Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applied Maths - what did you think?

• 25-06-2010 1:21pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I thought it was ok. Some of the questions, e.g. Question 7(B) were a bit complicated but other than that, the paper was fine.

Some of my answers did not work out (e.g. I got the acceleration of the wedge in terms of m - for some reason my m's didn't cancel as they should) but the majority of the marks go for the effort so I'm not worried.

What did you think of it?

YAY - summer \0/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭validusername

I thought it was ok. I definitely passed it anyway which is good sign! ;)
    Strangely enough I ended up doing the Relative Velocity question and it was actually manageable! Projectiles was a nice question too. Anyway, I'm not too worried about not getting the right answers, once you get the method right you get most of the marks.

More importantly, our summer officially begins now!! Wooooo :D

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Xevkin

Anyone else think it was the easiest paper in living memory? :P I wasn't expecting to count it at all but it looks like a B1 min. ->and was 10 b ii) real!? It could have just been distance divided by average speed! :O But yeah, most important thing is that we're free.......!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 sarahisdeadly

Some bits were very handy, others not so much.

Really annoyed I couldn't get 8, my best and favourite question! But sure I got answers for everything, nevermind if they're right...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Very, very easy. I was shocked, I was really quite worried about it. Hydros, Q10, Q2, and Q7 were particularily easy. I got the following answers, if anyone is interested:

Q2(b) 12.5 m/s due west
    Q3(b)(i)tan-1(rt3/4)
    (ii)20rt7
    Q4(b)(ii)3g/11
    Q7(b)(ii)5W/4
    (iii)2W
    Q8(b)(ii)2ag(rt3)/b
    Q9(b)(i)5/9
    (b)(ii)2W/5
    Q10(b)(i)5.18 m/s
    (ii)45.28 s

Didn't bother taking my answers to the (a) parts down.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭FreeT

Thanks EuropeanSon, got most of the same.

Here's these as well:

1ai: -1
    1aii: -1.167
    1b: 300

2ai: i-4j

3a: 10.96

4ai: T=12g/49
    4aii: 0.8

5aii: 70.3125%
    5bi: (3+k)/(2+4k)
    5bii: Kept getting k greater than 0.5 !! :confused:

9a: 610 kg/m^3

10a: y = sqrt(e^x^2 -1)

I almost though 2b was a trick question - why would a woman be on a motor cycle? (jk) :D

I'm finally free!!!1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭blubloblu

Was the very last question a trick?

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Taco Chips

:D I'm getting the same answers. Yup yup, summer '10.

I'm pretty sure your question 9(a) is wrong FreeT. Did you forget the sphere is hollow?
    The material is only 0.2 metres thick. I got 1250 kg/m^3 for that, I think.

I almost though 2b was a trick question - why would a woman be on a motor cycle? (jk
    Lol. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭RexMundi

Was pretty sweet.

I basically got 8 questions down so hopefully at least 6 of them are right or thereabouts for the A1.

Q10 b (ii).. that had to be just average speed just equals distance over time doesn't it?

• Advertisement

I wasnt too sure about 9a. 610 just sounded too un-dense. And ye, I noticed it was hollow.

I thought I went about it the right way tho, and i double checked. I must have just made an arithmetic error somewhere...

Anyone prove 5bii?

Also, I spent 5 mins looking at 10bii. I was halfway through double checking it with differential equations but it was turning out really awkward.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭johnk123

I thought it was a very doable paper. I did Q1,2,3,4,5,10 and got similar answers to the above posters which is reassuring I guess! Only part was slightly dodgy for me was the Q5 b with the inequality... was doing something stupid!!! Oh well.... hopefully not too many marks lost! If everybody found it easy i'm sure the marking scheme will probably be rough. Does anybody know approx. what the A percentage is in Applied each year?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

For the last part of ten, it was just average speed = total distance / total time formula - my Applied Maths teacher said that was the way to do that (only because they specified 'average' speed)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭johnk123

For the last part of ten, it was just average speed = total distance / total time formula - my Applied Maths teacher said that was the way to do that (only because they specified 'average' speed)
    This sounds right to me. I was about 10 lines into it using differentials but it was getting wierd so when I went back to check if i'd made a mistake i noticed the "average" and went about it using total distance/total time method. Hopefully we are right!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Question 6 was almost hilariously easy. Well the part B was anyway. The part A was a bit more challenging. Once the particle left the sphere I forgot to take only the vertical component of the velocity, but instead I took the speed (energy at B = energy at Q).

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭jreanor

FreeT wrote: »
    I wasnt too sure about 9a. 610 just sounded too un-dense. And ye, I noticed it was hollow.

I thought I went about it the right way tho, and i double checked. I must have just made an arithmetic error somewhere...

I also got 610. Dont think its right but this is what I did:

Density of Sphere = Density of Water x 0.61

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Bottled it and did ordinary. Twas grand :D

johnk123 wrote: »
    Does anybody know approx. what the A percentage is in Applied each year?

Applied maths has one of the highest percentages of As. Dont quote me on this, but i think its about 18%. Ur more likely 2 get an a1 than a b1. :D

The percentage of As was 24% last year, 26% the year before. That includes A2s.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 mark.oc

That was an incredible paper. I got 7 questions done and re-done to check my answers, and still had a half hour to spare.

I've only one answer which I have seen so far which was 9 (a). I got 1250 for that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement