Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Preparing for the PCT/General Fitness training for Gardai

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

eroo wrote: »
    Nearly sure I posted about blisters yesterday?? :(

Yes you did, but it counts as medical advice, and as such, cannot be published by boards. Even though I know it was well-intentioned and quite trivial, we have a blanket ban on any form of medical advice because it can leave us exposed legally.

Hope you understand?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

No problem, but I do wish you had told me before I posted the 2nd time!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

No problem, but I do wish you had told me before I posted the 2nd time!
    I'm uber busy these days so apologies if it caused confusion.

Well seeing as it is a week since bin Laden was taken out... I figure a little fun is at hand! :D

This is known as the Navy SEAL challenge! If not to improve fitness, try it for fun!!

500 yard swim(breast or side stroke):
    Min 12:30
    Max push ups in 2 mins:
    Min 42
    Max sit ups in 2 mins:
    Min 50
    Pull ups w/ no time limit:
    Min 6
    1.5 mile run:
    Min 11:00

I don't have access to a swimming pool today so I'm just going to try the rest! The above is the basic tests they must pass before the real training starts.

So a week on, lets see if we have any potential SEALs here! :P Post up your results and then I'll post up the requirements they expect! Remember this is just for fun, I can tell you now I wont be passing!!

Push Ups - 43
    Sit Ups - 19 (these sucked as have not done them in ages!)
    Pull Ups - 6
    1.5 mile run - 11:42

I failed! :(:P

I hope some of ye try this for the craic!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27 bayleaf

Push ups 78
    Sit ups 80
    Chin ups 8 and a half ;)
    Didnt run as my quad is still injured

bayleaf wrote: »
    Push ups 78
    Sit ups 80
    Chin ups 8 and a half ;)
    Didnt run as my quad is still injured

Well done thats good stuff bayleaf! But the Navy doesn't count half pull ups!:p:D

Anyone else going to have a go?:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 934 ✭✭✭C-J

My fella and I have decided we're going to take this challenge on at the weekend in the gym, bear in mind we're both ultra competitive so it might lead to one of us sleeping in the spare room!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭thelongwait

Is there a time limit for the total challenge, like does it all have to be done together, one straight after the other or can you take a break between each one???

Is there a time limit for the total challenge, like does it all have to be done together, one straight after the other or can you take a break between each one???
    10 mins rest after swim. Then push ups, followed by 2 mins break before sit ups. 2 mins break after sit ups, then pull ups. Finally, 10 mins break before run/
    C-J wrote: »
    My fella and I have decided we're going to take this challenge on at the weekend in the gym, bear in mind we're both ultra competitive so it might lead to one of us sleeping in the spare room!!

Excellent, this is the fun in fitness!:D

• Advertisement

no offense cj but my money is on your fella whipping you in this challenge, these exercises are extremely hard for woman. wide grip chip ups and military push ups are no joke, military pushups are the ones where you tuck your elbows in by your side and focus more on your triceps..... anybody wanna give me odds on this

no offense cj but my money is on your fella whipping you in this challenge, these exercises are extremely hard for woman. wide grip chip ups and military push ups are no joke, military pushups are the ones where you tuck your elbows in by your side and focus more on your triceps..... anybody wanna give me odds on this

haha well i ain't no gi jane, and certainly not a barbie either i'd consider myself to have strong level of fitness. Though these exercises will be tweaked to suit myself :p my boyfriend plays county ball so i don't stand a chance against him, but he lets me win sometimes to soothe my inflated sense of self worth!

From what videos I've seen they can do regular push ups and standard grip pull ups. It's the number of push ups/pull ups that count provided they are full reps. For pull ups there is no kicking or swinging aloud.

I wouldn't count C-J out at all!:)

Ok so half attempted the challenge this morning, didn't get near the pool, only did 2 chin ups (i'm pathetic at them and there was a guy impatiently waiting to use the machine while i flailed around) but i'm happy with the rest. Ran 2k in 10.33 (granted i nearly fell off the treadmill the speed i was going), did 74 situps in 2mins and did 62pressups in 2mins!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭King Ludvig

Push Ups - 41
    Sit Ups - 48
    Pull Ups - 10
    1.5 mile run - 12min 13sec

I failed it too! As for my excuses :p fitness has been demoted in my list of priorities the last couple of months due to college finals. However, Im going to run the Dublin city marathon again this year so by the end of the summer I might give this another go just to compare!

Well done C-J and Ludvig! :)

I'll post up the scores SEALs are expected to get later on. I'll wait and see if anyone else has a go!

Keep it up folks, this is great.

Here are the scores potential Navy SEALs are expected to get to make the grade for BUD/S (Selection). It's considered the only easy part.

500 yard swim - 9:30

Push Ups in 2:00 - 100

Sit Ups in 2:00 - 100

Pull Ups max - 25

1.5 mile run - 9:30

:eek::D

You'd need long legs to run that fast, don't think i'll ever manage it with my stubs!

