Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transport to Munster Hurling Final in Thurles

• 25-06-2010 12:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭

For some reason there is no public transport to the Munster Hurling Final this year. I called Bus Eireann, Rapid Express and Irish Rail and none of them are running buses or trains especially for the game.

Does anyone know any other buses going up to the game?

Bus Eireann and Rapid Express nearly always run 2 buses each every time Waterford get to the Munster Final, and the demand is definitely still there so I'm amazed none of them are doing it this year.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

For some reason there is no public transport to the Munster Hurling Final this year. I called Bus Eireann, Rapid Express and Irish Rail and none of them are running buses or trains especially for the game.

Does anyone know any other buses going up to the game?

Bus Eireann and Rapid Express nearly always run 2 buses each every time Waterford get to the Munster Final, and the demand is definitely still there so I'm amazed none of them are doing it this year.

I wouldn't expect a train to Cork.

I'm sure there will be a bus, wait for the week before the match. Its a bit early for them to be on sale, and they probably won't announce them until they are on sale.

Anyway, driving to Cork is more attractive than driving to Thurles, so the demand would be a bit less (but they'd still fill plenty of buses, and I think taking the bus has a better atmosphere).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

The game is on in Semple Stadium in Thurles, not Cork.

If it was on in Cork there wouldn't be a problem as there are Waterford-Cork buses every hour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭daftdave

dayshah wrote: »
    I wouldn't expect a train to Cork.

I'm sure there will be a bus, wait for the week before the match. Its a bit early for them to be on sale, and they probably won't announce them until they are on sale.

Anyway, driving to Cork is more attractive than driving to Thurles, so the demand would be a bit less (but they'd still fill plenty of buses, and I think taking the bus has a better atmosphere).

ive been to cork on the train for a munster final , they nearly always have a train for the final...... if it went on sale im sure it would sell out fairly quick , its an attractive option for families who want to have a good day without having the hassle of driving.

The game is on in Semple Stadium in Thurles, not Cork.

If it was on in Cork there wouldn't be a problem as there are Waterford-Cork buses every hour.

Is that for definite?

On the GAA website it says Thurles, but on GAA Munster it says Cork. :confused:

Either way I wouldn't expect them on sale for another week or two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭south

dayshah wrote: »
    Is that for definite?

On the GAA website it says Thurles, but on GAA Munster it says Cork. :confused:

Either way I wouldn't expect them on sale for another week or two.

It was changed to Thurles because of cork taking part in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Probably like the special trains to Dublin, they'll be put on the week of the match. Much to soon for Bus Eireann to organise, match over 2 weeks away :rolleyes:

Probably like the special trains to Dublin, they'll be put on the week of the match. Much to soon for Bus Eireann to organise, match over 2 weeks away :rolleyes:

In fairness to Bus Éireann I get them every year and they are always very good. Whats the point in selling the tickets for the bus before people have tickets for the match?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

The match is definitely on in Thurles:
    http://www.gaa.ie/tickets-and-merchandise/tickets/

There was an issue over Waterford offering Cork home advantage (for a big sum of money) which is where the confusion about the venue came about.

Last week I asked Bus Eireann are they running a bus and they said they didn't know yet, call back later. When I called today they just flat out said no. I'll try again anyway next week, as I think a few staff are just a bit thick in there so don't know what's going on. In previous years they were similarly clueless about their buses until the week before the game.

Advertisement