Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reputable Dog Breeder

Options
  • 25-06-2010 2:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I'm looking into buying a male Samoyed, as they are truly magnificent dogs.

There is a good few ads on DoneDeal for samoyeds, but how can I be sure that the breeder is reputable? I know there are alot of people out there running puppy farms and looking for a quick buck so is there something that I can look for to say that the puppy is healthy and it's not a puppy farm?

cheers,

Kevin.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭paultf

Kevin! wrote: »
    I'm looking into buying a male Samoyed, as they are truly magnificent dogs.

Your best bet is to look at the ikc website and get in touch with a good breeder from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭kassie

Agree with ^^^

Stay away from ads on Donedeal!!!

Irish Samoyed Club
    Mrs. N. Clarke
    Ballintrane House, Fenagh, Co. Carlow.
    (059-9148674)

Contact this lady and with any luck she might be able to put you in contact with a few breeders that may be breeding in the future...

Another alternative is to attend an IKC show, meet the dogs in the fur and get chatting with other sammy owners who might be able to put in you contact with a breeder... not sure what part of the country you are in but alot of shows are held at the National Show Centre beside Dublin Airport most weekend through out the summer!

If you let me know what part of the country you are in i can let you know if there are any upcoming shows in your area!

If you do find a breeder, don't be afraid to ask questions and don't be offended by any questions asked by the breeder... as a reputable breeder will vet a new home for their puppy thoroughly and need to make sure the new home is genuine! A reputable breed may ask you to sign a contract, should have IKC registration papers available to go home with the new puppy and any other relevant info on the breed for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Kevin!

kassie wrote: »
    Agree with ^^^

Stay away from ads on Donedeal!!!

Irish Samoyed Club
    Mrs. N. Clarke
    Ballintrane House, Fenagh, Co. Carlow.
    (059-9148674)

Contact this lady and with any luck she might be able to put you in contact with a few breeders that may be breeding in the future...

Another alternative is to attend an IKC show, meet the dogs in the fur and get chatting with other sammy owners who might be able to put in you contact with a breeder... not sure what part of the country you are in but alot of shows are held at the National Show Centre beside Dublin Airport most weekend through out the summer!

If you let me know what part of the country you are in i can let you know if there are any upcoming shows in your area!

If you do find a breeder, don't be afraid to ask questions and don't be offended by any questions asked by the breeder... as a reputable breeder will vet a new home for their puppy thoroughly and need to make sure the new home is genuine! A reputable breed may ask you to sign a contract, should have IKC registration papers available to go home with the new puppy and any other relevant info on the breed for you.

Thank you for your detailed response :)

Is there much of a price difference between those on DoneDeal and those sourced from reputable breeders?

cheers,

Kevin.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭kassie

Kevin! wrote: »

Is there much of a price difference between those on DoneDeal and those sourced from reputable breeders?

you will prob note a significant difference in the price but its the quality of the dogs lines and its health you will be paying for. If you were to buy from donedeal and a non reputable breeder, you are more than likely going to get a pup that will suffer at some point in its life from health problems which will cost you big time! Ppl often, when buying pedigree dogs, see a lower priced pup and think woohoo, just saved myself €500 there! but long term they end up paying triple that to a vet over the dogs life. I paid €1200 for my dane (which is the going rate for a dane), although at the time they were being sold by non reputable breeders on line for as little as €500.

If you are serious about getting a sammy please don't let a hike in price between donedeal and a legitimate good breeder recommended by the IKC put you off... at the end of the day, reputable breeders don't make money on breeding pups, it costs them believe it or not as they breed for health and temperment of dogs not money!

Advertisement