Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it ok to freeze fruit?

Options
  • 25-06-2010 3:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭

As the title says, is it ok to freeze fruit? Will it defrost ok? I ask because a supermarket in town has all it's fruit on special offer this weekend and the prices are really good. I know you can freeze berries and they defrost ok and work fine in smoothies. What about apples, bananas, oranges and pineapple etc?

If so would it be best to peel and slice them before bagging and freezing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

When frozen the cells expand and can change the texture and fruit can turn to mush when defrosted. Like mushrooms will turn to mush. Commercial places will quickly freeze stuff which can stop this happening. I expect some fruit will fare worse than others.

If it is going in smoothies you should have no trouble with any fruit, chopping it up first will allow it to freeze & defrost quicker. I would add chopped frozen fruit to smoothies without defrosting, since it cools the drink without having to use ice which dilutes it more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Southsider1

Thanks for that Rubadub. I tried Pineapple (chunked) and it froze fine, Grapes Fine, Banana - not great, Apple (sliced) ok, Rasberries, and Blueberries and Cherries all fine.

Advertisement