Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Black Gold BGT3595 Now Available (Dual DVB-S2 + DVB-T + Analogue)

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

just ordered two of these, 1 for me, 1 for a friends, will be trying to get tt working on mediaportal running on xp, will post back with results, however i am considering ditching mediaportal for windows 7 mc, after 4 years if using mediaportal i'm finally getting sick of the overhead involved

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 204 ✭✭sfag31

mossym wrote: »
    just ordered two of these, 1 for me, 1 for a friends, will be trying to get tt working on mediaportal running on xp, will post back with results, however i am considering ditching mediaportal for windows 7 mc, after 4 years if using mediaportal i'm finally getting sick of the overhead involved

their support people have said it will work with mediaportal. I also got a signal - see more below.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 204 ✭✭sfag31

finally got this card to work with WIN 7 32 bit to work.

Stripped out some USB connections and other cards from the PC.

Uninstalled any other pvr s/w

Tried the media portal tuner setup.

Found a signal. The 1st dvb-s port on the card is the 2nd dvb-s tuner listed in the software. Hurrah.

Re ran MCE setup from beginning

Selected the 2nd dvb-s tuner only whilst leaving the lnb supply connected to the first plug.

This time MCE got a signal.

The DVB-T (Irish channels) are listed immediately after the scan the DVB-S channels (UK freesat) are not – However they are there in the guide so that is OK.

Not sure what was different this time but happy now that it does work.

Separate issue but bugging me was the large MCE wtv files.

It seems that the recording quality was set to the highest settings – I’ve adjusted it down – I expect they will be half the size (from previous experience – still big though. Not sure why they need to be so large as I thought digital pvr software capture the signal in an already compressed state?.

It would still appear that any programs captured on Irish digital telly cannot be converted/trancoded and therefore cannot be played by anything other than a pc with MCE on it.

The support team eventually replied to my mails – it took a week but I got two yesterday.

I would conclude life would have been easier if the following was in place.

- The card should have a basic installation diagram showing where to connect the power lead. This was new to me and I'm used to pci cards.
    - The card should come with a large pin and small pin power extension lead – crucial that.
    - Some indication is given mapping the lnb port at the back (there are two) to the tuner name in MCE.
    - Their support reply to mails more quickly. When you are in the dark you lose faith.

Hope this helps.

installed with mediaportal over the weekend, after no signal first on dvb-s remembered about the extra power supply,then all worked fine...been running perfectly since

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭Neffa2

Hi

Do you get the RTE HD test transmission with the card on DTT? I'm not sure if you need a UK-spec "Freeview HD" card to get them; if you do, I assume this version of the Blackgold won't work?

Help/comments appreciated!

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Mr McBoatface

Neffa2 wrote: »
    Hi

Do you get the RTE HD test transmission with the card on DTT? I'm not sure if you need a UK-spec "Freeview HD" card to get them; if you do, I assume this version of the Blackgold won't work?

Help/comments appreciated!

Thanks

The card is DVB-T and Saorview is DVB-T MPEG4 not DVB-T2 MPEG4 like FreeviewHD. The card will work perfectly well with Saorview including the HD material. The decoding is done via a h.264 codec and not by hardware.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

so is everyone finding this card stable?
    thinking to pick up one soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭Neffa2

jobyrne30 wrote: »
    The card is DVB-T and Saorview is DVB-T MPEG4 not DVB-T2 MPEG4 like FreeviewHD. The card will work perfectly well with Saorview including the HD material. The decoding is done via a h.264 codec and not by hardware.

Great - exactly the clarification I needed. Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

Is there any alternatives to this on the market or is this the only one with this many inputs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭gtg60

zuroph wrote: »
    Is there any alternatives to this on the market or is this the only one with this many inputs?

I don't think you'll find anything comparable for the price. I waited a long time for this to come out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭dmck

You might consider the Pinnacle 7010ix, it has 2 dvb-s tuners, 2x dvb-t and an analogue tuner, they are out of production but you can grab one off the German eBay site for anything from 30 euro approx. The Pinnacle doesn’t do dvb-s2, which BBC are rumoured to be switching to but when is anyone’s guess.

dmck wrote: »
    You might consider the Pinnacle 7010ix, it has 2 dvb-s tuners, 2x dvb-t and an analogue tuner, they are out of production but you can grab one off the German eBay site for anything from 30 euro approx. The Pinnacle doesn’t do dvb-s2, which BBC are rumoured to be switching to but when is anyone’s guess.

I run both, go with the Blackgold.

for case height issues Id say im stuck with the blackgold anyway. is buying direct the only option?

for case height issues Id say im stuck with the blackgold anyway. is buying direct the only option?

Yep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭techguy

Hi Guys,

Sorry to bump this thread but it may be best to keep all questions/experiences in one thread..

Anyway, how are people getting on with this card these days? I'm thinking about getting one for SageTV. Has anybody gotten it to work on that platform yet?

Thanks.

works fine, handled the bbc hd move to dvb-s2 with ease

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

Looks from their site that this card is no longer available for retail purchase, is that right?

Was thinking of getting one to upgrade from my Pinnacle 7010 (or is that 9010?) but I need 2 tuners for UK free-to-air and 2 tuners for Irish saorview terrestial and I don't think the new BGT3630 would give that. Am I missing something or are there any alternative better options out there?

looks like it is withdrawn alright, hadn't heard anything about that. they don't have a replacement yet, nothing with that specific combo of tuners at least

mossym wrote: »
    looks like it is withdrawn alright, hadn't heard anything about that. they don't have a replacement yet, nothing with that specific combo of tuners at least

Single tuner 3630, DVB-S2 and DVB-T2, supposed to be out next month.
    No dual tuner news yet though.

ugh, why the replacement? if it aint broke... etc? Is there new features? link?

• Advertisement

ugh, why the replacement? if it aint broke... etc? Is there new features? link?

DVB-T tuners being replaced by DVB-T2 ones
    http://shop.blackgold.tv/epages/BT3159.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/BT3159/Products/BGT3630

no effect on Irish saorview usage then?

hang on, its not dual dvb s??? does that mean no more record one channel, watch another????

I thought it needed two feeds for HD too?

Looks like that's not the replacement is it?
    2 single tuners only

subway wrote: »
    Looks like that's not the replacement is it?
    2 single tuners only
    `

Sorry, my bad :o

No replacement on the cards yet then, surely they'll be launching a dual version soon though??

gtg60 wrote: »
    `

Sorry, my bad :o

No replacement on the cards yet then, surely they'll be launching a dual version soon though??
    or you have to buy two of them :eek:

At that point id just go hauupage or pinnacle, at least you have some hope of support :D

ok, need a new recommendation for a dual DVBs DVBT card, want to feed in freesat and saorview, and be able to record any channel while watching any other. HD required also.

doesnt exist, and you will be lucky enough to find a dual dvb-s2 card

you will need 3 cards to get what you want

• Advertisement

subway wrote: »
    doesnt exist, and you will be lucky enough to find a dual dvb-s2 card

you will need 3 cards to get what you want

wasnt the 3595 capable?

Advertisement