Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rights of way

Options
  • 25-06-2010 12:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭

I was wondering if there are any online sites that will show public right of ways for access to national monuments

In Kiltiernan there is a beautiful dolmen which has had its right of way abolished by an appeal by the landowner.

From the Dun Laoighaire Rathdown CC website:

“This public right of way was included in the 2004 – 2010 Dun Laoghaire Rathdown County Development Plan. Following an appeal by the Landowner the public right of way was deleted from the County Development Plan by Order of the Circuit Court, therefore there can be no public access to the Druids Altar.

However, notwithstanding the above the Kilternian/Glenmuck Local Area Plan makes reference to the possibility of reinstating the rights of way to the Cromlech Dolmen and Dingle Glen. The Local Area Plan however, acknowledges this right of way is over private property. The reinstatement of this right of way could be considered as part of the County Development Plan review process which is commencing shortly”.
    http://www.dlrcoco.ie/

While most farmers are happy for you to visit national monuments located on their land, some do everything to stop people enjoying our nationional monuments. Others including Cairn L at loughcrew. Hopefully the council will reinstate access soon.

does anyone know of any references for right of ways?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Baron de Robeck

I have never come across anything online in regard to this although it could be hidden under some less obvious heading. There are countless examples of inaccessible monuments around the country and a lot of it is unfortunately down to the claim culture in this country where landowners are afraid they will be sued. There was talk of legislation where landowners would be immune from liability but I don't know where this stands now.

Advertisement