Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Grazes and cuts from hard/dry pitches?

• 25-06-2010 4:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭

I'm going around like a child with grazes and scabs on both knees due to playing footie on the hard ground at the moment.:(

Someone mentioned putting vaseline on their knees before playing on a dry/hard pitch.

What do any of you guys do to prevent this as it is a nuisance and the same cuts get opened again and again?
    (I know, I'm very soft:o )

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

walk it off yah wuss :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

if it's your teams pitch and you have a tap at the club house get a REALLY long hose and spray the pitch an hour or so before games, you wanna soak the thing pretty good, it will mostly dry out before kickoff and the grass will be softer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,467 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

i tore a good few layers of skin of my leg playing football on one of the gen3 or 5 astro pitches a month or so back. Couldn't touch the area properly for a week and had to have it properly bandaged up - skin still hasn't repaired properly yet either. stupid dry pitches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Serves ya right. It's called football not 'footie' and is should be 'lads' not 'guys'. This is not a rugby forum.:mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

i tore a good few layers of skin of my leg playing football on one of the gen3 or 5 astro pitches a month or so back. Couldn't touch the area properly for a week and had to have it properly bandaged up - skin still hasn't repaired properly yet either. stupid dry pitches.

isn't sliding against the rules in 5-a-side astro?!?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

An astro graze is no laughing matter. Hurts like hell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,467 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Seaneh wrote: »

1. i was playing in goal, it can be required to slide across the ground.
    2. it was a full size pitch.

:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Kent Brockman

Serves ya right. It's called football not 'footie' and is should be 'lads' not 'guys'. This is not a rugby forum.:mad:

The question was directed at actual football players , not armchair critics thanks.

For everyone else:
    This is 11-a-side on grass but the pitches are very dry and hard due to the weather, and the burns are very similar to the astro ones. They are wet for a few days and take ages to heal.

Anyone hear of the vaseline thing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Yep the pitches are rock hard at the minute. My right knee got a serious doing with taking a few layers off it after cutting it a few times.

Your best bet is to get a bandage called vetrap in a chemist/pharmacy. Stick a bandage over the cut and put a bit of that vetrap around it then. Stays on for the whole game and offers a bit of padding.

The question was directed at actual football players , not armchair critics thanks.

For everyone else:
    This is 11-a-side on grass but the pitches are very dry and hard due to the weather, and the burns are very similar to the astro ones. They are wet for a few days and take ages to heal.

Anyone hear of the vaseline thing?

Ooohhh that got me. guys ffs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Ooohhh that got me. guys ffs

Cut it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,950 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I got a lovely graze on my left knee just over a week ago and it's taking ages to go away coz it doesn't get a chance to heal coz of shaving my legs. :o I know, I know...ye didn't need to know that!

That sounds like good stuff joe123. Thanks for sharing...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

I play on astro at least twice a week every week during the season and I can certainly see where your coming from.

The pitch out in ALSAA is the worst, fall on that and you can say goodbye to a layer of skin in that area for several weeks. I can't think of anything that would stop it tbh other than try not to fall/slide :pac:

Generally if it's a bad one that's open for a few days the big priority is to stop it getting infected so either lash some TCP/Savlon on it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

the liquid plaster stuff is supposed to heal the cuts and grazes faster - I've used stuff like veltrap, sticks to itself and no hassle with trying to tape it in place.

Frisbee wrote: »
    Cut it out.
    Fair enough. ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Pure_Cork

Seaneh wrote: »
    If you're not in an organised league anything goes, steel-toe cap boots and all :)

Advertisement