Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Network Storage

• 25-06-2010 4:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, think this is the right place to put this. I'm looking for a bit of storage on my network for everyone in the house and was wondering what would be the best option. I was looking up something like this one http://www.ebuyer.com/product/152055 but I'm not too sure as I haven't done this before. Would anyone have any better recommendations?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 496 ✭✭bette

Hey guys, think this is the right place to put this. I'm looking for a bit of storage on my network for everyone in the house and was wondering what would be the best option. I was looking up something like this one http://www.ebuyer.com/product/152055 but I'm not too sure as I haven't done this before. Would anyone have any better recommendations?

Thanks.
    Im using This little beast.

It's Raid mirrored!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭docdolittle

bette wrote: »
    Im using This little beast.

It's Raid mirrored!

:eek: €250 though! :p I'm looking more around the €120 mark :) I just looked up the 1TB version of the WD one you have going for the same price as the one I mentioned though... I'll have a look at that :D

:eek: €250 though! :p I'm looking more around the €120 mark :) I just looked up the 1TB version of the WD one you have going for the same price as the one I mentioned though... I'll have a look at that :D

It's expensive but well worth the investment. Mirror RAID makes it very reliable. Consider how much it would cost you to replace your music, photos or videos.

Have a look at the video...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭docdolittle

bette wrote: »
    It's expensive but well worth the investment. Mirror RAID makes it very reliable. Consider how much it would cost you to replace your music, photos or videos.

Have a look at the video...
    Yea, I already lost half my music and all my stuff (Including some college project work) when my internal drive decided to die in April... (I hate seagate so much now :p ) Had to replace it with the 320 GB one from my old computer :( Getting some NAS before I upgrade my computer to SSD and a bigger secondary drive :) Is RAID really that much better? I only kind of know what it is... :o

Yea, I already lost half my music and all my stuff (Including some college project work) when my internal drive decided to die in April... (I hate seagate so much now :p ) Had to replace it with the 320 GB one from my old computer :( Getting some NAS before I upgrade my computer to SSD and a bigger secondary drive :) Is RAID really that much better? I only kind of know what it is... :o

Raid is using multiple disks in tandem. Mirror is when you have two disks mirrored with the same information on both. If one fails the other still works. Then you can put a similar disk into the setup and the stuff is transferred to the new disk.

Stripping is when two disks are used in tandem for speed. Two heads better than one sort of idea. Then there's variations of both systems using 4 discs etc...

It's a bit early for ssd. Expensive for what it's worth but that will become the norm in time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement