Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Aldi store in Trim?

Options
  • 25-06-2010 12:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,258 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

We got a guy knocking on the house with a petition a while ago saying if there was 2000 signatures taken, they would allow an Aldi to be built in Trim. I'd heard it would be towards the Longwood Road direction, and I've noticed a new construction site on the road that the fire station is on in the Longwood direction from the Castle Roundabout. The site is suspiciously Aldi shaped, but there is no sign up yet as to what it will be.

Anyone know if it is the new aldi that they are building? Would be great to have a new option, Supervalue is too expensive, and the Lidl in Trim is just a horrible shop.

Cheers!

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Was wondering what that was. Great if it was Aldi but they are basically a mirror image of Lidl, so if you don't like Lidl you won't like Aldi.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

I had also heard that, but a quick search on the MCC website shows the applications for Navan and Kells but not showing anything for Trim.

So unless the application is in a name other than "Aldi Stores" which is what the other applications in the county are retrieved under, then it doesn't sound that good.

If anyone's passing they could have a look at the planning notice which should be on the site and report back.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Great if it was Aldi but they are basically a mirror image of Lidl, so if you don't like Lidl you won't like Aldi.

Not sure about that, they sell different enough stuff in that when we lived in Dublin, we'd get some things in Aldi, some in Lidl and the rest in a "normal" supermarket like Supervalu etc.. Now we get our groceries between Lidl and Supervalu, but I miss the Aldi.

I'd have Aldi over Lidl given the choice, but having both in Trim would be great. Some of Aldi's premium stuff (the Specially selected range) is really top notch and put so-called premium brands like Denny etc. to shame.

Trim could do with an Aldi for sure, but I don't think Supervalu is bad tbh, and the refurb has helped a lot (except for the car park shrinking to an even smaller size).

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭alanajane

Hi all, yeah we had that petition guy ages ago, could even have been last year. Aldi stuff is gorgeous way better than Lidl. Went over to new store in Navan, it well worth the trip but I still hoping store will open in Trim. My impression is that it would be built opposite Knigntsbridge Retirement Village/Longwood Road direction...
    On saying that Supervalu is really good at the moment, it doing good job of sucking up to customers after all the months of disruption. Ive no doubt we will eventually pay for it. My advise is scrap the shopping list (something I would normally advocate to avoid overshopping) but go in with open mind and take advantage of the special offers eg the 2striploin streaks and bottle fairly decent wine for €10. Get double and freeze steak for next week. Drown your troubles on the 2 btls!! :D There was also a ginormous bag of rice for only €3 will last me couple of months for family of 4.
    The car park!!! OMG!! Would they ever ban the yummy mummys who cant park their hummer size cars with the one child seat in the back!!!!:mad::P:mad::P

My understanding of the construction area opposite firestation is that will be the new 'halting site boss'. Mite stop them burning the plastic off the cables to get the copper wire underneath.....

Sorry I in really bad mood this evening everyone is gettin it...

ok while I in moaning mood would they ever move the constant presence of charity collectors directly outside the post office door!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

That crowd that often collect there on a saturday are usually shipped in from outside Trim and would stretch the definition of "charity".

I only gove to local charities outside the shops. They have specific permit for the day in question while these other "charities" have a general permit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

alanajane wrote: »

My understanding of the construction area opposite firestation is that will be the new 'halting site boss'. Mite stop them burning the plastic off the cables to get the copper wire underneath.....

Sure they work hard for their money and pay they're taxes like everyone else, why not give them free housing.

Burning cable, polluting the town with posionous smoke, well "thats our culture boss"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 JasonR16

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    So unless the application is in a name other than "Aldi Stores" which is what the other applications in the county are retrieved under, then it doesn't sound that good.

Based on the link that Jason posted above, the applicant was "South-West Partnership" rather than Aldi.

These are the two I can find based on that:
    http://www.meath.ie/ePlan41/FileRefDetails.aspx?file_number=TA901429&LASiteID=0
    http://www.meath.ie/ePlan41/FileRefDetails.aspx?file_number=ta901496&LASiteID=0

2nd one says the application was withdrawn on the 8th of June. I'd say we can kiss goodbye to our Aldi!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 JasonR16

Looks like it was going to be a whole lot more than an Aldi. The "current economic climate" probably claimed this one.

JasonR16 wrote: »
    Looks like it was going to be a whole lot more than an Aldi. The "current economic climate" probably claimed this one.

I'd have thought that myself, but the application only went in in Sept. '09, when things were already well and truly *£^&ed! That's what I can't understand. I see a car showroom was included... I mean come on, that was never going to happen when the car sales industry is on its knees.

They should forget the offices, car showroom, other retail etc. and Aldi should reapply simply for an Aldi. Just to keep me happy like! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,258 ✭✭✭Archeron

PauloMN wrote: »
    They should forget the offices, car showroom, other retail etc. and Aldi should reapply simply for an Aldi. Just to keep me happy like! :D

I agree. I just want easy access to their cheap and tasty danishes :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Archeron wrote: »
    I'd heard it would be towards the Longwood Road direction, and I've noticed a new construction site on the road that the fire station is on in the Longwood direction from the Castle Roundabout. The site is suspiciously Aldi shaped, but there is no sign up yet as to what it will be.

Anyone know if it is the new aldi that they are building?

Still not 100% sure what it is but it looks suspiciously like a caravan park - given that it's now full of caravans!

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Twigster

Still not 100% sure what it is but it looks suspiciously like a caravan park - given that it's now full of caravans!

its a temporary halt site while St Martins Park, the current halt site, is being redeveloped.

http://www.meathchronicle.ie/news/trim/articles/2010/07/07/3998435-traveller-families-to-move-to-temporary-site-within-fortnight-/

So we're closing hospital wards, but we can fund redevelopment of existing halting sites? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭falabo

does anyone have updates on this?

I remember that petition. are we getting Aldi in Trim ?

Read this recently, looks like the planning permission was reapplied for:
    http://www.meathchronicle.ie/news/trim/articles/2011/06/08/4004775-trim-to-get-new-aldi-store-if-plans-approved/

So we might be back on track. Thumbs up from me, we're driving out to Aldi in Navan at the moment so having one locally would be great.

Mind you, I'm surprised that they've applied for planning for a motor showroom again... I thought that idea would have been shelved this time around given that the motor trade is in bad shape at the moment.

http://www.meath.ie/ePlan41/FileRefDetails.aspx?file_number=TA110532&LASiteID=0

This is the link to the new planning application for what I guess must be the Aldi and other units. It looks pretty much the same as the application that was withdrawn 2 years ago (just slightly smaller in total), and even includes the motor showroom which I think is a little odd given the times we're in, but obviously they know better!

Same crowd have applied for it - The South West Partnership.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭upmeath

So it's the triangular site immediately south of the Longwood Road roundabout. Here's a Google Maps link in case anyone isn't sure of the location.
    To be honest I think the Cattle Mart site would be far less problematic. It's hard to see where a supermarket is going to get access from the existing roads either side of it, the Summerhill Road enters the town blindly because of the S-bend that leads into the roundabout. As for the Longwood Road, perhaps the works carried out along that first stretch before Knightsbridge was built alleviated any sight-line issues, but the site is literally on top of the roundabout. Prediction: 60kph zones will be extended out of the town.

Advertisement