Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

4 points for a win : Thoughts?

• 25-06-2010 1:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what would people think to changing it from 3 points to 4 points from a win while keeping it 1 point for a draw and zero for a loss.

On the back of the World Cup group stages was wondering what people would think about changing it so that a win was increased in value to 4 points. It would shift the incentive more towards playing attacking football and reduce the value of playing for the draw. It would also mean that the vast majority of teams wouldn't start the competition so meekly.

Anyone spot any counter-arguements?

Should I give Blatter and Platinin a bell?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

wortl looking into and possibly 2 points also for a 2-2 or higher draw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

In theory it should promote teams looking for a win, but was that not the point of the three points for a win system when it replaced the old two points for a win system?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Isn't that the exact same reason why the points were changed from two to three in the first place?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

I'd be more interested in seeing how giving a point for scoring more than 3 goals in a game would work. A similar system seems to work reasonably well in rugby for example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

I see the point from moving from 2points for a win to 3 points. But after that what is the difference in all fairness? :confused:

Getting three points for a win and four points for a win is literally the same thing isn't it? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

No, I like it as it is.

3 for a win is enough - it rewards the teams that push for the win and penalises those who keep it tight and play for the draw (New Zealand)

4 for a win is too much, makes a draw almost worthless to both teams in a 4 team group.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Sounds like an arms race. 3 points for a win is grand. I would suggest you get an extra point for scoring more than 3 goals in a game. That should encourage some attacking play.

doh beaten to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

I'd be more interested in seeing how giving a point for scoring more than 3 goals in a game would work. A similar system seems to work reasonably well in rugby for example.

do you mean just at international level or club level too?

wouldnt work at club level IMO

look at newly promoted teams, they would hardly ever score 3 goals in a game. not cos they dont try, but because their strikers arent that good. it would also drive up the cost of strikers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

Eliminate draws and bring in penalty shoot outs for either 1 point or the full 3

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

4 points for a win would make teams even more scared of losing and going 4 points behind, hence even more playing for a draw in games you dont think you are going to win :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,433 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Pauleta wrote: »
    Eliminate draws and bring in penalty shoot outs for either 1 point or the full 3

or just play the full game with 2 footballs (I love fairytale threads :D )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭20goto10

Bad idea. The gap between good teams and poor teams is too much as it is imo. I would say bring back 2 points for a win. Teams will still need to win but drawing or losing would nit be the end of your campaign.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

I believe that would make things worse. You'd get teams clinging on to a draw because they're specialized penalty takers. Now you actually reward negative play even more by offering them a chance for more than one point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

would love to see something totally radical tried in a minor competion (the europa league seems to be there trial competion)
    Something like this below. I know it probably has its flaws :p but would IMO be more exciting as forces teams in most cases to play for the full 90 mins

0 - Lose by more than 1 goal
    1 - Lose by only 1 goal
    2 - 0-0 or 1-1 draw
    3 - 2-2 or higher draw
    4 - Win by 1 goal
    5 - Win by 2+ goals
    6 - Win by 4+ goals

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

You cannot synthetically increase the number of goals per game with any amount of tweaking. No matter how many points you award for a win, a well-planned 1-0 is going to be better than a suicidal 7-6 defeat and intelligent managers will still play a containment game where it suits.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Liam O wrote: »
    or just play the full game with 2 footballs (I love fairytale threads :D )

Added time multi-ball!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

A tight cagey 1-0 is often much more entertaining than a 3-0, so I'd be in favour of a points system that keeps the scoring as close as possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭pokerface_me

Why oh why do people want to fix things that aren't broke??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

no, dont think thatd work....grand the way it is...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

They ought to go back to the 2 points for a win. Defence is also an art in football, one which is sadly underrated. Next you'll want a point for most corners earned in a game, and another for least cards.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

nipplenuts wrote: »
    They ought to go back to the 2 points for a win. Defence is also an art in football, one which is sadly underrated. Next you'll want a point for most corners earned in a game, and another for least cards.

lol...thatd mean if you draw 2 games its like winning one and losing one, thus the gap between the good and bad sides would be less with the lesser poorer teams possibly finishing ahead of the better side...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭johnnyjb

Dont think that would work at club level. Imagine all the tv shows or return travel, stadium staff etc.. that would be effected by a game delay that might or not happen every week. You cant expect people to free up an hour or so after the game is supposedly finished for a decider shoot out. In the world cup maybe or a big tournament.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Does anyone remember the Colombian league trying something insane like this one year? They awarded 6 points for a win, and points for goals, cards, corners, throw-ins even. It was like some real-live fantasy football, before FF was invented.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Does anyone remember the Colombian league trying something insane like this one year? They awarded 6 points for a win, and points for goals, cards, corners, throw-ins even. It was like some real-live fantasy football, before FF was invented.

