacked

Thanks cap

The teething seems to have settled down a bit over the last few days, so I think she is just taking advantage of me! She's now in a pattern of waking between 1-2 ish and again at 4 to 5 ish. I tried giving her a bottle of formula to see if that would fill her up, but unfortunately I left it too long since the last time I gave her a bottle and she wouldn't take it.
    The water sounds like a good idea...I'll give it a go!

As for putting her back to bed...I think I may just have to let her scream. I've tried soothing her by touch etc, but unfortunately mdaughter is a strong willed little missy, and when I rub her tum or put my hand n her she just gets super angry because she knows I'm there and refusing to pick her up!! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭gowayouttadat

Hacked I wonder is she just at that stage before solids where she's getting less satisfied by the milk and is hungrier. I know they say some babies start waking before the 4 month mark because you can't introduce solids yet but they are getting bigger and hungrier and less satisfied by milk.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭hacked

goway -- im wondering the same thing myself! I was saying to a bunch of people over this last week that I think she will definately be on solids before 6 months.

She has always been a hungry baby....was feeding every hour and ahalf to two hours till she hit 10 weeks. She went through a growth spurt at ten weeks and then started taking in more milk at each feed. She just went 14 weeks though, so maybe the extra milk is no longer satisfying her?

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Elle13

Hi Hacked,

how r you??
    It has been a while since I spoke to you last.. my little man keeps me busy busy..
    Are you still breastfeeding your little girl?
    I personaly think thats the way babies are around this age.. Tobiash goes to bed around 8pm and wakes up for feed between 2-3am then he sleep until 6 or 7am then usually falls back to sleep and wakes up around 11am and wants to get up then.
    He is quite hungry baby too but I guess I cant complaint as this is suppose to be really good sleeping patern for breast fed baby. He is 16 weeks old now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ebmma

I just wanted to say that increased waking around 4ish months has nothing to do with readiness for solids. Their sleep patterns change because they become more aware of their surrounding - get more distractable- feed a bit less during the day and compensate at night. it's just a phase.
    It's not common in formula fed babies because they can be fed facing outwards.
    My little man is going through something similar - he started waking up more and wants to watch everything! it's a bit frustrating being woken up, but I know he's getting what he needs.
    Several people suggested I give him water but I think it's plain cruel to give him water when he's hungry. Also getting him water involves me getting out of bed which is waaay more hassle than it's worth and I actually get less sleep this way.

hope you're doing ok :)

---
    also I don't believe in spoiling babies. Robin sleeps in my arms/bed when he needs to and when it passes he goes back to the cot. He was feeling unwell after the shots and would only settle in my arms. Am i supposed to deny him this comfort because it's percieved as a bad habit? nah.

Advertisement