Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

VEC Bicycle Maintance Evening Course Sept 2010

• 25-06-2010 9:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

This coming Sept/Oct will see the start of the first ever VEC bicycle maintenance evening course, the course will be run 1 evening a week over 10 weeks in Balbriggan Community College.

The course is mainly aimed at Racing/ Touring cyclists and will consist of PowerPoint presentations and interactive maintenance tutorials.

By the end of the 10 week course each "Student" should have enough knowledge to happily carry out general repairs and maintenance and be able to set up riding position correctly.

The course is being run by 2 racing cyclists with a combined 16 year experience in bicycle repair and fitting.

Further information including Fee, module detail, times etc coming soon.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Is this accredited ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭shaungil

deadly just up the road please keep me posted will try to make this and know of other who would too in area.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Red.Barron

What credentials do you require Gavin??

We both have a PhD in bicycle maintenance.. ha

What more should you require???

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭short circuit

Gavin wrote: »
    Is this accredited ?
    Red.Barron wrote: »

I suppose the question was whether you were targeting the home mechanic or whether at the end of this, one would come with an industry recognised certificate with standards ... something which over time bicycle mechanics all over Ireland will be forced to get.

But from your anwer it seems as that if you want a cert., get busy on your home printer ... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Red.Barron wrote: »
    What credentials do you require Gavin??

What more should you require???

The accreditation is for the student not the teacher. Whats the point in finishing a college course & saying I didn't get a qualification, but the lecturer had a phd...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 Red.Barron

Ok I better clarify things..

The course is aimed at cyclists who would like to carry out home repairs on their OWN bikes. Basic stuff like changing tubes/ tyres and other minor repairs. I realise it wont take 10 weeks to show people the basics but I was thinking of including basic bike fitting & training / Racing tips.

The maximum period for these evening classes is 10 weeks but it can be as few as 5 depending on the material we put together..

This is in the very early stages, I want to gauge the interest before I finalize things.

There will be NO Official qualification at the end of this..

I was hoping that the knowledge gained would be enough but if that wont suffice I could happily print out a Certificate and give it to each student upon completion of the course but it wont be worth anymore than the paper it will be printed on..

I believe there should be some sort of official industry recognised certificate but unfortunately there is not.

Red Barron.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Fair enough, was just checking. It would be nice to get an official certified course over here. If you are interested in going that way, you could get onto FAS, they can help with accreditation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Lawdie

Yep would be interested. What evening and time where you thinking about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

I live in Swords and would be interested in something like this if the price was right (currently unemployed).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

I'd be a definite for this if it happens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 851 ✭✭✭GlennaMaddy

Is this still in the planning stages?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Bluefoam wrote: »
    The accreditation is for the student not the teacher. Whats the point in finishing a college course & saying I didn't get a qualification, but the lecturer had a phd...

Education is not the process of accumulating certificates. I think the general idea is that you end up knowing more stuff than when you started.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

Lumen wrote: »
    Education is not the process of accumulating certificates. I think the general idea is that you end up knowing more stuff than when you started.

That's true. If you have no need to 'prove' your knowledge/skill/competence, there's not much point in a certificate.

However, course accreditation is important in that it ensures that the course is being delivered to an agreed (and measurable) standard, is properly quality-assured, protects the consumer if the college goes bust etc. etc.

Advertisement