Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

España -v- Portugal, Tues 7:30pm RTE & BBC HD

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

looked like ronaldo spat at the camera!

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Ronaldo spitting at the camera. :rolleyes: Classy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Happy Spain are through but feel bad for the Portuguese keeper who impressed me this tournament.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Portugese keeper was fantastic tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

Looking forward to see the replay of the red card incident. If Capdevilla was acting I hope Paraguay slaughter them in the next round.

I've a feeling the rest of the World Cup is going to full of this acting!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

that Bruno Alves needs a haircut badly. Greasy lookin' bollix

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

gimmick wrote: »

Lot of footy to be played before that.

Anyway, woohoo

I know but it would be my ideal semi but I'm not sure the Germans can beat Argentina

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

An elbow came up but cant see if there was contact

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

BBC shown it now again - elbow was definitely swung.

Costa turns and looks at Capdevila then swings elbow back towards his head.

Seedorf says it has to be a red for intention alone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Yay RTE Ronaldo bashing. I missed this last season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

Delighted for Spain. Hopefully they'll make it to the semis. Looking good for it now.

Thought it was a very balanced game for the first half. Spain really put it up to them the second half though.

Roll on saturday night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

RTE ripping into Ronaldo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

monkey9 wrote: »
    Ronaldo spitting at the camera. :rolleyes: Classy!
    Considering there's a camera man holding that camera, i'd be pretty sure he spat on his legs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

DELIGHTED that Portugal lost. They weren't interested in playing football, only defending and once Spain scored they looked clueless.

Ronaldo... hahaha.... legendary player indeed. I've said it TIME and TIME again and I'll repeat it now, he's only good against rubbish teams. NEVER shows up when it really counts. Barca vs Man U... Barca vs Real M. Playing for portugal. WHEN has he ever been making the difference in big matches and influencing the game against the best teams?

As for the RED it was fully deserved, even if he made no contact the intent was there, and that's more than enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,014 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Busquets was class tonight, he really has improved a lot over the season. Xavi pulling the strings, Villa is just awesome but that defense still looks very shaky.

Impressed by Llorente when he came on, great substitution by Del Bosque.

Llorente reminds me a lot with his style of play of Tomas Skuhravy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Memnoch wrote: »
    DELIGHTED that Portugal lost. They weren't interested in playing football, only defending and once Spain scored they looked clueless.

Ronaldo... hahaha.... legendary player indeed. I've said it TIME and TIME again and I'll repeat it now, he's only good against rubbish teams. NEVER shows up when it really counts. Barca vs Man U... Barca vs Real M. Playing for portugal. WHEN has he ever been making the difference in big matches and influencing the game against the best teams?

As for the RED it was fully deserved, even if he made no contact the intent was there, and that's more than enough.

Capdevila should also be given a retrospective red card for simulation and feigning injury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

BBCs commentary take:
    We cannot tell whether he makes contact with Joan Capdevila, but he does go to swing his elbow and he's been stupid at the very best. Capdevila's behaviour, on the other hand, is abhorrent - he goes down as if he's been killed, moves to get up a second later, and then goes down again as if he's been killed when he sees the referee coming over. It's disgusting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,521 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Yay RTE Ronaldo bashing. I missed this last season.

Captain.

Anonymous.

Awful decision-making and general selfishness in play.

Also, that lovely little incident at the end.

Granted he didn't get some of the decisions he deserved but tbh the bashing is warranted.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

No need for the reaction though, it's pathetic

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

p4Uxd.jpg
    lads, JCB and a few chains.
    lets go to lisbon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

lol at Bill stirring up the Ronaldo bashing!

The lads on RTE are ripping into Ronaldo but then when he spits in the direction of the camera they defend him! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

Ronaldo was kicked out of another game. He had no support from his team either so had to try and do it all himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Ah good old RTE.If Ronaldo plays bad there wasnt actually a match on.Just him playing badly.
    If he plays good, there was a match he popped up in for a second

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

I blame Queiroz more than C. Ronaldo, for making him play in a centre-forward position. It is clearly not his best position on the pitch, though his own selfish attitude of course does not help at times.

Just knew before the tournament that Portugal, under this guy, would fail to set pulses racing among neutrals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Pauleta wrote: »
    Ronaldo was kicked out of another game. He had no support from his team either so had to try and do it all himself.

Thats right ya :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭baalthor

You really miss Dunphy from the post match Ronaldo roast although Brady is ably putting the boot in ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

Personally i can't wait for those cheating diving spaniards get their asses kicked. And the idea of a red for intent is the most stupid comment i've heard in a long time. If a defender tries to handle the ball or hack down a player but misses, is that a red? Did anyone get booked in this world cup for diving?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Thoroughly unimpressive victory I thought. I said this earlier in the WC - what does Del Bosque think he is doing trying to win a tournament while also attempting to play Torres back to fitness? he needs to forget him and start with any one of several other options/formations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Very lame debate AGAIN in the studio.

Not their fault, they have to fill in the airtime.

Ronnie Whelan looks and talks like a langer.

And the idea of a red for intent is the most stupid comment i've heard in a long time. If a defender tries to handle the ball or hack down a player but misses, is that a red? Did anyone get booked in this world cup for diving?

Remember Scholes gettng sent off V Liverpool for thowing a haymaker at Alonso in 2007. Sure that red was a travesty. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Remember those comments from Triesman about the Spanish bribing the refs in this WC.Maybe, those comments actually had some truth to them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

And the idea of a red for intent is the most stupid comment i've heard in a long time. If a defender tries to handle the ball or hack down a player but misses, is that a red? Did anyone get booked in this world cup for diving?

So if a player throws a punch, it's only a red if he makes contact????

A player can be booked and sent off for intent. I have no idea why you would think otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

Pighead wrote: »
    Question for the Spanish footie experts. What sort of level is Llorente considered to be at? Is he a consistent yet unspectacular striker like Defoe or is he one of the great white hopes for the future?

he plays for Atheltico Bilbao, who most seasons get into the UEFA Cup. They are from the basque region of spain, and only have ever signed basque players in their history (exception Lizarazu who played for France, but who was born there).

He has never been a consistent 20-league goals a season scorer, but is improving all the time. He is mainly a target man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

titan18 wrote: »
    Remember those comments from Triesman about the Spanish bribing the refs in this WC.Maybe, those comments actually had some truth to them

nah

Why? The red was just. Has there been any other decisions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

I hate seeing Whelan on the panel. Has he ever had an original thought?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

If that's the case Villa should be banned for violent conduct as well from the Chile match. Since no contact was made with Capdevilla he should also face consequences. Serious set of double standards Fifa have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I really don't think it was.They've been playacting and cheating a lot in the WC, and in a WC with a lot of yellows,the Spanish only have 1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,521 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I still can't see the contact for sure with these crappy angles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Very lame debate AGAIN in the studio.

Not their fault, they have to fill in the airtime.

You have probably been sheltered from the real langers that roam the streets!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

Thats was a pretty cool montage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

Can't understand RTE's "analysis", there are 22 players on the pitch.
    Granted he didn't contribute a whole lot (if anything) but I thought Torres' lack of form would be the highlight.
    Villa looked immense again, beginning to regret not backing him for the golden boot.
    Del Bosque's decision to bring on that tall lad was the winner I think, he just upset Carvalho/Alves, they didn't know where the attack was coming from.
    High, low, left flank, centre, he definitely turned the game imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Portugal taking off Hugo Almeidat who was thier target for "out ball" was bizarre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

murpho999 wrote: »
    Why all the hatred for Spain, I thought they were the better team and deserved their win.
    Red card or not, Portugal did nothing and Ronaldo is totally useless.

Surely he must lose his greatness tag, he has done nothing in WC 2010 & 2006 and Euro 2008

Yet he got 33 goals in 35 games last season. I think he is great in that he always scores against the upper average/middle/lower teams (3 points is 3 points) but can disappear in the big matches. Luckily for his past club teams, he wasn't the only good player on the pitch in the big matches.

But he does score in big games (CL final against Chelsea) but not nearly enough, he panicks when the one game totally decides everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Nice to see Llorente getting the plaudits in the Spanish media - his introduction was crucial.

I would not hesitate to drop Torres for Llorente after tonights impact.

Llorente and Iniesta both selected for random drug testing after the match and passed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

Think it is a bit farfetched but at the same time wouldn't rule it out. Their diving and trying to influence the ref has been very disappointing, especially when other teams players have gotten booked for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

You don't remember the CL final against Chelsea? The CL semi final against Arsenal? Just two games off the top of my head that were as big as you could want where he did quite well.

Ronaldo did play terribly tonight from what I saw (I only saw the second half). Queiroz is a terrible manager with absolutely no balls. He paid the price for his over cautious tactics.

I agree with the comments about Loriente's importance in the game. Just sticking him on the shoulder of the centre backs and then having Iniesta, Xavi, Alonso and Villa pick him out scared the crap out of Portugal. I wonder will del Bosque persevere with Torres.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Who was the one who brilliantly predicted that Portugal would get a red card after Spain scored??? Nice call.

Spain thoroughly deserved to win here tonight. And no, I can't understand some of the hate for them either. So they are not burning themselves out, going out and crushing teams 5 and 6 nil. Why bother? When it's not needed, why do it? Conserve yourself for the big time (semi-finals and final) and until then mediocre it out. Spain might not be playing overly pretty, but they are playing very clever...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Personally i can't wait for those cheating diving spaniards get their asses kicked. And the idea of a red for intent is the most stupid comment i've heard in a long time. If a defender tries to handle the ball or hack down a player but misses, is that a red? Did anyone get booked in this world cup for diving?

Roy Keane throwing a punch but missing Alan Shearer. Straight red card. A red card for intent is pretty common.

I'm glad the better team went through. Portugal are too negative for my liking and I'm tired of Ronaldo's hands on hips histrionics. But Spain are still horribly unbalanced, I don't understand why Del Bosque has the team set up the way he does.

That being said, I'm hoping for a Spain Argentina semi-final which could be a thriller. Potentially a game Messi can write his name into history in. Quite similar to Maradona playing against the country he plies his trade in in the 1990 semi final.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭peterswellman

murpho999 wrote: »
    and Ronaldo is totally useless.

I'm utterly baffled for words. Ronaldo IS useless? Not that he had a bad game but he IS useless. Really, i'm sorry but saying that is clueless to say the least. The man is without doubt one of the best players on the planet. He's strong, quick, clinical. His goalscoring record is astounding and you have the cheek to call him useless?

Beyond words. The Irish love bashing Ronaldo.

• Advertisement
Advertisement