Thank you for understanding :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

I don't agree with going back to 2 points for a win, but I agree that a good defensive performance can also be a joy to watch.

What do people want, every game being a 4-3 cracker? These games are special because they are rare.. if they happened every week people would soon be looking to change it back to what it is now.

Any suggestion of giving bonus points for goals scored etc. is also ridiculous. Although Spurs would have challenged for the title under Ozzie Ardiles and his 5-0-5 formation when 4-3 crackers were a weekly occurrence!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Ddint he League of Ireland try something for one season...away win 4pts, home win 3pts, away draw 2pts, home draw 1pt. Anyone remeember this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I largely agree. I have always thought that a scoreless draw should get 1 point, a score draw earn 2 points and a win should earn 4 points.

johnnyjb wrote: »
    Dont think that would work at club level. Imagine all the tv shows or return travel, stadium staff etc.. that would be effected by a game delay that might or not happen every week. You cant expect people to free up an hour or so after the game is supposedly finished for a decider shoot out. In the world cup maybe or a big tournament.

Im not talking about extra-time, just a penalty shoot out if it ends in a draw

Boskowski wrote: »
    I believe that would make things worse. You'd get teams clinging on to a draw because they're specialized penalty takers. Now you actually reward negative play even more by offering them a chance for more than one point.

Does this not happen anyway when usually one team is happy with the draw or in some cases both teams settle for the draw.

I just hate draws. I hate going to big matches and then going home with the anti-climax of a draw. I hate them with a passion. Especially in a derby match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,600 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Why do people think score draws are worth more than 0-0 draws? Defending is just as important as attacking, and even though attacking may be more entertaining, I suggest if you find football too boring as it is, you should find a new sport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭johnnyjb

Im not talking about extra-time, just a penalty shoot out if it ends in a draw

Ya and a penalty shootout doesnt happen in a split second therefore it would be delayed :confused: ordinary league games are scheduled and need to give way for other television programmes. You cant be expected miss a penalty shootout cause corrie is on or vice versa.

Television made the Prem L and therefore it dictates its timetable to a degree. I heard a story that there no Sat 3pm matches shown in England to help lower league attendances

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Penos at the end would be good.

Or 10-minute, 7-a-side periods of Golden Goal until there's a winner (like the NHL).

Bonus point if you win by 4 and score more goals in the second half than the first!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭DerekDGoldfish

Ddint he League of Ireland try something for one season...away win 4pts, home win 3pts, away draw 2pts, home draw 1pt. Anyone remeember this?

remember it? My dad cant fotget it would still (until recently) say that was a good 4 points for pats last week away from home

AFAIk it only lasted 1 season before the LOI realised it was too ahead of its time.

Bonus points for goals is a stuipid idea it works in rugby because at international level you have to give the top 10 side something to aim for when they are playing a non top 10 side to stop them falling asleap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

10 points for a win and firing squad for the losing team.

Seriously, there's so much wrong with football these days but this ain't one of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

The switch to 3 pfaw didn't significantly reduce the percentage of draws.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

You cannot synthetically increase the number of goals per game with any amount of tweaking. No matter how many points you award for a win, a well-planned 1-0 is going to be better than a suicidal 7-6 defeat and intelligent managers will still play a containment game where it suits.
    Des wrote: »
    The switch to 3 pfaw didn't significantly reduce the percentage of draws.

/ thread.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭SuperInfinity

How the hell would penalties at the end of every match be a good idea? :confused:

That's the stupidest, most retarded thing I've ever heard in my entire life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

This thread is Pointless!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Does the J league still do penos at the end of draws or did they do away with it?

How the hell would penalties at the end of every match be a good idea? :confused:

Because they are ridiculously exciting and there is a winner and loser at the end instead of the pointlessness of a draw.

Advertisement