Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

España -v- Portugal, Tues 7:30pm RTE & BBC HD

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Beyond words. The Irish love bashing Ronaldo.
    Not true, Tony Cascarino has been spotted sucking farts from his bottom, an I can't think of anybody more Irish than him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,082 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

As was said great call by the spanish manager to bring on the tall man to give the Portuguese defense something else to think about. When Torres was coming off i was thinking to myself would any english manager have the bottle to take off one of their star players if he was underperforming.
    Looking ahead, I still think Spain could do better if they found a place for David Silva. They seem too bunched in midfield at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭peterswellman

Ush1 wrote: »
    Not true, Tony Cascarino has been spotted sucking farts from his bottom, an I can't think of anybody more Irish than him!

The Cascarino name originated from the heart of Connemara iirc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

I'm utterly baffled for words. Ronaldo IS useless? Not that he had a bad game but he IS useless. Really, i'm sorry but saying that is clueless to say the least. The man is without doubt one of the best players on the planet. He's strong, quick, clinical. His goalscoring record is astounding and you have the cheek to call him useless?

Beyond words. The Irish love bashing Ronaldo.

He gets ridiculous abuse but a lot of it is brought on by his antics. I've never experienced having such a good player play for United and yet feeling no attachment to him whatsoever. Performances like tonight happen too often (throwing his arms, hands on hips, pointless shots from 40 yards out whilst on the left wing etc). He can be very difficult to like.

A wonderful talent alright, but severely lacking in many areas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

I think Spain will win this TBH.

They oughta beat Paraguay and I think when they face Argentina both sides will be almost purely based on attack. I can see Spain outscoring them. (expect Villa to get at least 2) I don't think Brazil can handle Spain as well. You have to remember Spain never ever got into the semis, so that will push them on as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Ush1 wrote: »

"Playing in a World Cup is magic, particularly when you have no right to be there at all!" :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭SuperInfinity

Guys I'm confused. Was he offside or not? This picture seems to show he's clearly offside, but I believe he actually isn't.

Either it's a very weird and misleading picture, it was photoshopped or Villa really was offside? :confused:

offside.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

His left leg was offside, the rest of his body was level

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Guys I'm confused. Was he offside or not? This picture seems to show he's clearly offside, but I believe he actually isn't.

Either it's a very weird and misleading picture, it was photoshopped or Villa really was offside? :confused:

offside.jpg

That Picture looks photoshopped imo.

He gets ridiculous abuse but a lot of it is brought on by his antics. I've never experienced having such a good player play for United and yet feeling no attachment to him whatsoever. Performances like tonight happen too often (throwing his arms, hands on hips, pointless shots from 40 yards out whilst on the left wing etc). He can be very difficult to like.

A wonderful talent alright, but severely lacking in many areas.

he didn't seem to give a damn as he walked off the pitch at the end of the game. it'll be interesting to see how Mourinho handles him. will he adopt the Ferguson approach?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Ramos was awesome tonight.

Nice to see Spain playing within themselves and still comfortably outclassing Portugal.

he didn't seem to give a damn as he walked off the pitch at the end of the game.

Yeah I was gutted! Wanted to see him cry...

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2890/world-cup-2010/2010/06/29/2002062/world-cup-2010-cristiano-ronaldo-slams-portugal-coach-carlos
    Portugal captain Cristiano Ronaldo has sensationally slammed coach Carlos Queiroz in the immediate aftermath of his side's 1-0 defeat to Spain in the World Cup 2010 first knockout round.

When pressed, Ronaldo was seemingly keen to point the blame at his coach as he tried to explain the disappointing performance from his side after a tournament which saw them win just one of their four games in South Africa.

Speaking to gathered reporters shortly after the final whistle, the Real Madrid star slammed: "How do I explain Portugal's elimination? Talk to Carlos Queiroz."

The forward, who struggled to influence the game as his nation disappointingly exited the tournament, then stormed out and refused to say any more on the matter.

:rolleyes: Don't think Mourinho would like too much of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,111 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

offside.jpg

Well, the angle the picture is taken at makes it look more then it is.

If you work off the line of the grass (about the best thing we can go off from the picture) and work your way across, keeping an equal distance top and bottom, you found that Villa is either onside, or erring on the side of caution is at worst equal. Thats how I see it when I do that anyway.

Didn't they discuss this on RTE? I think they were saying if even a players foot equal with the last player he is still onside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,839 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Melion wrote: »
    His left leg was offside, the rest of his body was level
    Which would mean he was offside, since the rule is 'if any part that can play the ball is offside'

I doubt it's photoshopped. However, the lack of depth perception from the 2D perspective makes it pretty irrelevant, not to mention the question of whether it was taken at the exact moment the pass was struck. It was incredibly close, and the linesman should give the benefit of the doubt to the attacker

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

Yeah I was gutted! Wanted to see him cry...

