Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

advice on cocker spaniels pls

Options
  • 25-06-2010 6:25pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 37

hi, im currently looking into getting a dog. i had dogs as a child and now i have my own home im finally in a position to get one!!

my back garden isnt very big but i walk everyday, and there is always someone at home, dog will never be left for more than a couple of hours alone. i have my heart set on a golden cocker spaniel.

my question is, how do i know who to buy from? dont want to buy from a dodgy dealer, also does it matter whether the dog is IKC registered or not? i dont plan on showing the dog, he will be a family pet.
    also is a cocker spaniel a good 'house' dog, he will get plenty of excercise, but would they be happy in the house?

any advice would be very welcome, i want to be able to give the right dog the right home, thks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭paultf

I have got 3 blue roan cockers - 7, 2 and 4 months. Cockers are great dogs IMO. I live in town with a small back garden. I walk them for 5kms most days. There are quite happy to spend time in the house for the rest of the day. I home most of the day - they love company - but generally are OK on their own for short periods.

If you going to get a pup from a breeder, your best bet is to get one that is registered with IKC (not Canine Ireland). Research it properly.

There are a few cocker spaniel societies on the IKC website (www.ikc.ie). Contact them:-

Black Red or Golden Cocker Club of Ireland
    Mrs. M. Searson
    Garretts Mill, Killea, Templemore, Co. Tipperary.
    (0505-43164)

Cocker Spaniel Club of Ireland
    Mr. B. McEntee
    Crookshane, Rathcoole, Co. Dublin.
    (01-4580189) Website: www.cscoi.ie

Dublin Cocker Society
    Ms. C. Fallon
    3 Woodlawn Rise, Santry, Dublin 9
    (086-3690664)

I got 2 of my cockers from the kennel www.baysway.ie - Bill McEntee - president of Cocker Spaniel Club of Ireland aswell. I would recommend him highly. Check out www.csoi.ie

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 37 oldwan

thanks very much, will check all that out, much appreciated:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

I don't have much experience with cocker spaniels so cannot advise you on them.
    Your best bet for finding a reputable breeder is to contact the IKC or the breed club, and go along to a few dog shows and get talking to a few people there, they may know of someone who is planning on having a litter soon. Make sure the breeder does health tests, I don't know what tests are reccommended for cocker spaniels someone here might be able to tell you, but the parents should definetely at least have been hip and elbow scored. Both the parents and the pups should be registered with the IKC (not canine ireland), even if you do not plan on showing the pup. If they were not registered it would ring alarm bells for me as to why they are not registered (bitch or sire to old when bred, or bitch bred too many times).
    When you go to view the pup, the breeder should be interrogating you. A good breeder will care who the pup goes home with so will want to find the best possible home, which will mean they will ask you a lot of questions about your house and lifestyle. If you feel they are pushing you to buy the pup or it seems they are only interested in how much money you will give them then walk away. The bitch should be there for you to see (the sire may not) and should be healthy looking and of good temperment. The pups should be clean, alert and healthy looking. Do not buy a puppy because you feel sorry for it, if the puppy looks sick walk away, otherwise you are putting money into a bad breeders pocket and funding more pups bred into bad conditions. If the breeder has a few litters of puppies of different breeds walk away because it is a puppy farmer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

Snip

Advertisement