Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No wireless signal at opposite side of house. Booster needed?

Options
  • 25-06-2010 8:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭

HI all,

I had a look through some threads and couldn't find what I was looking for, so apologies if I am posting on something that has been flogged to death, and I didn't see it.

Basically, I have eircom wireless at home, and it is plugged in/set up at one end of the house. It's a big enough house, so the signal is weak to intermittent upstairs at the far end of the house. Is there a device I can get that would boost the signal so I could get a good wireless signal anywhere in the house.

I'm sure there is, but I wouldn't know what to get or how much to pay, or where to start....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,214 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

There are many possible solutions to this, including:
    1. get a phone extension cable and resite the router in the middle of the house

2. get a 2nd wifi AP, connect to eircom box with CAT5 or via 'homeplug' devices

I'd go with 1 myself

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭vedwards

Is it possible to use a second wireless router and instead of it set up as an network access point alter its configuration to received the signal from the main wireless router (LAN/WAN turnaround)? I'd suspect that because most modern routers have 2 to 4 aerials they should be good at picking up weak signals.
    Not even a novice in this area; just thinking out loud :rolleyes:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

the phone cable could look messy, as I'd have to cross through the kitchen and down the hall..

is it possible to buy a generic router for this, or would I have to get another one off eircom....?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,214 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

I think it may also be possible to have a 2nd wifi router pick up the signal from the first and transmit it again (on a different wifi channel). I beleive the 2nd router would have to be in 'bridge mode'. I haven't done this myself. Maybe a Linksys WRT54G, possibly with alternate firmware, like DD-WRT or Tomato or others, can do this ?

Advertisement