Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ridley Orion 10050 Road Bike

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

No, great bike, you won't regret it.

It's a great frame, shame they put Shimano on it (I kid, excellent groupset).

The only negative would be the wheels, it's something you can upgrade later for extra bling.

If you are using it for sportives or as an entry to racing then it is perfect, it really won't hold you back at all (and if you think it is then you are delusional).

The frame is on the "overbuilt" side, it's heavier than most and quite stiff, so don't expect to build a weight weenie rig out of it. The ride is also on the firmer side but I think it is worth it in terms of performance. That bike accelerates very well (very beefy rear triangle!).

I have one as well and agree with what Dirk says. Stiff as you could want, although not the lightest. Also, I had to return a frame under warranty to Ridley before and there was no hassle getting a replacement, so in my experience, after sales service is good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,665 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    If you are using it for sportives or as an entry to racing then it is perfect, it really won't hold you back at all (and if you think it is then you are delusional)

Thanks for that reply DV. I am only using it for my own cycling for now - i've got up to the 100+ km cycles on my own on the hybrid and felt it was time for a road bike - didn't want to buy a cheap one now and then get into more serious cycling and have to buy another one next year - hopefully this will keep me going for the next few years. ambition is to do the maracycle and/or the wicklow 200 next year. i have no illusions about a bike holding me back - not since i was overtaken at 35kms an hour uphill on the malahide road by a fat lad on a mountain bike !!!!!!
    I had to return a frame under warranty to Ridley

Thanks James, mind me asking why you had to return a frame ??

I picked up the bike this evening anyway:D

had looked at a few others but for that sort of money there wasn't much competition. i didn't want a planetx. i had a look at the kellys 6.1 but it is two grand - i got the ridley for a lot less than that.

I like the look of the frame too - not very obviously carbon at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭xz

DirkVoodoo wrote: »

The only negative would be the wheels, it's something you can upgrade later for extra bling.

I disagree, been using Fulcrum 7's on my PX for nearly 2 years now, although I have had the rear bearing replaced (due to my size, last year, I wore them out within 6 months). I find them relatively bombproof. The only minus is, changing tyres is a bit of a battle

loving this bike.

just have a quick question.

it cost me 1550 euro.

i cant find any other bike out there with a full carbon frame and ultegra groupset for that kind of money (ok maybe planet x or dolan is similar).

the bike is 8.2 kilos - so not the lightest - but not exactly heavy either.

just looking for (probably neagative) comments - why is this bike so much cheaper than similarly spec'd stuff from say giant, cervelo, pinarolo etc etc ??????

thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭WakeyTyke

I have had this bike for six weeks now and I can't find fault with it. The balance and handling is superb, especially on bad road surfaces.

I've riden a Giant TCR Composite for the past few years and got tired of all the bucking and jolting on poor road surfaces.

I would strongly recommend the Ridley for anyone who does sportives, it's a real pleasure to ride.

great that you like it wakeytyke.

i also think its a great bike.

but i'm more interested in opinions as to why its so much cheaper than comparably spec'd stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

WakeyTyke wrote: »
    I have had this bike for six weeks now and I can't find fault with it. The balance and handling is superb, especially on bad road surfaces.

I've riden a Giant TCR Composite for the past few years and got tired of all the bucking and jolting on poor road surfaces.

I would strongly recommend the Ridley for anyone who does sportives, it's a real pleasure to ride.

Well, for a start it's Ridley's "entry level" carbon frame, and I'm pretty sure that the design has not changed in a few years, just the paint job, so it might be that the frames are cheaper for them to produce without having to do any designing or testing.

Honestly though, I have no idea. It's a great bike, I wouldn't measure it by it's price tag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭ashleey

I was looking at the now sold out cube agree gtc and was recommended this by CSS. It looks like really good value. My only concern is that for my xl size the head tube looks massive. Would it be described as 'relaxed' geometry? This would probably suit anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

ashleey wrote: »
    I was looking at the now sold out cube agree gtc and was recommended this by CSS. It looks like really good value. My only concern is that for my xl size the head tube looks massive.

The head tube is on the long side, but within what can be compensated for by stem choices.

I think the Orion has always been Ridley's budget offering, cheaper due to simpler frame construction and lack of weight weenieness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

I was looking at the now sold out cube agree gtc and was recommended this by CSS. It looks like really good value. My only concern is that for my xl size the head tube looks massive. Would it be described as 'relaxed' geometry? This would probably suit anyway.

what height are you btw?

the cube bikes are very small sizes,

fran oconnor from here is only 5ft nothing, he has to have a 58 cm frame with the Cube, yet its the EXACT same size as his 53cm boardman

so if you're a big fella, you'd wanna make sure the fit is right, and they dont just try and sell you whatever they have in the shop

Agreed. I'm 6 foot 4 and currently ride a 62cm beone from last year which feels a bit stretched and I had to buy a shorter stem. I was looking at the 60cm cube but may have to consider the 62 cm. I'm going to discuss it today but now I'm not sure again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ipodrocker

i cant find any other bike out there with a full carbon frame and ultegra groupset for that kind of money (ok maybe planet x or dolan is similar).

the planet x is around 1300 or less with the current exchange rate.

I'm heading up to get sized up properly at CSS on Monday and to have look at the Ridley Orion and similar carbon framed ultegra stuff around the 2k ish mark. Will let you know my impressions. I would definitely prefer to be sized if I'm spending such cash and CSS seem very approachable. Fingers crossed

I'm heading up to get sized up properly at CSS on Monday and to have look at the Ridley Orion and similar carbon framed ultegra stuff around the 2k ish mark. Will let you know my impressions. I would definitely prefer to be sized if I'm spending such cash and CSS seem very approachable. Fingers crossed

CSS didn't to a proper bike fit for me when i bought the Ridley off them. they did spend about ten minutes setting it up for me and it feels great out on the road - but its nothing like say the bike fit i had done out at irishfit in dunlaoighre on my other bike.

ipodrocker wrote: »
    the planet x is around 1300 or less with the current exchange rate.

yeah the planet X was the stuff i was keen to avoid - wanted something slightly different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 573 ✭✭✭dave.obrien

If you're coming out to css, I work there, and race on that specific bike. I've resisted commenting on this, because I don't want to be plugging the shop, or the product, because this is NOT the place to do things like that. But I'd be happy to help you, as long as I'm free!

Advertisement