:D

well, at least maybe show he cared like some of the other players. perhaps he's the type of who doesn't like to show show emotion- although he showed plenty of it during the game when the ref' wouldn't give him frees:p

CorkMan wrote: »
    Didn't they discuss this on RTE? I think they were saying if even a players foot equal with the last player he is still onside.

They just showed the line across very briefly, but I still don't know. Liam Brady just said "he's onside as we can see here". I don't remember anything about "foot equal to the last player", they did it way too briefly if you ask me.

They just showed the line across very briefly, but I still don't know. Liam Brady just said "he's onside as we can see here". I don't remember anything about "foot equal to the last player", they did it way too briefly if you ask me.

the thing about the foot was from about a week ago, in another offside decision

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

What is the controversy about the offside rule? If some part of the body you can legally score with is offside, you're offside. Villa was probably offside from a glance.

But on the bright side Switzerland, Japan, Portugal and Italy out. That's got to be good from a neutral viewpoint.

dfx- wrote: »

But on the bright side Switzerland, Japan, Portugal and Italy out. That's got to be good from a neutral viewpoint.

Greece....

His left leg was offside. It was a goal, the linesman was right to give it when he was in doubt, but technically he was offside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

The problem is that the line demarcating the Penalty area and that of the 6 yard box are NOT exactly parallel. So if you draw a line with the penalty box marking as your reference he seems slightly off side. But if you draw a parallel with the 6 yard box, then he is on side.

Either way, there's enough doubt in the whole thing to say that the decision was fair enough and the goal should stand, though we would be saying the same thing if the goal had been disallowed. (i.e. fair enough decision).

Personally, I'm ECSTATIC that most of the more defensive minded teams have been knocked out. (though Portugal aren't really one of them even if that was their mentality vs spain).

Which is a nice big F U to the likes of Mick McCarthy and his harping on and on in commentary about how this was the professional way to get results etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

His left leg was offside. It was a goal, the linesman was right to give it when he was in doubt, but technically he was offside.

Only his right leg was grounded. I'd say not offside, unless he'd also be offside if he waved his arm into the space behind the defender. And I'd be wrong.

nipplenuts wrote: »
    Only his right leg was grounded. I'd say not offside, unless he'd also be offside if he waved his arm into the space behind the defender. And I'd be wrong.

Technically an arm can't be offside since you can't play the ball with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

I'm delighted that people from here are starting to finally realise how good David Villa is. I've always rated him above Torres significantly, nice to see other people think the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

:D

well, at least maybe show he cared like some of the other players. perhaps he's the type of who doesn't like to show show emotion- although he showed plenty of it during the game when the ref' wouldn't give him frees:p

He's not been too shy to let the tears flow before

Ronaldo5_320x450_754347a.jpg

ronaldo-crying.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,467 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

you just don't understand the offside rule. Its ok. Lots of people don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

eZe^ wrote: »
    I'm delighted that people from here are starting to finally realise how good David Villa is. I've always rated him above Torres significantly, nice to see other people think the same.

.....until he proves himself in England blah blah blaaaaaaaaaah

I rated Torres and Villa about equal all the time. Torres was never as clinical as Villa is in La Liga, but has been great for Liverpool when fit. Obviously Villa has it on the international front with 42 goals in 62 games, 2 away from Rauls record. (with 40 less caps)

• Advertisement

CorkMan wrote: »
    I rated Torres and Villa about equal all the time. Torres was never as clinical as Villa is in La Liga, but has been great for Liverpool when fit. Obviously Villa has it on the international front with 42 goals in 62 games, 2 away from Rauls record. (with 40 less caps)

Villas world cup tbh, and hes not even playing as a striker hes playing as a left wing and has 4 goals in 4 games this world cup. Fair play!

Villas world cup tbh, and hes not even playing as a striker hes playing as a left wing and has 4 goals in 4 games tihs world cup. Fair play!

And he holds (and is now improving) Spains record for the player to score in consecutive games (6 games ATM). He is their all time world cup scorer aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Torres is slightly a better finisher than Villa both in the air and on the ground but Villa is the better player. Villa has it all, he can play on the left or upfront to devastating effect. His link-up play is exceptional and he is the perfect match for Barca. Villa can assist and score whereas Torres mainly just scores and for me that is the main difference between the 2.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Has anyone got a clip where we can see any elbow movement?
    Delighted to see portugal go out; just a pity Spain couldn't go with them.
    The only two teams I can bear to watch are up against one another in the quarters and I still can't decide which of Germany and Argentina I want to win. I wouldn't begrudge Ghana either, mind you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

Has anyone got a clip where we can see any elbow movement?
    Delighted to see portugal go out; just a pity Spain couldn't go with them.
    The only two teams I can bear to watch are up against one another in the quarters and I still can't decide which of Germany and Argentina I want to win. I wouldn't begrudge Ghana either, mind you.

lol ....I'm the exact same. Have been up for Germany since the start. But I'm loving the whole Maradona thing so I'm torn now! And I'd love to see an African country make it through this round. Having said that, I like Uruguay as well.

