Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cutting chipboard

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

would
    http://www.raygrahams.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=85805&osCsid=l9b2ea0gqd6ekva4bich7c0jv0
    be OK to cut the presss under the sink. Is that chipboard?

EDITI was trying to make the url into the word 'this'. What is the differece between using insert link and just copyng then link here?

How much of it are you trying to cut? TBH, a pad saw will be hard work cutting chip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,620 ✭✭✭✭looksee

And it will shred it!

Buy yourself a cheap jigsaw - you'll get one for around €30 - you will use it again, and will end up buying a better one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭PrimalTherapy

looksee wrote: »
    And it will shred it!

Buy yourself a cheap jigsaw - you'll get one for around €30 - you will use it again, and will end up buying a better one.
    space is too small for a jigsaw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,620 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I got one of those saws for a similar purpose and it wasn't much use for chipboard, it breaks up the surface. However if you are just cutting say a recess for a waste pipe it might be ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,223 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

would
    http://www.raygrahams.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=85805&osCsid=l9b2ea0gqd6ekva4bich7c0jv0
    be OK to cut the presss under the sink. Is that chipboard?

EDITI was trying to make the url into the word 'this'. What is the differece between using insert link and just copyng then link here?

You need to give a better idea of what you are going to be doing,

If you are cutting out at the back of the press in the sink, sometimes the backs of those units are only a few mm thick and so a padsaw would handle it.

There is no point in you buying a powertool like a jigsaw if you are only going to be doing this job.

If you are going trough the side of the press, the padsaw will struggle - because it will be going through 2 pieces of the press.

I presume there is not enough room for a drill with a drill bit on it then?

As i said let us know what you are trying to cut out.

An old chisel, or a cheap new one might be ok for what you are trying to do.

• Advertisement

You need to give a better idea of what you are going to be doing,
    It is to cut off a small section for a wastepipe. It will not be seen so it does not matter how it looks or if it shreds it
    If you are cutting out at the back of the press in the sink, sometimes the backs of those units are only a few mm thick and so a padsaw would handle it
    It is it is 18 mm thick.
    There is no point in you buying a powertool like a jigsaw if you are only going to be doing this job.
    correct, it is a really small but necessary job
    If you are going trough the side of the press, the padsaw will struggle - because it will be going through 2 pieces of the press
    No, I will be going over the top.
    I presume there is not enough room for a drill with a drill bit on it then?
    i thought of that , what about the vibration?What would I do? Drill a few holes?The wastepipe is a couple inches wide and won't go through a drill hole. What i really need to do is cut dip in the top to allow the wastepipe to fit through. A v shape would do if i could do it
    An old chisel, or a cheap new one might be ok for what you are trying to do.
    can't get at it. There is only a couple inches of space to work in hence the small thin blade saw

here is a screenshot, hope it is not too big

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 496 ✭✭bette

here is a screenshot, hope it is not too big

This is the sort of thing the plumbers use. Can you borrow one from a friend? It's a neat 30 second job!

220px-Drill_arbor_holesaw_2.jpg

Are they expensive?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 496 ✭✭bette

Are they expensive?

10 or 15 euros in Homebase and similar!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

bette wrote: »
    10 or 15 euros in Homebase and similar!

:eek: I've bought a set with a mandrel for similar money, the easy plumb ones in b&q - there down the plumbing aisle

I'd say excel supply all Irish DIY shops so they should be available anywhere with a decent plumbing section - maybe with different packaging

If you get a holesaw and mandrel on their own, get a 44mm just in case they used the wider 40mm waste pipe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,223 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

You can use what is above or this

WL0600__1.jpg

Might be a little cheaper.

You could also give it a go with a normal drill bit, as you said it doesn't matter how it looks,

Drilling a few holes in the shape you want will work for you. Drill them as close together as you can, the perimeter of the shape if you know what i mean, will weaken it for you, not sure if you'd have room then to try break it out with something, only you will know this.

If not you'll have to go at it with a bit like the poster above posted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,762 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

If the drill didn't fit, you could also try one of the flexible blade hacksaw, functionally similar to this:
    post-multisaw.jpg, Stanley do them and woodies sell them for about €7

astrofool wrote: »
    If the drill didn't fit, you could also try one of the flexible blade hacksaw, functionally similar to this:
    post-multisaw.jpg, Stanley do them and woodies sell them for about €7

Thanks everyone. i think I will try the original one first. I looked at hole saw was 15 euro

Advertisement