Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent Payment Options

Options
  • 25-06-2010 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭

I'm just wondering what the most common payment method(s) is(are)?

4 of us are renting a house and have to pay rent in advance and pay a deposit.

Is it acceptable to pay separately?

Do people pay bankers draft for the first payment and direct debit after that?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭not even wrong

Is it acceptable to pay separately?
    This is up to your landlord but they probably won't allow it because of the extra hassle of collecting 4 rental payments rather than one . Usually one tenant collects the rent from the others and pays the landlord in one lump.
    Do people pay bankers draft for the first payment and direct debit after that?
    Again, up to your landlord, but a bank draft/cheque for the deposit/first month's rent and then the monthly payment by standing order/electronic transfer is fairly standard. Being asked to pay the rent or deposit in cash is very definitely a bad sign.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

why is it a bad sign...

my current gaff I pay cash, whenever I want, the owners are pretty easy going and I pay whatever monies are owned,. usually pay every 3/4 weeks or so.

last house before that was run by belleneds, so it depends on the landlord I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭not even wrong

why is it a bad sign...
    paying in cash isn't a bad sign, but your landlord specifically wanting you to pay cash is a sign that they're probably evading tax which means they're likely to be cowboys in other ways as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭mylittlepony

Quote:
    Originally Posted by x in the city
    why is it a bad sign...

paying in cash isn't a bad sign, but your landlord specifically wanting you to pay cash is a sign that they're probably evading tax which means they're likely to be cowboys in other ways as well.

When you say you pay in cash, I hope you have a rent book (Threshold)for yourself and landlord for proof of payment and receipt.
    If not, this is very bad.

Advertisement