Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Subs in injury time

• 25-06-2010 1:58pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I can't understand why there has never been a move to eradicate this nonsense of managers making 'tactical' substitutions in injury time. It is, and always has been, blatant time-wasting and totally against the spirit of the game. It's frustrating for the opposition and anyone watching the game to see this carry-on, time after time.

There should be no tactical substitutions allowed after the 80th minute, IMO and any injury substitutions should have to be validated by the ref or an independent physio.

I know that last bit is pie-in-the-sky and potentially dangerous but I didn't want to appear as a crank by suggesting that a team should just play on with 10 men if a player is injured in the closing minutes.

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I can't understand why there has never been a move to eradicate this nonsense of managers making 'tactical' substitutions in injury time. It is, and always has been, blatant time-wasting and totally against the spirit of the game. It's frustrating for the opposition and anyone watching the game to see this carry-on, time after time.

There should be no tactical substitutions allowed after the 80th minute, IMO and any injury substitutions should have to be validated by the ref or an independent physio.

I know that last bit is pie-in-the-sky and potentially dangerous but I didn't want to appear as a crank by suggesting that a team should just play on with 10 men if a player is injured in the closing minutes.
    Banning subs isn't the right thing as they are an essential part of the game. What needs to be done is booking of players who take ages to get off the pitch

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Difficult. Because I think it's perfectly acceptable game ethics to make a genuinely tactical substitution - like bringing on that 3rd forward for the endgame. Or what if a player is not injured but simply exhausted?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

As I understand it the ref is supposed to add on 30 seconds for each substitution. In theory that ought to make it a foolish move to throw on a sub when you want time to run out, but I think the problem is referees don't enforce that rule enough.

I don't like seeing it myself. I'd like to see the clock stopped for every substitution as I think that would largely cut out the practice.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

How about you can't make a substitution if you are ahead?
    Banning subs isn't the right thing as they are an essential part of the game.

How essential is a player brought on in the 94th minute who will in all likelihood not touch the ball?

It's not just the refs who don't add on the correct injury time, the whole notion of how to calculate is completely unclear. As far as I understand it, the minimum is 30 seconds per sub (usually 3 minutes a game then) plus time for actual injuries and some discretionary measure. Realistically all games should ahve at 5 minutes injury time if this were the case, yet people seem to go nuts if more than 3 is played.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,778 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Banning subs is stupid.

The simple, obvious method is the best - just add on the proper amount of additional time.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

How essential is a player brought on in the 94th minute who will in all likelihood not touch the ball?
    Not at all, however bringing on a defender 1 minute into 4 minutes injury time to protect a lead is perfect valid, and should not be cut out imo. Where do you draw the line?

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

keane2097 wrote: »
    Banning subs is stupid.

Fair enough, but can you at least say why?
    Where do you draw the line?

90 minutes. It's not like injury time should be a surprise to anyone and if you intend to make a defensive change, by all means go ahead, before normal time is over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

90 minutes. It's not like injury time should be a surprise to anyone and if you intend to make a defensive change, by all means go ahead, before normal time is over.

Because managers can legitimately want to change the tactics after the 80th minute.

Just enforce the existing rules. If a player is taking too long to leave the pitch, give him a card.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

I can see how annoying the rule can be but i think it's grand, it's not as if it benefits a small number of teams every time. Both teams i've played for and against have used this and i have no problem with it.

There are alot more important issues in the game that need attention before this.

Because managers can legitimately want to change the tactics after the 80th minute.

Just enforce the existing rules. If a player is taking too long to leave the pitch, give him a card.

80th is maybe too early, fair enough, but 90+, nahh.
    I don't see how booking a player who's leaving the game will make any difference :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,778 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Because there are trivially obvious legitimate reasons to want to make substitutions at any point in a game, up to the final whistle.

There is a perfectly suitable method of remedying this problem already available, just use that.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

I agree - book him if he is taking too long, it is a legitimate booking for timewasting already being used for players wasting time during the game. It is also important for the ref to make sure he is adding on the 30 seconds on for each sub, even if it is made in the 92nd minute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Doesn't the time get added for the amount of time taken to make it?

Also banning tactical subs after the 90, will just lead to more players faking injury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

impossible to implement, what if a player gets injured?

how will he be assessed by the ref/physio?

you have to allow it, nothing you can do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Anderson was brought on in the CL final in the last minute of extra time in order to take a penalty kick, i.e. tactical reasons. Furthermore, bringing on another defender for the last minute can make a tactical difference.
    The real problem is with refs, who should literally look at their watch the second the board goes up, and add the appropriate time onto the game. But they don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

meh heskey was brought on against slovenia to defend a corner so ya....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

In fairness, the whole notion of injury time is a bit ridiculous. If we actually added on the necessary time for when the ball goes out of play, matches would be twice as long.

I guess I'm on a hiding to nothing here :) I'm just a bit surprised it doesn't annoy the hell out of everyone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

The ref shouldnt be the timekeeper. Have the 4th official look after the clock and stop it where appropriate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,950 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Myself and my Dad were on about this the last day too and we agreed that once the 90 mins are up, they shouldn't be allowed to make a substitution. It's really annoying and pointless IMO...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

The ref should just add 30 seconds on like any other sub. Banning subs would create more problems than it would solve.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Is there some reason they don't adopt the Rugby way of doing things and simply stop the clock so we can all see the current situation. Players feigning injuries will see the clock being stopped and will be less inclined to do it. Same for late substitutions.

Advertisement