Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone live/lived on North Great Georges Street?

Options
  • 25-06-2010 2:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I need help!
    I'm a girl in her late 20's recently returned to Dublin after years living outside of Dublin. I've found a great reasonably priced large basement apartment on North Great Georges street Dublin 1 that I'm hoping to sign the lease on this weekend. I'll be living on my own. I've mentioned this to a few family members/friends etc and the reaction about North Great Georges Street I have received so far is really negative. Mainly in relation to safety for myself, my apartment getting broken into and my car robbed!
    This has surprised me as the street seems nice and quiet. If anyone has any experience of living on/near North Great Georges st, can you let me know what you think???
    Thanks!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 chocolatekelmo

Hi there,
    It has been a while but I did live on North Great Georges Street, also in a basement flat, about 8 years ago during my first year of college in DIT Mountjoy square. I loved it, obviously the convenience to college was great, but also it was so near town for nights out, catching the train home at the weekends (to Longford at the time), cheap dinners out, the cinema, shopping....the perks were endless! I didnt have a car so cant comment on the on street parking personally, but I dont remember there being any trouble, and some of the other people sharing my building parked on the street with no problems. You get your odd wino hanging around, and in the case of my building they sometimes (very rarely) tried to sleep on the steps at night, or up at the door, but mostly because they were confusing the place with an office building that was not occupied at night time. Once shooed away they left, but this never fell to me as I had my own basement entrance- will be the same for you. No matter where you live in the city centre there wil be junkies parading about (look at the upmarket Dominic Street flats, and the Grand Canal developments (swarming with beggars and homelessness!), just carry the same common sense about with you as you normally would walking down O'Connell Street- no different on North Great Georges Street. The basement I lived in was amazing, full of character- more than you would find in a modern apartment block. I had my own front door (no buzzing in or sharing corridors) and endless benefits on my doorstep. I think you have made a good choice with N Great Georges St- best of luck with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭purpur1

Lived in town for 4 years and loved it, but had my fill in the end. Piece of advice - if you're after quiet, then it's probably not for you - you'll know exactly what i mean when it hits 3am and beyond on a Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday night!!! Also, consider what your neighbours are like, i.e - if you think they might be the type to be partying all night every night right above your head! You'll never really know until you move in though. However, if you're a person who likes going out and isn't bothered by other people making their way home pi**ed after a night out, then go for it. It's a super handy location for work/getting home after a night out. Plus, absloutely everything you want - shops, pubs, transport, is literally only a stones throw away. As for crime, my car was never robbed, apartment was burgaled once (in 4 years) because my moron flatmate left the door unlocked, and you'd get the odd junkie spouting about. I never experienced crime to be as bad as people that live outside the city make it out to be. The most trouble i ever seen was drunk so called "decent" people trying to punch the head off each other after a night out!! There's good and bad aspects to town living and apartment living, but i think the good far out weighs the bad. If you like it, go for it. Sure it'll be an experience!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Karen29

I've decided to bite the bullet and go for it so I paid my deposit and I'm moving in at the end of July. Thanks for the two responses as it helped to finally hear something positive for a change :0)

Advertisement