Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BTEA & moving from 2nd level to 3rd level

Options
  • 25-06-2010 5:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭

Hi all,

I've just finished a second level course and was in receipt of the BTEA for the year.

I have been accepted for a third level course starting this September.

My question is this; if I get a job for the summer, am I entitled to receive BTEA in September or am I subject to the 12 month "on the dole" rule?

Many thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 carja

Hi, yes i too am in the same situation but i understand that its safer too keep signing on and if you are moving from 2nd level to 3rd you will have to re apply for BTEA when you are accepted on third level course :D Hope this helps as it is very difficult to get any one that knows much about it especially in the social welfare office

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭Blueprint

EA participants who are progressing to the next year of their course or who are progressing in second level or third level undergraduate qualifications will have their BTEA reinstated from the commencement of the new academic year irrespective of whether they were in receipt of an unemployment payment for the summer period. All participants must supply written confirmation from school/college/institute that they have registered as a full-time day student for the new academic year.

http://www.welfare.ie/EN/OperationalGuidelines/Pages/bte_all.aspx#3.3

I did a Foundation year this year and am now working for the summer, I was told I'd have to reapply for the BTEA, but not that I wouldn't get it cause I was working now.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Postit

Blueprint wrote: »
    EA participants who are progressing to the next year of their course or who are progressing in second level or third level undergraduate qualifications will have their BTEA reinstated from the commencement of the new academic year irrespective of whether they were in receipt of an unemployment payment for the summer period. All participants must supply written confirmation from school/college/institute that they have registered as a full-time day student for the new academic year.

http://www.welfare.ie/EN/OperationalGuidelines/Pages/bte_all.aspx#3.3

I did a Foundation year this year and am now working for the summer, I was told I'd have to reapply for the BTEA, but not that I wouldn't get it cause I was working now.

I too was told that I would have to reapply because my course was only one year long, so I spoke to Citizens Advice and they told me that you need to keep your Jobseekers claim open for the summer or else you won't get the BTEA in Sept (this doesn't apply to anyone on a three/four degree already on BTEA).

Advertisement