Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bogeys/Bogies

• 25-06-2010 3:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭

Got a wee nixer shooting a baby this morning and there is a bogie up the kids nose! what is best way to get rid of it? and plz in simple terms as I'm only learning cloning at this stage, I use LR3.
    Normally I wouldn't ask but it's in a delicate spot, so to speak.

/edit
    oh yeah...I always assumed shooting outdoors beats shooting indoors for light, but outdoors today was so damned dark that I've now changed my mind, I mean if you have a decent soft light indoors that appears to maybe give better results, not a 100% sure.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

I have no idea to help with that in pp, but for a second I read this and was like "emmm, a tissue?!!?"

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

it's snot that big a problem is it?

:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

it's snot that big a problem is it?

:P

well only AR nose that for sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

I had no problems cloning out the food of his bib lol, but the nose is like so small, anyway I am using pics where his nose is down so to speak.
    I'd like to bring out the yes some more because I didn't use flash fill, pics are razor sharp even without any sharpening so very happy there, any ideas for the eyes, I mean they're decent but just wondering on any tips?

I had no problems cloning out the food of his bib lol, but the nose is like so small, anyway I am using pics where his nose is down so to speak.
    I'd like to bring out the yes some more because I didn't use flash fill, pics are razor sharp even without any sharpening so very happy there, any ideas for the eyes, I mean they're decent but just wondering on any tips?

Have you got a catchlight in the eyes ? I'd tend toward shots where it was present. I wouldn't be tempted to go nuts lifting the eyes a bit, it can look strangely unnatural even with fairly subtle changes.

Any illustrative examples ? It's kinda hard to advise without actually seeing what we're working with so to speak.

• Advertisement

1 sec...

BF0DD43907A745DE82D3991FF17488B7-800.jpg

AB692EA02F81467AB9063BCA4C09CE04-800.jpg

44F5ADE93CAD486EB52320C444706158-800.jpg

I took about 10 and I can use any of them as none came out OOF, used the 50mm 1.4

Just noticed I forgot to take away the food on bib in 2nd lol

I also dumbed down the colours on the baby walker, maybe some more needed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Gonna need to use PS :P

For that - zoom in if its small. make the brush smaller, and either clone or spot healing tool...

as for the eyes, well, there's a few ways to do things. all depends on what you prefer :D

I'd say the best options would be - levels + brightness/contrast adjustment layers, don't go overboard and you can always adjust the opacity of the layer afterwards.. Add layer masks and mask out everything but the eyes :)

If you're just totally confused after reading all that, with your head sideways going "wha", send us on a copy of the photo and I'll see what I can do :)

I don't do layers lol, can u not copy and save from my pixie?

Here is BW shot where the eyes def look too dark.

95ED229472504389A8097A667E1655AE-800.jpg

In fact the PP looks rubbish in colour #3 shot, the forehead is wierd, I didn't even do that much to them. raised light in curves, raised exposure and some fill light, as original photos were dark, was very overcast in Ballymun this morning...I thought they'd be more light in the place once the tower blocks were knocked down. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

For bogies, I'd hit Cs5's content aware healing brush.

For eyes: In LR I use the adjustment brush, set to exposure, for lifting the eyes. In LR3 it's much easier see what you're doing. Click the 'show adjustment mask' box underneath the image and changes are highlighted in red. You can switch this on/off any time. I normally start with 0.60 exposure - and of course, in LR, you can adjust this to your liking when finished.

Flash was used

2882EE8B4D31463FB7D0757010A54D3A-500.jpg

Exposure 0.0125 sec (1/80)
    F-Number f3.5
    Focal Length 50 mm

The eyes were a little dark so I used the adjustment/exposure brush./

Hi Cagey, I've not used the adjustment brush in my PP career but will look into it now, your baby eyes are a tad over done for me, I want tioo try and keep it as natural as possible. :)

Hi Cagey, I've not used the adjustment brush in my PP career but will look into it now, your baby eyes are a tad over done for me, I want tioo try and keep it as natural as possible. :)

Sure, that was just personal preference though. I could have toned them down a bit when done if I liked :) Experiment with the brush on one image, use any setting on the slider and brush over the white of the eyes, once filled you can change the exposure to suit. Click new under the brush and do the Iris. Some prefer them darker, but either way it's better to have 2 points to work from. You can switch between the adjustment points at any time once the brush is activated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭charybdis

I always assumed shooting outdoors beats shooting indoors for light, but outdoors today was so damned dark that I've now changed my mind, I mean if you have a decent soft light indoors that appears to maybe give better results, not a 100% sure.

I think my favourite light (if one can have such a thing) is probably soft daylight coming through large windows.

When using daylight as a light source, outdoors obviously beats indoors in terms of the amount of light, but depending on the time of day, the clouds, the time of year, etc., light outdoors can be fairly bland or unflattering. If you move indoors or into heavy shade, you can use windows and doors as large sources of soft, directional light. It's also fairly easy to pick up catchlights in the eyes when using a window as a light source.

I wouldn't recommend heavily retouching the eyes of any portrait like this, there's a fairly high chance of falling into the uncanny valley.

charybdis wrote: »

When using daylight as a light source, outdoors obviously beats indoors in terms of the amount of light, but depending on the time of day, the clouds, the time of year, etc., light outdoors can be fairly bland or unflattering. If you move indoors or into heavy shade, you can use windows and doors as large sources of soft, directional light. It's also fairly easy to pick up catchlights in the eyes when using a window as a light source.

Big time. Lovely big rectangular catchlights. Nothing like them. I like to make sure there's lots of white around though aswell, make sure there's a lot of diffuse light to soften the tones on the rest of the face.

4113176376_91a623099f.jpg

I wouldn't recommend heavily retouching the eyes of any portrait like this, there's a fairly high chance of falling into the uncanny valley.

I've done it approximately once, and never again. It wasn't by too much, but every time I saw the picture I winced. There was something just faintly wrong about it. I guess we've evolved to notice even the faintest discrepancies in peoples faces, hence the uncanny valley phenomenon.

I get compliments on how bright the eyes are in shots like this. The one above is a little bright, as it didn't really need it so much. It was an experimental one for me. I very rarely use any flash. I too prefer natural light, 99.99% of my shots use no flash at all. I just popped it up for this one to catch her expression as she sat at the table inside. Too dark where she was not to use it and no time to change settings [had been out in the garden shooting without flash on those settings]

You look at any model portrait online and I'll bet they touched the eyes up. there's 1000s of tutorials online, some good, some total crap. The way I do it, i don't add or take away anything, merely change the exposure.

Advertisement