Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tailend corned beef stir fry idea

Options
  • 25-06-2010 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,436 ✭✭✭✭

I got some tailend corned beef and was trying to think of something different to the meat and two veg kind of dinner .

I have in mind corned beef, chopped up into thin slices, stir-fried until about half done, add a chopped onion, a few cloves of crushed garlic,about 2 cm grated ginger and cook until onion starts to soften or until the corned beef is close to being done. Remove the meat and onion from the pan leaving the juices.

Then pour in a few glugs of rice wine, a tablespoon of brown sugar, a tablespoon of soy sauce. Mix well and then when boiling fast add some veggies (broccoli and green beans) and some spring onions sliced length ways, and a little water if not enough liquid to make a sauce and cook on high heat for a few further minutes so the veggies have just started to soften but still have a little crunch. Mix the meat and onions back in and serve immediately.

Served with basmati rice or perhaps noodles, haven't decided on that yet.

Anyone got any creative suggestions for stuff to do with corned beef or improvements or comments for my little recipe (which only exists in my mind so far!)?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Corned beef? As in, proper corned beef, not that minced up and reformed muck?
    Forget cooking, I'd just slice it thin and make one of the world's greatest sandwiches...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Walls

Sparks wrote: »
    Forget cooking, I'd just slice it thin and make one of the world's greatest sandwiches...
    In my head you said that like Professor Farnsworth....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Is called Salt beef this side of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,436 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

No its not the reformed muck, its the marinated stuff. It has quite a strong distinctive flavour which is why i haven't added any spices etc to the recipe above.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Then there can be only one true answer ;)

ea1020_cornbeef.jpg

• Advertisement

Seaneh wrote: »
    Funny that, since "corned" is an old english term...
    Where can you find it though? I don't recall coming across it before (though I might just have missed it).

Here is a picture of what the meat looks like just taken out of the freezer.

118074.jpg

This might be of interest to you Supercell, though about half of it is aimed at producing what you already have ready to cook right there:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,059 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Seaneh wrote: »
    First I've heard of that

Funny that, since "corned" is an old english term...
    Where can you find it though? I don't recall coming across it before (though I might just have missed it).

just make it your self. get a joint of beef, a big tuperware box, put in water and a load of salt and some sugar and whatever spices and herbage you fancy (google a salt beef recipe for quantities) and put it in the fridge for a week.

then boil it like you would bacon.

pain in the arse is that you have to wait a week to eat it but I've never seen it for sale here.

Recipe here.
    http://www.videojug.com/film/how-to-make-salt-beef-2

[edit] yeah, the good eats recipe looks pretty good too, just noticed it now[/edit]

• Advertisement

First I've heard of that

You've probably never eaten ox tongue, lambs sweet breads, pigs ear or jellied eel either, it's not commonly eaten but that's what it's called.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corned_beef#UK
    In the UK, the term corned beef refers to the tinned (canned) variety, which is made from finely minced corned beef in a small amount of gelatin (bully beef; from the French bouilli "boiled"), and is sold in distinctive oblong-shaped cans or in slices from most supermarkets. It is mainly imported from Argentina, Brazil and Uruguay.[1] Bully beef and biscuits were the main field rations of the British Army from the Boer War to World War 2.[2] It is commonly served sliced in a Corned beef sandwich. Hash and hotpot, in which potatoes and corned beef are stewed together, are also made. Tinned corned beef is also used in mainland Europe.[3]
    The US version of corned beef is known in the UK as salt beef. A similar meat product called boiled beef, is also popular in the UK. However, boiled beef, which is made from salted and boiled brisket, is usually served hot.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Maybe it's a Dublin thing, but corned beef and cabbage is something we had as children, my grandparents ate it and my parents who are in their seventies still do. It's always been widely available in Dublin butchers (maybe not so much nowadays, but I bet the butchers up around Thomas Street and Moore Street will have it) and our local supermarket sells it.
    I personally don't like it though, and can't imagine how it would work in a stirfry since it's quite salty. It would be a bit like stirfrying bacon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Corned beef, salt beef = same thing. Corn refers to the large grains of rock salt traditionally used to brine the meat. I picked up 1.6kg piece during the week. Simmered it for two hours - its amazing how it shrinks in the cooking. Had salt beef sandwiches on rye bread for yesterdays lunch. On the hob at the moment is a corned beef hash - I used grated raw potato as we didn't have any cold cooked.:( I have to be patient and wait for it to cook through. Fried egg on top.

B****X!! Just cooked and in trying to turn it by flipping it onto a plate and sliding it back into the pan, I dropped it. Museli for breakfast.

Maybe it's a Dublin thing, but corned beef and cabbage is something we had as children, my grandparents ate it and my parents who are in their seventies still do. It's always been widely available in Dublin butchers (maybe not so much nowadays, but I bet the butchers up around Thomas Street and Moore Street will have it) and our local supermarket sells it.
    I personally don't like it though, and can't imagine how it would work in a stirfry since it's quite salty. It would be a bit like stirfrying bacon

Actually it was delish, I decided in the end to leave out the soy sauce in the end because of the saltiness. The rice wine, ginger and garlic gave it a lovely flavour.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Supercell wrote: »
    Actually it was delish, I decided in the end to leave out the soy sauce in the end because of the saltiness. The rice wine, ginger and garlic gave it a lovely flavour.

That's great - looks like you've invented a tastier way to eat corned beef :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,050 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Have been having corned beef and cabbage (not the tinned stuff) for as long as I can remember and we, or anyone I know, has never called it salt beef.
    I've bought it in Tesco recently and I'm pretty sure SuperValu do it too.
    Lots of it in The English Market in Cork!!

Maybe it's a Dublin thing
    According to the anthropologists, it's actually a new york thing. Odds are, bacon and cabbage went over with one wave of emigrants, was changed to corn beef and cabbage over there, and eventually re-immigrants returned with corn beef and cabbage to some places.

I know I never heard of it until a few months ago, it was always bacon and cabbage at home. On the one or two occasions any of us could stomach it, that is... blech.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Ah it depends on how the bacon and cabbage is cooked.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭thebullkf

Thaedydal wrote: »

cabbage cooked in the water used to boil the meat;)

have corned beef quite regularly.

its the cheap version of roast beef dinner.

its lovely.(though i'm a *cough* big boned fella:P)

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Entirely possible. But then, there's a reason I learnt to cook for myself :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,059 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I heard over the weekend that Cromwell introduced the cabbage to ireland....everytime you eat bacon and cabbage you p*ss on the graves of your ancestors!!!

(lol)

Advertisement