Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A bank has lost my cheque.

Options
  • 25-06-2010 12:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭

Hi Folks,
    Not content with costing the country billions, one of our leading banks has somehow managed to lose a cheque I deposited through one of their ATM's. I filled in the envelope properly and have the receipt of the transaction.

This happened 2 weeks ago, and I have been calling the bank everyday this week. They keep saying they will call me back, but never do.

I kind of need to money and its not a big amount, just €250, but the bank seems to be doing nothing.

Is there anything I can do about this? I guess the only thing I can do is complain to the regulator?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Go in to the branch where you lodged the cheque and speak to them in person, and bring your receipt.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Banking & Insurance & Pensions

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭markiemark2005

Paulw wrote: »
    Go in to the branch where you lodged the cheque and speak to them in person, and bring your receipt.

Done already, they say they have lost it, and they will call me later. They never do.

The problem is, the person that wrote the cheque is gone away for a month, so I can get the cheque cancelled and re-issued.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

Done already, they say they have lost it, and they will call me later. They never do.

The problem is, the person that wrote the cheque is gone away for a month, so I can get the cheque cancelled and re-issued.

Tell them you're getting the Financial Ombudsman involved and do anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

mathie wrote: »
    Tell them you're getting the Financial Ombudsman involved and do anyway.

You can't involve the ombudsman till you get a Final Response from the Bank.

As stated, get your bank to respond to you in a letter and there should be a reference number on this letter noting your complaint. If the final response is not to your liking then take it to the Ombudsman.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭markiemark2005

You can't involve the ombudsman till you get a Final Response from the Bank.

As stated, get your bank to respond to you in a letter and there should be a reference number on this letter noting your complaint. If the final response is not to your liking then take it to the Ombudsman.

I guess I need to put this request in writing to them and demand a reply within a week? I guess they will stall sending a reply so this will delay my complaint to the regulator?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

I guess I need to put this request in writing to them and demand a reply within a week? I guess they will stall sending a reply so this will delay my complaint to the regulator?

complaint is warranted but will draw the matter out which wojnt help your casuse so forget about that for the moment. Go into the branch in person and speak to the customer service advisor, if they do not sort it ask for the assistant manager (they generally do most of the normal work in the bank and may be best to deal with). Explain your circumstances and try be nice about it and they may get it sorted there and then. Explaint politely its their error. If needs be take a heavier tone if they arent getting the message.

If resolved or if not resolved you can still take the complaint up but your objective now should be get the cash as you need. Then complaints can be thrown in.

You are in the right since you have the receipt and they need to be account for that lodgement. The gattering of the quick lodges should always be done by two people for security in the bank so ask them to check with both parties who done it. If only one, ask them why only one as its generally standard procedure to have two do it to cover themselves.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement