Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where best to get a puppy in Galway? Or where to avoid?

Options
  • 25-06-2010 9:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hi, finally moving into a house where we can have pets so looking to get a retriever / labrador / siberian husky puppy in the next month or so. I've been looking online but am quite worried that buying from donedeal or buyandsell or similar means buying from puppy farms?

We're not looking for purebreds specifically as we don't want to breed them or show or anything, we just like these particular breeds and have done research into them and are confident we can care for them. (There is a large fully enclosed garden, one of us will be at home with them all day and no kids in the house.)

Had a quick look at the GSPCA site and it's not fully up to date, also can't find any for the shelter/pound in Ballybane. Does anyone know of any puppies of these breeds available now or shortly, or where the best place to look would be? Or even just where to avoid.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

If you're looking for a mid-sized friendly mutt, then try the local pound.

You'll pick up a dog which will have been vetted, and neutered/speyed. The only caveat I'd have would be that some of these dogs may have been mistreated and may be a bit nervous to start with...but generally some kindness and a bone or two puts that right very quickly.

There are also a couple of charities which rehouse dogs.....google dogsaid.ie or dogstrust.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

MADRA, EGAR and the GSPCA are ones that come to mind - EGAR are here in this board, perhaps give them a buzz to see if they can help you. Here's a list of charities around the country http://www.irishanimals.ie/general/index.html

Your best bet is to ring up rescues around you, ask them what they have at the moment and explain what you are looking for. Labs/lab mixes are not uncommon in rescues. Consider taking on adult dogs too, not just pups - most rescues vet their dogs with kids, other dogs etc. so you will know what you are getting before you bring it home. Lots of adult dogs are trained/semi trained and it takes a lot of the work out for you. Have a look on Irish Animals to see if there are any dogs you are interested in www.irishanimals.ie.

Please try to get a dog from resuce as opposed to buying, there are so many amazing dogs looking for homes at the moment you will definately find one the suits you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

exaisle wrote: »
    If you're looking for a mid-sized friendly mutt, then try the local pound.

You'll pick up a dog which will have been vetted, and neutered/speyed. The only caveat I'd have would be that some of these dogs may have been mistreated and may be a bit nervous to start with...but generally some kindness and a bone or two puts that right very quickly.

There are also a couple of charities which rehouse dogs.....google dogsaid.ie or dogstrust.ie

I didn't realise that Galway pound did that, do they? There are certainly rescue groups that take dogs out of pounds around the country to rehome them, but as far as I'm aware, pounds themselves do not neuter and vaccinate before rehoming.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭doubleglaze

I don't know you at all, but I get the impression you are a young couple. Apologies in advance if I'm wrong but, in case you are a young couple, I wish to raise the following with you, especially given the amount of young couples who acquire dogs as surrogate babies only to ditch their dogs into the pound once baby arrives :

Have you thought about the practicalities of having a dog should children arrive on the scene (i.e. baby crawling on floor while, at the same time, dog is proving difficult to 100% toilet train)? The cost of keeping a dog on top of increased mortgage interest rates, lowered income.....? How to give the dog a good daily walk of one hour somewhere suitable while simultaneously minding one or two small children AND holding down one or two jobs?

With some exceptions, I don't recommend young couples to get a dog. The proper care of dogs requires a lot of time, money and - if there are small children in the house - downstairs space.

Sorry if I'm completely jumping the gun, but the problem of young couples abandoning their dogs once baby arrives is so prevalent that I felt this might be a good time to create some public awareness of the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭phelixoflaherty

Have heard nothing but good thing about this crowd http://www.madra.ie/ and judging by the info on the site they know their stuff.
    A bit out of the way though in connemara and by appointment only

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭LucyBliss

You could ring the GSPCA and ask them about any potential pups because, even though they might not have them in their centre, someone may be fostering some pups for them or have some to give away. When we got our Rosie from the centre in Killimor, she was already pregnant but she'd only been there a few days so nobody knew until we took her to the vet for a second check-up and got the news. When she had her six pups, we rang the GSPCA so that they would give our number for anybody inquiring about getting a dog. So you might get lucky in that regard.

A friend got two beautiful dogs from www.madra.ie and they will give you a dog that will best suit you and your home. They're definitely one of the best rescue places out there.

Best of luck with your search!

Advertisement