Paraguay, Spain, Holland and Brazil I'm feeling very meh about!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭paddyismaddy

this was a boring game i expected a lot better

This is complete bull****.

His arms don't count at all. It doesn't matter whether your leg is touching the ground at all.

It doesn't matter what you'd "say", he was offside. It's not a matter of opinion like "I'd say".

Please get a clue on what you're talking about before you say something next time.

gimmick wrote: »
    .....until he proves himself in England blah blah blaaaaaaaaaah

You mean Torres ONLY scores in England. :)

I'ver never been a fan of Torres. Same deal as C.Ronaldo for me. A very quick and direct player that suits the "fast pace" of the premier league. I realise he's also doing well with Real Madrid but I think it has alot to do with the club he's playing for.

Villa is so much more than a sprinter who can finish.

I'd love to see Ghana get to the semi-final.

It would be good if Villa scored the winning goal in the Final. I've always rated him above Torres. Torres is a great finisher but Villa is a better all round player. He can change a game with his movement and link-up play

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭turly

Cristiano Ronaldo: Bad Form! on El Pais website.

That bit about him spitting at towards the cameraman had a precursor where he told the cameraman to "Go and film the winners, ****head."* Cameraman may or may not speak Spanish but continues following CR, who then spits at towards him.

What a complete knobhead.

* The term he used was "Carajo" - better Spanish speakers should be able to suggest a better translation, but I think I've got the spirit of it

• Advertisement

turly wrote: »

That bit about him spitting at the cameraman had a precursor where he told the cameraman to "Go and film the winners, ****head."* Cameraman may or may not speak Spanish but continues following CR, who then spits at him.

* The term he used was "Carajo" - better Spanish speakers should be able to suggest a better translation, but I think I've got the spirit of it

He did not spit at the cameraman.

He spat in front of himself. If anything he spat on himself.

I really hate people in this world who exaggerate and bull**** about everything so much. They are the lowest people on the planet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

turly wrote: »

That bit about him spitting at the cameraman had a precursor where he told the cameraman to "Go and film the winners, ****head."* Cameraman may or may not speak Spanish but continues following CR, who then spits at him.

He needs to learn to lose with dignity and show leadership - he is the countries captain ffs.

He usually cant get enough of himself on camera.

For those interested he keeps telling the cameraman to more or less fuck off over and over.

Spitting on the camera - classy guy :rolleyes:

Also when Quieroz makes a sub (Danny for Almeida) during the video Ronaldo turns around on the pitch and says "we wont win like that"

He did not spit at the cameraman.

He spat in front of himself. If anything he spat on himself.

I really hate people in this world who exaggerate and bull**** about everything so much. They are the lowest people on the planet.

He did spit on the lens - did you not see it last night ?

BBC certainly had it - spits on the lens - u can clearly see it dripping down it ffs!

redout wrote: »

BBC certainly had it - spits on the lens - u can clearly see it dripping down it ffs!

Is this what you're talking about? If so you're out of your ****ing mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭turly

Not doing too bad on the old exaggeration stakes yourself :D

Is this what you're talking about? If so you're out of your ****ing mind.

No that is just the same as the video just posted.

He 100% spits on the lens and it drips down.

As I said it was shown on the BBC coverage last night.

They even showed it after the game and were commenting on it.

You shouldnt dismiss other posters when you dont even know the full story to be honest.

You shouldnt dismiss other posters when you dont even know the full story to be honest.

I can't find it anywhere on youtube.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

The incident they showed on RTE was different to this, in the one I saw he spat on the ground, clearly.

Not saying there isn't another one, but the confusion obviously lies in the fact the the two TV stations must have shown two different incidents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Are you sure the BBC showed a different video redout? Seems awfully strange that The Sun reported on this story and they have shown the video where he spits on the ground.

Why would the most sensationalist of all the papers show the least shocking video instead of showing the one where he spits at the lens? Surely if there was a video of him spitting at the camera lens they would have used it? Doesn't add up.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/worldcup2010/3035239/Cristiano-Ronaldo-in-spit-shame-after-World-Cup-knockout.html

• Advertisement

flahavaj wrote: »
    The incident they showed on RTE was different to this, in the one I saw he spat on the ground, clearly.

Not saying there isn't another one, but the confusion obviously lies in the fact the the two TV stations must have shown two different incidents.
    Pighead wrote: »
    Are you sure the BBC showed a different video redout? Seems awfully strange that The Sun reported on this story and they have shown the video where he spits on the ground.

Why would the most sensationalist of all the papers show the least shocking video instead of showing the one where he spits at the lens? Surely if there was a video of him spitting at the camera lens they would have used it? Doesn't add up.

It was absolutely on the BBC - I can even recall that it was on the right side of the lens from what I remember. Pretty sure the BBC had already gone back to the studio and were analysing and then Lineker made a comment and they showed it.

Advertisement