Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need to sell my cat :(

Options
  • 25-06-2010 1:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭

I have a cat, she's eight years old. I need to sell her due to a very complicated situation. She is fully vaccinated and nuetered, does anybody know how I would go about selling her?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭00112984

Surely your priority is getting her a good home where she can spend the rest of her life and not actually getting money for her?!

The mind boggles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

It will be very difficult for her to settle elsewhere if she's been with you for 8 years.

There is no way someone will buy her from you. There are absolutely thousands of cats in shelters that need to be rehomed & a lot will inevitably get put down.

Is there anyway you can keep your cat? If not, I would just go down the road of finding a good home, as the previous poster says

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Cook!eMonster

Well when I said sell the cat I meant giving her to a good home, I just couldnt think of better wording other than "Need to get rid of my cat" which didnt sound too nice!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

Well when I said sell the cat I meant giving her to a good home, I just couldnt think of better wording other than "Need to get rid of my cat" which didnt sound too nice!!!!!!

Sell indicates the exchanging of money for an object, you mean rehome.

I'd suss it out amongst some friends. Maybe there are some that have cats already or used to have a cat. You'd be surprised who might have been toying with the idea for a while. The great thing about taking in an older cat is they are already house trained & quite cuddly & not nuts like kittens (although I like them too!)

Ah, "rehoming" is a different kettle of fish. Maybe edit the title of this thread? There are loads of animal lovers and people involved with shelters and rehoming agencies on here who might know of someone on the look-out or can offer other suggestions.

Maybe start by telling us where you're based? Throw up a few cute pictures of the moggie too. We're sticklers for cute kitty pics.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

00112984 wrote: »
    Surely your priority is getting her a good home where she can spend the rest of her life and not actually getting money for her?!

The mind boggles.

Ah, when I read the title I knew this would come up, just wasn't sure when exactly. First reply? good going ;)

What business is it of yours if the OP choses to sell the cat or give it away? Surely if people love animals that much they can purchase them?

Your logic would suggest that businesses cease to sell live animals and put welfare first. Or is it differant for pet shops?
    Ah, "rehoming" is a different kettle of fish. Maybe edit the title of this thread? There are loads of animal lovers and people involved with shelters and rehoming agencies on here who might know of someone on the look-out or can offer other suggestions.

Maybe start by telling us where you're based? Throw up a few cute pictures of the moggie too. We're sticklers for cute kitty pics.

OP, do not be pressured into giving the cat away because of somebody elses moral issues. If you want to sell it, then sell it. You have put a lot of time, effort and money into raising the cat, to ask for money is not outlandish.

If it's a nice cat, friendly etc etc, you might find somebody to buy it from you.

I have no issue with the OP selling the cat if that's what he wishes to do. I was simply pointing out that the priority with the cat should be placing it in a loving home, not "selling" it. If people on here didn't take a "moral" issue with threads such as this (or as this one appeared, the OP then cleared the situation up) then the forum would be full of ads for backyard "breeders" and their ilk.

As it turns out, the OP came back and corrected himself so it seems I was right in my thinking, selling an 8-year old cat is not the best way of going about finding it a new home.
    I then gave him what I consider to be good advice on rehoming the cat.

Seriously, there are very, very few people who would consider buying an 8 year old cat and, as this is an animal forum not a money forum, my advice was given in the best interest of the cat and not the OP's wallet.

I have no issue with the OP selling the cat if that's what he wishes to do. I was simply pointing out that the priority with the cat should be placing it in a loving home, not "selling" it. If people on here didn't take a "moral" issue with threads such as this (or as this one appeared, the OP then cleared the situation up) then the forum would be full of ads for backyard "breeders" and their ilk.

As it turns out, the OP came back and corrected himself so it seems I was right in my thinking, selling an 8-year old cat is not the best way of going about finding it a new home.
    I then gave him what I consider to be good advice on rehoming the cat.

Seriously, there are very, very few people who would consider buying an 8 year old cat and, as this is an animal forum not a money forum, my advice was given in the best interest of the cat and not the OP's wallet.

?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

but come on, even if you're talking about a pedigree - an 8 year old cat is a liability, no-one is going to pay for one. I took in a cat that age as a favour for someone, and though he was lovely:o, it ended up costing a lot as he aged quite quickly from that point.
    Good luck with rehoming her OP, your best hope is to talk a friend into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

I cannot believe someone is talking about selling cats as if that's an acceptable way to 'get rid' of them. Pretty disgusted tbh.

My opinion is that if you adopt a cat you have taken responsibility for them for the rest of their lives. They are not toys or things that can be just 'given' away ffs, they are completely dependent on us humans.

If you can't give a pet your full time, love and care for its entire life then please don't adopt. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Kimia wrote: »
    I cannot believe someone is talking about selling cats as if that's an acceptable way to 'get rid' of them. Pretty disgusted tbh.

My opinion is that if you adopt a cat you have taken responsibility for them for the rest of their lives. They are not toys or things that can be just 'given' away ffs, they are completely dependent on us humans.

If you can't give a pet your full time, love and care for its entire life then please don't adopt. :mad:

The OP says this is because of a complicated situation; please trust that decision and think not like this.

They "could" have simply had the cat put down or abandoned it; good for them that they came here seeking a better solution.

Pedigree sell; why not a beautiful older cat? At least if someone is paying for it, their intention is good.

Situations arise when these things happen; we are fighting eviction here and a terrible worry in my heart is our animals. We know that we may have to part with them. All are older rescues.

Things happen; surely we on this board need to be here for people when this kind of need arises.

To show compassion and charity.

Graces7 wrote: »

To show compassion and charity.

I'm all for showing compassion and charity to the cat, they didn't choose to be adopted/given away.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

OP, do not be pressured into giving the cat away because of somebody elses moral issues.

totally off topic ...but what the heck ...

All I can say is ROFL

There is fighting the high horse brigade (a badge of honour for every proud keyboard warrior) and then there is fighting windmills :D

Cats in this country can consider themselves lucky if they are (left) alive at all ...encouraging people to sell an older "second hand" cat just to get one over on the "moral brigade" just shows severe detachment from realism.

@OP ...sorry, can't help, have three older rescues already. Their noses would be seriously out of joint if we tried to introduce another.

I'm all for showing compassion and charity to the cat, they didn't choose to be adopted/given away.

Better that than pts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

A lot of rescue places have a mandatory donation so I don't see what the harm is as long as it is not something extortionate and the cats vaccinations are up to date with a vaccination card.

[

If you can't give a pet your full time, love and care for its entire life then please don't adopt. :mad:[/QUOTE]

OK; so if say I get too ill /old to care for the cats, or die?

If I am evicted from my house illegally, or the lease is not renewed( landlord has returned from overseas and wants his house back after we had been told we could be here years) and we cannot find anywhere we can have pets?

By your criteria, no-one then "should" have pets.

A lot of rescue places have a mandatory donation so I don't see what the harm is as long as it is not something extortionate and the cats vaccinations are up to date with a vaccination card.

Thank you; you posted that before I could;) So true..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

, they are completely dependent on us humans.

No they're not.

OP where you based??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

All the injured, diseased, parasite-ridden strays I've rescued say different.

boomerang wrote: »
    All the injured, diseased, parasite-ridden strays I've rescued say different.

Youre saying cats need humans?? They dont. They dnt need us to feed them.
    <aybe to get their shots alright but how did they survive before?? They dont depend on us.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

Are you kidding me? The three I have here, all rescue, depend VERY much on me. If it was NOT for me the 19 year old would have died 19 years ago, the 14 year old one was ALMOST dead from infection when I took him in and the baby of the group now 8 was blind, was riddled with with fleas and cat flu and only 6 weeks old when he was found on the side of a dusty road. So yeah, bull, they do depend on us.
    Looking at some of the poor miserable uncared for basterds round here whose owners barely look up or down at them, I wouldn't wish that life on any cat. We practically kept two poor old Toms alive this winter by leaving them enough dry food to make it through. And trust me, had we not fed them the would be very dead by now.

