Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Books

Options
  • 25-06-2010 6:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭

While I'm not personally a fan of self-help books, there's no denying that one of the first port of calls for people when dealing with grief is to seek out literature on the subject. So perhaps it would be worth having a thread to deal with the topic of books on the subject.

I've read a few on the subject, but two which I found more useful and illuminating where the following.

A Grief Observed by C.S. Lewis
    While a Christian apologist wouldn't normally be my cup of tea, I'd have to certainly recommend this book wholeheartedly. The narrative forms a diary of his journey through grief following the death of his wife. Its an articulate recount of an individual coming to terms with the death of love one.
    I've heard some people suggest its not really for the recently bereaved, but something to come to further down the road. I personally didn't find that case.

When the Bough Breaks: Forever after the Death of a Son or Daughter
    This book deals specifically with the death of a child and the impact it has upon parents, grandparents and siblings. Its not guide to grief but rather seeks to explain it and mechanisms people employ to deal with it.

Advertisement