Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repairing holes in plasterboard walls

Options
  • 25-06-2010 4:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭

This must be a common problem but I have been unable to find an adequate solution.

We live in a modern house with hollow plasterboard walls throughout the interior. Some of these walls are pockmarked with holes created when a previous owner fixed shelves or presses to the walls. The holes are not huge - maybe 7-8 mm in diameter - but they are unsightly and there are perhaps a dozen of them in different rooms throughout the house.

Because the walls are hollow it is not possible to fill the holes with Pollyfilla and create a nice smooth surface again. The Polyfilla simply disappears into the cavity and even if I do manage to fill the hole, a 'dimpled' effect is created.

We are about to remodel our kitchen, which means taking down wall-mounted presses. I dread to think of the state of walls when we do this. More holes!

Is there a simple way of repairing holes in plasterboard walls that does not require major surgery?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭Rocky_Dennis

Hi,

What u need: mini mesh scrim tape, bag of sheetrock easysand 90. Sanding pad, You will get these in any good builders providers.

Mix some easy sand 90 in a bucket, u will no yourself when u have the right texture, its easy to mix by hand too, place some scrim tape over ur hole, put some of the easy sand 90 to cover the scrim and hole, leave it dry out and then sand it with ur sanding pad. Works a treat, im a plasterer and this is what i always use to fill holes

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Sanguine Fan

Thanks Andrew. Sounds straightforward enough. I should be able to get that stuff locally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭Rocky_Dennis

Try get the sheetrock anyway, you can get it in 20 or 45 or 90, the number is the amount of time it takes to dry, 90mins etc, make sure its the bag and not the ready mixed bucket, they are totally different types of filler and the stuff in the bucket wont do as good a job. They might recommend lafarge filler or another filler if they dont have the sheetrock but they wont do as good a job. I have tried them all and sheetrock is by far the best imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Piriz

hi OP,
    here is a simpler solution...
    buy plasterboard fixings http://www.diydoctor.org.uk/project_images/fixingtoplasterboard/1923_l.jpg
    screw the large part into the existing hole...make sure you screw it so it's below the surface of the wall...essentially this will plug the hole and you can now use pollyfiller over the fixing, simple!
    if you get a dimple...leave it to dry and fill over it again!

Advertisement