Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brown Wheelie Bin

Options
  • 25-06-2010 3:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭

Has anyone any tips or suggestions on cleaning the brown wheelie bin, i have not cleaned mine in over a year and with the summer heat it is very pongy, so bad that its 20 feet from the house and i can still smell it, theres about 10 inches of congealed food on the bottom.

I have tried Jeyes Fluid, Parazone and Flash, but none of these cannot mask the smell. I was going to use my power house, but the dog ate the cable and besides that would probably destroy the place.

Does anyone know of any store bought liquid that can help etc

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Welease

Stating the obvious, but would it not make more sense to clean it out rather than just trying to mask the smell?

Tip it on it's side, use a shovel and get rid of the 10" of rotting food and then use Jeyes..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

I use to offer a service of cleaning wheelie bins but seen as you are a nice person i will tell you.

Get a wall paper stripper. Put the head in a wheelie bin, close the lid and let it steam for 30min.

Then wash all the dirt away.

Repeat the next day if necessary.

It works a charm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭johndoe99

Welease wrote: »
    Stating the obvious, but would it not make more sense to clean it out rather than just trying to mask the smell?

Tip it on it's side, use a shovel and get rid of the 10" of rotting food and then use Jeyes..

trye reading my original post again, im trying to "to clean it out", but the smell is too bad.

I use to offer a service of cleaning wheelie bins but seen as you are a nice person i will tell you.

Get a wall paper stripper. Put the head in a wheelie bin, close the lid and let it steam for 30min.

Then wash all the dirt away.

Repeat the next day if necessary.

It works a charm

fantastic idea, i have a paper stripper, will give it a go

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Wrapping the food in old newspapers keeps the bin clean. The papers just brake down after in any case but not before the wheelie bin is emptied so it never gets messy or smelly

• Advertisement

johndoe99 wrote: »
    fantastic idea, i have a paper stripper, will give it a go

How did it go.... Today was the perfect day to do it....

How did it go.... Today was the perfect day to do it....

I did it saturday, i hit it with steam for a good hour to be sure (i left the lid closed with a slight opening for steam to escape), it was amazing afterwards, the steam had somehow neutralised the smell, it was completely odorless, i just then sprayed the inside with a light spray from the garden water hose and all residue just washed away.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭kopkidda

I did it saturday, i hit it with steam for a good hour to be sure (i left the lid closed with a slight opening for steam to escape), it was amazing afterwards, the steam had somehow neutralised the smell, it was completely odorless, i just then sprayed the inside with a light spray from the garden water hose and all residue just washed away.

Nt even a thank you tut tut tut

Cool.... and to make it more perfect you still have a steamer which to me honest is a pain in the asre if it was not for bins

i finally found a worthy use for the paper stripper, i dont use it on wallpaper as it soaks the place, and lifts the plaster.

thanks again

• Advertisement

i finally found a worthy use for the paper stripper, i dont use it on wallpaper as it soaks the place, and lifts the plaster.

thanks again

Only lifts the plaster on a solid concrete wall. I found that. Most houses only have one maybe 2 of these in any room.

But yes if it were not for wheelie bins my would be binned as i dont use wall paper any more and hope to never.

Advertisement