Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Being 17

Options
  • 25-06-2010 6:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

Ok so I'm 17 (not 18 til September :() and I've just finished my leaving cert, pretty much ALL my friends are 18 and going out on the town to celebrate, and I tried but was refused entry last night :( So this is for all you underagers to vent your anger at being underage!

Thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭Sophsxxx

My sentiments exactly!! I'm literally the only 17 year old left out of all my friends but I s'pose I have been pretty lucky in the past as I've only been refused entry once or twice into the nightclub and I always had someone that came bushing or whatever instead!
    But on the bright side....last ever summer that you have to worry about it!!:D
    11 weeks til im sorted...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

At least you'll be 18 for most of first year of college, one of my friend's didn't turn 18 until pretty much the end of first year. She said it was horrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

Not trying to rub it in, but I never had trouble getting in anywhere, but that was mostly because my brother let me borrow...something... :P

The only hassle I got was from my Mam who didn't like me going out when I was 17. I did anyway :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

kateos2 wrote: »
    At least you'll be 18 for most of first year of college, one of my friend's didn't turn 18 until pretty much the end of first year. She said it was horrible.

I'd say it is. Being 18 for the end of LC is very handy aswell with all the end of year year night outs.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

<old person>
    You shouldn't be angry that you're 17, you should enjoy every single second of it. You'll never get to do any of this again. You're old enough now to be given some responsibility, but you can still be a kid and eventually that's gonna go away, so take advantage of what you have. Getting older ain't all that great.
    </old person>

I just turned 17 right before I did my LC so I was 17 for the whole first year of college. It's not so bad, I promise! If I could be 17 again, I would in a heartbeat! Just enjoy it for me! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

Not that I'd ever condone it but it's usually pretty easy for 17 year olds to get in places though it obviously varies from place to place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

I repeated the Leaving Cert, and I'm still only 17. It's annoying, I have to admit, but it's temporary. In a few months, you'll be 18 and you will wonder why you worried so much about it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭annainez

Not that I'd ever condone it but it's usually pretty easy for 17 year olds to get in places though it obviously varies from place to place.

Not so much around here, they only accept passports or Garda Age Cards and they check EVERYONE for ID, (except for this one girl grr!) even those who are clearly 20plus. My friend who's 18 had a photocopy of her passport stamped by the gardaí and she still didn't get in. But I'm ok at least I can go to the pub! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

annainez wrote: »
    Not so much around here, they only accept passports or Garda Age Cards and they check EVERYONE for ID, (except for this one girl grr!) even those who are clearly 20plus. My friend who's 18 had a photocopy of her passport stamped by the gardaí and she still didn't get in. But I'm ok at least I can go to the pub! :)

I wasn't suggesting you to try get in without ID. Every bouncer will ID you, but not every bouncer will make sure it actually is you.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Nightclubs are rubbish. Why the hell are people in such a hurry to waste their time and money in dark, noisey, smelly rooms full of drunk people?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

To get the shift?...

Nightclubs are rubbish. Why the hell are people in such a hurry to waste their time and money in dark, noisey, smelly rooms full of drunk people?

To dance!!! That is why I go out, I wouldn't even be too pushed to drink but I just LOVE dancing :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Well at least you're not 18 and none of your friends are :(

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Banjo Fella

annainez wrote: »
    To dance!!! That is why I go out, I wouldn't even be too pushed to drink but I just LOVE dancing :D

True, but there's nothing wrong with turning up the volume and dancing in your room! ...at least that's what I keep telling myself. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

yeah,it kind of blows alright.I was seventeen until the second semester midterms in college.

But honestly,you're not missing much,unless you're into crappy music you can't dance to [I've tried,most clubs don't play anything danceable] and getting drunk in a room full of BO

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Jay P wrote: »
    To get the shift?...
    Among other things.................

Ah being 17

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭cheesefiend

I get what you mean, not only is it quite embarrassing getting turned away but all your friends talk about what a great night it was for ages afterwards, not trying to be mean but it just stings a little.

It is true though you have plenty of time for all the drunken shenanigans in the club, but I get that you don't want to be missing out on anything. It's just a little while longer and then you'll see that it's really not as big a deal as people make out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Im just finished 1st year and I wasn't 18 until April!!
    I already feel old. I don't get asked for ID anymore which is cool but there's stuff you just cant get away with when you're not a kid anymore! Enjoy it!!!!! People are growing up too fast these days....seriously!! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭norwegianwood

I'm pretty much the oldest out of my friends, the rest of them are 16 or thereabouts, so we're still at the whole drinking in a field stage. Gotta say, I dont think drinking in a pub or whatever legally wouldn't be half as fun, you wouldn't get as much of a rush from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 930 ✭✭✭*giggles*

It's about 50/50 with my friends - half of us are 18 (some nearly 19), the other half are still 17 (including me:(). Kinda difficult to have fun without all your mates when some are off drinking etc and you're left alone with your fellow under 18 mates. Hurry up January is what I say

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭lou91

I'm pretty much the oldest out of my friends, the rest of them are 16 or thereabouts, so we're still at the whole drinking in a field stage. Gotta say, I dont think drinking in a pub or whatever legally wouldn't be half as fun, you wouldn't get as much of a rush from it.

True dat. Getting served when you're under 18 was the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

I'm 17, and I've only ever had trouble getting in (with no ID) once, but luckily I got a loan of an ID that time. Got in last night no bother, there was a 21st on and I pretended to be invited. :D

Hopefully that won't change when I go to college, as I'm not 18 till January.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭SarcasticFairy

I was 17 until the start of the second semester in first year. It was kinda shít at times, but stopped bothering me after the first couple of weeks. Meh. Not being 18 for end of LC celebrations must have been kinda shít if you didn't get in, but at least you don't have to worry about it when it comes to college! :)
    yeah,it kind of blows alright.I was seventeen until the second semester midterms in college.

But honestly,you're not missing much,unbless you're into crappy music you can't dance to [I've tried,most clubs don't play anything danceable] and getting drunk in a room full of BO

You need to find some better clubs, tbh! Though, most club nights will at least play some chart music, and not being able to dance to chart stuff is not not being able to dance cos the music's shít...

Then again, my version of dancing is mostly just manic flailing, occasionally shouting some lyrics or something.. There isn't necessarily any rhythm involved >_>

:D

Thanks everyone, I genuinely feel a lot better now!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Interzone

When you turn 18 and you can go to the club/pub/etc the novelty of it wears off within a week. I think that lots less young people would be keen too get hammered if there was a more lax attitude in society and in law towards alcohol. A sure way to popularise something is to oppress it.

Kind of off topic but can anyone tell me... you know that pledge you take on your Confirmation that you won't drink 'til you're 18? Is that an Irish thing or a Catholic thing in general?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Interzone wrote: »
    Kind of off topic but can anyone tell me... you know that pledge you take on your Confirmation that you won't drink 'til you're 18? Is that an Irish thing or a Catholic thing in general?
    I *think* it's mainly an Irish thing ... with its roots in the temperance movement, Fr. Mathew Theobald and the Pioneer Total Abstinence Association.

Advertisement