Fatmammycat, iv read back my posts and i realise what it sounds like. As to not cause an arguement ill pm you. Im not the best at explaining things by writing. you'll get a pm soon

• Registered Users Posts: 11,938 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

smileyvault-popcorn.gif

scudzilla wrote: »
    smileyvault-popcorn.gif

No dont expect an arguement:D I re read what i wrote and i know it sounded bad. Im not the best at putting my thoughts to paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Sorry for going off topic OP but here's how I see it, Dusty ;)

Yes, in terms of finding food, generally cats can fend for themselves - although the kind of scraps that stray and feral cats get by on don't lend themselves to good health. Birds and rodents that cats prey on carry parasites, and unless someone's worming the cat, it can have a very deliterious effect on their health over time.

There are numerous diseases rampant in domestic cat populations - FIV, FeLV, panleukopaenia, the various kinds of cat flu... Without human intervention through vaccination in the first instance, and veterinary care, these diseases spread and an untreated cat will suffer a painful and in some cases, protracted death.

Stray and feral cats face daily risks and hazards that their wild ancestors never had to cope with - dog attacks, poisoning, vehicle traffic, snares, and the attentions of people that want to harm them. A stray or feral cat in an urban environment has a lifespan of about two years.

Contrast all of the above with a cat who has a loving pet home. The average lifespan of an indoor cat is about 15 years!

I took in a stray tom cat last week. He was full of cat lice and his skin is full of abrasions from scratching himself to relieve the itch. He's anaemic from the lice. He's been living on scraps thrown out by staff in a hotel -milk and bread mostly. So he's malnourished and his coat which should be black, is brown. He has blocked tear ducts and weepy, infected eyes. His ears were full of ear mites. At some point he was hit by a car and lost most of his teeth so he can't chew. He also broke his front leg and the break never healed - he has an incredibly painful non-union fracture and the leg will have to be amputated when he's well enough for surgery. Worst of all he's not neutered and contracted FIV (a cat-specific virus that progresses in a similar way to HIV to AIDS) through fighting with other toms.

What would his fate have been if I had not intervened? Are they not dependent on us to relieve suffering?

So while cats are not entirely dependent on humans - they stand a far greater chance of a long and healthy life with a human caretaker. :)

Thank you Fatmammycat and Boomerang for explaining what I thought was obvious!

Grace, in my opinion if there are circumstances beyond your control (ie your own death) then you have taken care of the pet to the best of your ability - obviously there is nothing you can do.

However in the case of the apartment/landlord problem I wouldn't give in. I would either find somewhere that accepted pets and pay extra or lie. For example, if I was in your position I would just have animals secretly from the landlord. I know it's not the right thing to do but I don't care, if I have adopted pets they stay with me. And if I have to pay an extra deposit or pay for a broken lease etc so be it.

Thank you Fatmammycat and Boomerang for explaining what I thought was obvious!

Listen, i said i re read what i wrote and it sounded wrong. I pmed FMC and explained what i meant ( i hope). You are looking too deep into what i wrote.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

I have a cat, she's eight years old. I need to sell her due to a very complicated situation. She is fully vaccinated and nuetered, does anybody know how I would go about selling her?

Hey OP

If your cat is a pure breed, you may be able to find a breed rehoming agency that will take her and rehome her, and may even get you a nominal fee for her. When it comes to pure breed cats, there are a lot of breed-crazy people who adore certain breeds. Many of those people have set up breed-specific rescues for the cats.

If your cat is not a pure breed, you have a number of options. "Selling" your cat per se will probably not work, purely because a moggy is not an item of high demand. However, placing a nominal fee on your animal to reflect the vet work you have paid for in the past is not unreasonable and can help ensure that the new home is 'serious' about the cat. Assuming the cat is wormed, fleaed, fully vaccinated and neutered, but is still an eight year old moggy, I would say around 50 Euro is not unreasonable just to deter enquiries that are not serious.

