Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rockefeller Productions? - Grace Jones Cancellation

Options
  • 25-06-2010 12:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Does anybody know anything about Rockefeller Productions? Or has anybody got a refund for the cancelled Grace Jones concerts in the Savoy Cork?

I bought tickets from the promoters "Rockefeller Productions" over the phone, and now their number goes straight through to an answering machine.
    This seemed suspicious so I did a little research on Rockefeller Productions. From what I could find they have no history prior to a few weeks ago. And most importantly all of the events they were promoting (except the Grace Jones concert) were all due to take place within a week of each other!

These included Ute Lemper and Marianne Faithfull at the Grand Canal Theatre, Marylin in Wexford Opera House and Grand Canal Theatre, Tony Curtis at the IFI. All these appear to now be cancelled.

They have a Facebook page but no working webpage. Best I can find the owner is a James Delaney O'Neill.

Does anybody have any more info?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Pris

I'd say try contacting the Wright Venue or the Savoy to see if they can give you contact details or info? There's a discussion on Jom Carroll's blog too, might be worth joining in: http://www.irishtimes.com/blogs/ontherecord/2010/06/09/grace-jones-plays-irish-shows-in-july/

Seems a bit strange alright...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

I never saw any mention of them being involved with Tony Curtis in the IFI.

Where did you read they were behind bringing him over (or not as it turns out)?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 macmansion

Here: http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:3OKZFtWoTg8J:www.irishfilm.ie/cinema/season2_07.asp%3FSID%3D202+rockefeller+tony+curtis+ifi&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ie

I checked with the office address listed on their Facebook. The receptionist had never heard of Rockefeller Productions!

Did a little more digging on this.

Called the Wright Venue - those 2 shows are cancelled too, although they were reluctant to say any more than that.

Here are the "offices" of the promoters - workstations available for €275 per month hhhmmm...

Here's the myspace page of the owner (according to Linkedin) of Reckefeller Promotions (or somebody of the same name at least).

This appears to be the same person advertising for a personal assistant.

Here's the man himself.

Worryingly the phone number used to book tickets no longer goes to voicemail - the message box is full so no more messages can be left.

I presume that my credit card company will refund the ticket price?
    But in any case this all looks a little suspicious...

I think that this is something that the Garda Bureau of Fraud Investigation would be interested in. Or would that be jumping the gun at this stage?

Actually just looking at further posts by the promoter on queerid. Assuming everything is above board - he has had quite a change in fortunes in less than a year. Last July he was down to his last €50 and living with his parents - this month he was taking international stars to Dublin to perform.

A lottery win perhaps? Or maybe not...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

macmansion wrote: »
    Here's the man himself.

That profile is gone now.

Have you talked to the Gardai about this at all?

The IFI stated that Tony Curtis wasn't there because the play he was supposed to be in had been cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Hot Press have a detailed update on this story on their website now:

There’s disappointment for Grace Jones fans with the singer’s visits to The Wright Venue, Dublin (July 21 & 22) and The Savoy, Cork (23) being pulled at the eleventh hour. In both cases, the venues had been rented out to a company called Rockafeller Productions who had taken care of all the liasing with Jones’ American-based agents, the Central Entertainment Group, themselves.

Says CEG’s Michael Schweiger in an official statement: “The reported performance dates for Grace Jones in Dublin and Cork have been cancelled. The promoter James Delaney O’Neill of Rockefeller Productions is in breach of his contract by failing to pay deposits and advertising these dates without a fully executed artist agreement. We apologise to Grace’s devoted fans there in Ireland and hope to be in concert there in the near future.”
    James Delaney O’Neill was also the person behind two gigs that were booked in to the Grand Canal Theatre – Marianne Faithful on June 17, which the venue subsequently took over themselves and Ute Lemper on June 22, which was cancelled. Hot Press have made repeated attempts to contact Rockefeller Productions on their 0818 2270187 office number, but keep getting a recorded message advertising the now most definitely cancelled Grace Jones gigs and a musical celebrating the life of Marilyn Monroe, which was supposed to tour the country.

----

I don't think Rockefeller had anything to do with Tony Curtis' IFI appearance. The IFI presumably found out that he would be in the city (he was due to be in the Grand Canal Theatre for the opening night of Marilyn), and shrewdly organised a Curtis mini-festival, but since the Marilyn show was pulled, his IFI appearance was cancelled too.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

I don't think Rockefeller had anything to do with Tony Curtis' IFI appearance.

Looks like they did:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...&ct=clnk&gl=ie

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Then it's even more embarrassing for them.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭windowcleaner

Jesus Christ! Have a read of this - Grace Jones was only the tip of the iceberg. Irish Times get forensic on his ass

http://www.irishtimes.com/blogs/ontherecord/2010/06/29/the-strange-story-of-rockefeller-productions/

• Advertisement

I got a refund today without any communication from the promoters.

Grateful to get it in the circumstances!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Shocking behaviour. Glad you got your money back OP but methinks you are very very lucky, all the warning signs are there.

Bizarre that this guy was allowed to start selling tickets :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭JJ

Jim Carroll tweeted that he has more to add to this story. I guess we'll have to stay tuned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Interesting read.

I wonder will this Delaney lad ever surface?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭uvox

I don't see any record of James Delaney O' Neill being a director of anything according to solocheck.ie.

Rockefeller Productions Business Name is registered to: 9 The Wooden Building, Exchange Street Upper, Temple Bar, Dublin 2.

http://www.cro.ie/search/CompanyDetails.aspx?id=353830&type=B

uvox wrote: »
    I don't see any record of James Delaney O' Neill being a director of anything according to solocheck.ie.

Rockefeller Productions Business Name is registered to: 9 The Wooden Building, Exchange Street Upper, Temple Bar, Dublin 2.

http://www.cro.ie/search/CompanyDetails.aspx?id=353830&type=B

He's listed himself as owner here: http://ie.linkedin.com/pub/james-delaney-o-neill/17/A05/461

Also all of the venues were dealing with him as promoter so I don't think there's any mistake made.

Irish Times article here also mentions Rockefeller Productions as his company.

Does Solocheck list someone else as director?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭washiskin

Was this clown on Liveline in the past?
    Something about his name rings a bell....

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

I can't pace his name either but i know i've heard it somewhere before.

OP you are a lucky boy to get your money back from Post 1 i was screaming scam scam scam in my head. Delighted for you though. I might actually dislike this guy more than i do touts... Hmmm things to think about!

Advertisement