Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kmc Missing Link

• 25-06-2010 6:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭

Has anyone here managed to join the Kmc Missing Link together ?

I've searched to web and it says to press the links together and pull the chain apart but no matter how hard i press and pull it won't "click" into place.

Anyone any tips ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭mfdc

Slot the two bits together so you have to pull, then spin the cranks so that the kmc bit is at the top between the crank and the cassette. Pull the rear brake to keep the bike still, then stand on one pedal. Should pop it into place.

edit: that's not really clear, so here is a crude drawing showing what I mean. Cassette at the left, crank at the right, chain in blue & missing link in red. When you slot the two parts of the missing link together it should hold the chain in place, so set it up like this then hold down the rear brake and stand on the pedal.

118076.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭Zorba

Thanks mfdc that's exactly what i've been doing, pushing down on the pedal so much that the frame is flexing but still no pop, the links still just slide apart :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭short circuit

I have never had the KMC one POP for me, like the SRAM ones.

The KMCs just slide together and then the pins go over the light bend and onto the other side. I am assuming that I'm doing the right thing and I haven't had it come out in about 1000kms of riding so far.

The not popping also makes them easier to take off, I can actually manage it with my hands only where as with the SRAM powerlock, its a fight with pliers, cloth, sweat and blood involved.

Having said that the KMC will not go on both sides like the SRAM powerlock. Its unidirectional and will skip if you get it the wrong way. I know this too by experience.

Now if any of you see me walking the bike around Wicklow with a chain around my neck ... don't say I told you so ... just hand me your spare powerlock and chain tool:)

Having said that the KMC will not go on both sides like the SRAM powerlock. Its unidirectional and will skip if you get it the wrong way. I know this too by experience.

U mean i might have the links on the wrong way around ? Would that explain why i can't get the little feckers to lock together ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 168 ✭✭Al Wright

First check that you have the correct link, KMC make different width links for Shimano & Campag 10 speed chains.

I use a simple bracket made from coat hanger wire to hold the chain together when fitting or removing a link as illustrated in the sketch. you can gently squeeze the link closed using a pliers as shown. you can also use a pliers to open the link, using the pliers horizontally and at an angle.
    (I hope the sketch on Word uploads)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

here be the tool you needs

Thanks for all the replies.

Turns out the missing link was the problem, it just slides together, doesn't lock in just slides in and out. Had to go to my LBS and get a BBB link which works perfect, gonna send the link i got with the chain back and see if i can get a new one, it's obviously faulty and there was me thinking i was doing something wrong !!

Advertisement