Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC: Changing to Wireless Router

• 25-06-2010 9:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

I recently moved into a new apartment that already has a UPC connection, but the broadband router does not have wireless (Scientific Atlanta 2203).

However, I have my wireless router from my old house which was also on a UPC account (Cisco EPC2425). When I connect the cable to the wireless router, I can get a signal to my laptop, but no internet connection on the router.

Is each router connected to one particular account at a certain address, or is there anything I can change that will allow me to use the wireless router?

Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated

Cheers!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

That Cisco is a combined cable modem and router, it cannot be used now if you've cancelled your old account. You should have returned it to UPC, as it's useless to you, and remains their property.

You need to buy a router, and can connect that to the SA modem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 dolerslad

jor el wrote: »
    That Cisco is a combined cable modem and router, it cannot be used now if you've cancelled your old account. You should have returned it to UPC, as it's useless to you, and remains their property.

You need to buy a router, and can connect that to the SA modem.

Ok jor el, thanks for your help. Better give the router back to UPC so! Cheers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

You could ask them to provision your modem for your new address.

Did you close your old account?
    It's just that if you move into an address that has the modem there, that modem is obviously from the last person living there's account, and as with your modem, belongs to UPC.

If you are transfering your old account to the new address they will want to use the old modem anyway (I've had a few house moves at this stage!:D), but if you're opening a new account, you can probably just get them to asign the MAC from the Cisco Wireless modem you have to the new account.

Maybe anyway, the might have a policy against it, but logisticly it could be done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

^^ Good advice, and probably the simplest solution.

However, many people would give a small part of their soul to have one of those Scientific Atlanta modems in place of the Cisco combined modem/router. The Cisco gets a hell of a lot of complaints. If you were using it before without any problem, then it obviously didn't effect you, and should be fine to continue with. Just bare in mind that the SA with a separate router might be a better option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Very true.
    I'm holding onto my SA like my life depends on it!
    At least until the Docsis 3 modems come out and I have to switch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

However you only need a DOCSIS 3.0 modem for maybe > 25Mbps.

I prefer having the "Modem only" solution. I think both options ought to be available, or at least you should be able to configure the Cisco into being a "dumb" Modem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 392 ✭✭etcetc

will any wireless router work with the upc modem?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

What you need is what's known as a cable router i.e. one that does not have an integrated dsl modem for example: http://www.netgear.co.uk/home_wireless_cable_routers.php

Advertisement