Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Quick question about model release

• 25-06-2010 12:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭

Quick question, entered a photo competition with some candid street shots. I don't know the people in the shots, and have no model releases or anything like that for them. Is that a problem? The organiser of the competition thinks so. My understanding was that you don't need a model release if the image is taken in a public place, or is going to be used in a non-commercial manner? I am open to correction :confused: Is it likely then that the organiser of the competition is going to use the winning images for some commercial use and that it why they need this information up front?
    ***edit***

This is for the Irish Times/Discover Ireland "Smile" photo competition. I just got an e-mail back from the Irish Times marketing dept, you see you have to e-mail them to get the terms & conditions of the competition - what a laugh.

Anyway, I have attached the terms and conditions for the competition - needless to say, I have asked for my images to be removed and deleted. It's seems like another one of these "competitions" where the aim is just to amss a stockpile of free images to use, without paying royalties, anytime they like. So beware!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 708 ✭✭✭dave66

I would check the terms of the competition, it does seem like they intend to use it commercially. Where is the competition being held, is it Ireland or overseas, as local law in relation to public photography could be different?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

Hi Dave, yep, see above ^

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

FT T&C:
    19. By entering the competition you are agreeing that any submissions made become the property of Failte Ireland and the Irish Times Ltd., and can be used for whatever promotional purposes Failte Ireland and the Irish Times Ltd., deem fit, now and in the future.

Ridiculous... they want to *own* your photo, not just have the rights to use it in the future, what a joke. As my old granny would say, f*ck em.

I just got my entry removed from the competition and the image deleted. Cheeky sods! Serves me right for submitting without getting the terms & conditions first. Is that even legal I wonder?

The other bit I liked is that you have to agree to do "unpaid promotional work" for your €500 voucher LOL I have these images of walking up and down Grafton Street in a Bord Failte sandwich board...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i would have hoped the irish times would have had more sense, given their dependence on the work of photographers. maybe it's bord failte who are running the competition, but the IT is listed first in the Ts & Cs.

• Advertisement

Well, it was someone from the Irish Times that e-mailed me on the T&C's...

Advertisement