Nothing is impossible.. except for being invisible! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭King Ludvig

Wow! One hundred push ups and sit ups in 2 minutes each :eek:

Plenty of training to be done over the summer so! :P

• Advertisement

Lifting pints of cider will be about as close to navy seal training as i'll get this summer. I'll call it Polly's training, though I'd say if we're as good at suppin as we are at waiting and procrastinating then the place wont be long going dry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 USERNAME24

Hi Eroo
    another question for you,you should be getting paid for this.If you are weight training will alcohol consumption at the w-end undo all the work done during the week as its fitness your working on?
    Thanks

USERNAME24 wrote: »
    Hi Eroo
    another question for you,you should be getting paid for this.If you are weight training will alcohol consumption at the w-end undo all the work done during the week as its fitness your working on?
    Thanks

USERNAME24 you have raised a topic I was going to address quite soon.:)

I take a drink every now and then, and I do enjoy the odd knees up! However I can safely say I believe alcohol is the worst thing that has ever happened to the human race. Not only do we all have horror stories or regrets due to drink, it is also to blame for exbanding wastelines and deteriorating health, among more serious issues. I don't expect anybody to give it up entirely(I wouldn't myself), but if there is anything I can get across to you in this post, it is the word moderation.

I'll answer USERNAME24's question in the next section too btw!

Anyone who wants a fit body, and subsequently a fit mind, has to make sacrifices. Whether you have had to bulk up, slim down or tone up you will appreciate the dedication required to achieve your goals. When people think of their diet they mainly think about what they should and should not eat. So you train 4-6 days a week and eat healthy foods.. but you still cannot reach your goal(s)? More often than not alcohol is a major cause. If you train hard all week then go out on saturday night and have 7-8 pints, 3-4 vodka and cokes and then get a big dirty kebab afterwards.. you have actually wasted your weeks effort.

If I had a euro for everytime somebody who worked their butt off(literally!) during the week, then thought going on the lash was their reward for training and eating right I would be a very rich man! From drinking and eating on a saturday night, you will easily add a few thousand extra calories to your daily intake. Not to mention all the simple sugars from shots etc that will go straight to your stomach and potential love handles. You wouldn't eat a couple of pizzas in one night after training all week.. so why dose yourself with alcohol??

The secret folks is moderation. It requires extraordinary will power and determination. But it can give you the closest thing to the best of both worlds. If you do not want to kick the drink entirely, then limit it. To achieve and maintain your goals you will need to cut down on your alcohol intake. Here is my advice so as to improve your diet:

1. Try not drinking on a night out. Be the designated driver or something! You will feel much better in the morning, and you will be proud of yourself too.

2. Why not actually limit the nights out? Rather than every week, try every few weeks. It may or may not suit you but you will reap the rewards.

3. Extablish a 'drinks maximum'. I find this very effective. Limit yourself to 4-5 drinks for the whole night. You wont end up embarrassingly drunk and you wont be dying the next day.

4. Stay hydrated!!!! Alcohol dehydrates the body, so in between drinks have a glass/pint of water and drink a pint of water before you go to bed.

5. Avoid the take away. Get your ass in the taxi and go home! Forget the kebab or burgers, go home and have a slice of toast. Boring it may be, but your digestive system wont feel like it has died the next morning.

Alcohol consumption in excess will hinder your training, and ultimately, your goals. When you get to Templemore, remember why you are there. It could be very easy to spend your down time in Polly's but that wont help you at all. Exercise and good nutrition lead to a healthy body; a healthy mind dwells in a healthy body. This will help you focus on your studying folks, and will be a damn site better than turning up for parade hungover!

Enjoy the few drinks at the weekend, you've earned it. But don't go nuts, as alcohol can actively affect your training 48 hours after you stopped. Something you find difficult the week before will become impossible; something you found easy-difficult. This also means your body can become more susceptible to injury as you are not allowing your body adapt to the stress you are putting on it in training.

Finally, a few drinks can be a great way to unwind and relax so theres nothing wrong with going out and enjoying yourself in moderation. But who would you rather be: the person who can wear the slim fit shirt/dress, looking and feeling great? Or the person who buys clothes to hide the gut?

You decide.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 USERNAME24

Thanks for the reply Eroo,very informative!Booze in moderation so..
    I agree about the booze been evil,one place nobody wants to have regrets is the next morning after night in Pollys, could be one way ticket out of the College!Thanks again

Haha i hope i'm not making myself out to be an alco i drink so rarely cos of my daughter, nights out are rare! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Kaffy

Here are the scores potential Navy SEALs are expected to get to make the grade for BUD/S (Selection). It's considered the only easy part.

500 yard swim - 9:30

Push Ups in 2:00 - 100

Sit Ups in 2:00 - 100

Pull Ups max - 25

1.5 mile run - 9:30

:eek::D

Oh crap - i think id fall over and die!
    must get back on track
    Tag is starting on thurs :)

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Galway Elvis

I went out shooting rabbits the other evening. It was wet. I walked at least 1 km around several fields, at a leisurely pace. I climbed over numerous gates, slowly.

That night I consumed a gallon of BUD...... I may have to re-evaluate my training schedule and work ethic before I head for Templemore.

The SEALs and local bunnies are safe for now!!!

is 200 push ups in 2 minutes humanly possible,
    i mean averaging 1 push up a second is testing enough,

anybody ever use supplements while training, if so what do ye use and why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Geri Boyle

is 200 push ups in 2 minutes humanly possible,
    i mean averaging 1 push up a second is testing enough,
    anybody ever use supplements while training, if so what do ye use and why?
    Please do not name products on this forum. Such posts will be considered advertising and will subsequently be deleted

• Advertisement

ok ya dont name the brands but have ye ever found a supplement beneficial

Advertisement