(And to be honest, if you find the right home, you can always waive the fee - it's like a security deposit, really, not a cost.)

In order to rehome your cat, you can advertise yourself, or you can enlist the help of a rescue agency. Rescue agencies may request that you surrender the cat to them if you are not already a foster carer for them. It's up to you if you want to go that route.

Eight years is not an unreasonable age for a cat. She is certainly not old in the grand scheme of things. Unfortunately cats have been such disposable pets that people don't realise that in the right circumstances, they easily outstrip dogs in age. Start mixing in circles where people prevent their cats from roaming, and suddenly you start hearing about cats that are 18, 19, 20 years of age, and more - 24, 25, 26. (Yes, seriously. The oldest cat on current record is Kataleena Lady, who lives in Melbourne, and was born in March 1977 - to the best of my knowledge she's still living.) Additionally cats can certainly reach age 20 without appearing excessively geriatric.

My vet has just taken a 21 year old tuxedo gentleman from a no-kill shelter (where he was surrendered because his owner had to go into full-time nursing home care and was not permitted to take him), and Winston, as he is known, has become the social star of the vet practice (including bailing up unruly puppies whose owners won't keep them on a lead).

If you are going to try rehoming the cat yourself, accept that you will have to advertise her. Figure out her good points, and write up a promotional blurb, with a good photograph (or a couple of cute photographs - a close-up face shot with a wider body shot is a good mix, to show both her cuteness and her colouring). In your blurb, use phrases like 'gracefully middle aged lady', 'fully vet worked - all vaccinations, worms and flea treatments up to date, plus desexed so no unexpected kittens!' and if she's a lap cat, big that up as well - lots of people love an affectionate older cat. Kittens are a lot of work - some folks would love a cat who's done that phase already and who'll cuddle them on the couch or sleep on the bed without shredding the curtains, turning the kitchen roll to confetti and making the leather couch look like a cheese grater.

Give a good, honest reason for rehoming her, and offer her with her bed, bowls, toys and litter trays.

Then advertise her here on boards in the rehoming thread, any other free online animal site you can find; put her on the notice board in the local supermarket, on the notice board at the vets, so on and so forth. This is where the 50 euro fee will put off people who aren't serious. I know there's a recession, but honestly, if you can't afford 50 quid for a fully vet worked cat, you can't afford a cat in the first place. Getting a kitten for free will cost you more because you'll have to pay for vaccs/worms/fleas/neuter yourself.

Finally do her the honour of 'checking out' any potential new owner. It's okay for you to ask if you can come visit them at their home before you give them your cat. Additionally you'll need to ask them to keep her indoors-only for at least the first two weeks, preferably longer, so she bonds properly with her new home - and her new family.

Woooaaahhh...hold on a second, "get rid"? I said that because I was being ridiculed for saying selling when I could not think of a better way to say it other than "get rid", I explained that, so don't go saying "selling cats as if that's an acceptable way to get rid of them", at the end of the day, you have NO idea how long i've had the cat, what I've done for the cat, why I must re-home her, so maybe jump off your high horse, because I guarantee if you knew the full lengths of the situation, You'd HARDLY blame me for re-homing her, like seriously, the situation of re-homing her is difficult enough without posters like you coming on and accussing me of thinking of my cat as a "toy", or "things that can be given away", if I thought my cat was a toy, would I have gotten her as a kitten, kept her for 8 years, nuetered her, vaccinated her, fed and watered her, and only re-homed her as a VERY last resort? Cop on.
    Dusty87 wrote: »
    No they're not.

OP where you based??

I'm based in Dublin 15 Dusty87.

And just for the record, I will gladly explain to whoever takes the cat what the situation is, as I think they have a right to know why I am rehoming a perfectly healthy eight year old cat! Thanks for the replies :) Especially the helpful ones. I'm trying to put up pictures but it wont let me :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭DubMedic

I'm trying to put up pictures but it wont let me :(

Use http://wthax.org/

Lots of Boardsies use it, easy enough to use.

Advertisement