Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you volunteer for anything in Drogheda?

Options
  • 25-06-2010 9:50pm

Would anyone here happen to know if there's any way you can get involved with any of the ES in Drogheda at all?

And if so, if there are any prerequisites for volunteering with different groups?

I've been reading a lot about the Civil Defence (Dublin, mostly, as that seemed to be the one most discussed on here) and from the old threads I've read, the Civil Defence really seems to have no downside. It seems to be a case of "Put in a bit of time and effort, and we'll open a world of training opportunities to you".

Obviously I'm not sure if it's as cookie-cutter as that, but that seemed to be the general idea.

A website I visted a few hours ago (volunteerlouth.ie) had a mention of volunteers wanted for the Civil Defence and noted the Drogheda Fire Station as a training place (though the ad was dated 15/3/2010, so i'd say that's long been fulfilled).

To be honest though, I didn't really even know we had a Civil Defence. I thought Dublin was the closest. It appears our Civil Defence is Dundalk-based, which is not much use to me, as I don't have my own transport.

Drogheda has a fair few emergency services I know of, from Boyne Fishermen's River Rescue, Drogheda River Rescue, Gardaì, HSE Ambulance Station, St. John Ambulance, Order Of Malta, Irish Coast Guard, Fire Service and such, and I know a few of them generally do have/take volunteer people, but I wouldn't have a bean how to get involved with them or what's required of me.

So I'm pretty much just looking for any info, advice or comments from people.

I would like to be a part of something that; if you actually stick with them and don't act the bollocks, there is something in it for me (in the form of some kind of training or such) that could be useful in future, should I ever decide to try the emergency services as a career choice (I know that may sound pretty selfish, but I'm 22, no decent formal education, have no idea what I want to do with my life, and would love to get some practical, real-life experience with this kind of work).

(EDIT: I know there's a volunteer forum, but seen as I'm asking specifically about emergency services, I assumed this would be a better place?)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭touge_drift

well none of the above are emergency services, but give all the volunteer services you named above a call and see where they meet and if they are looking for new members

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭paraletic

i am a (lapsed) member of the civil defence.www.civildefence.ie

i only have limited knowlege of the orginization, but what i know is very positive. it was set up to prepare for nuclear war, but its role has widened hugely:
    firstly you should know that every county has civil defence units. (i think)

if you want to be trained in first aid and volunteer on an ambulance for duties, the civil defence can train you.
    if you want to be involved with the auxiliary fire service, civil defence will train you.
    if you want to be involved in major emergency welfare. civil defence will train you.
    if you want to be involved in search and rescue/recovery, civil defence will train you.
    if you want to be involved in boat rescue, civil defence will train you.

infact there is very few parts of emergency response that the civil defence is not involved with.

the civil defence has, in the past, helped loyal volunteers to gain class c and d driving experience and training,.

i owe alot to the civil defence, it is a great orginization, that offers support to the community,
    (the cd was great in last years floods)

if you want a start in the emergency services, the CD is the best way - IN MY OPINION (edit: i started with cd and i am now a hse paramedic, some others went on to hse as well, others went to the fire service)

edit:you can join the CD at ANY time of year, regardless of advertisements as it is a voluntary orginisation, (although summer holidays might cause a delay) there will be no pressure put on you by any body, contact you local cd officer for details (see county council directories for phone numbers),
    edit:its great fun, with great people.

Thanks for your response, Paraletic.

I would love to be involved with the Civil Defence, but I still can't find anything on them in Drogheda. Not having transportation would make getting to Dundalk difficult (and considering the nature of such volunteerism, and the fact that I'd love to get as much training out of them as I could, I'd ideally like to be with them more than the minuimum required time each week)

As I said in my opening post, on the volunteerlouth website, the Civil Defence had a voluntary space in the Drogheda Fire Station (ten minute walk from my house) which would have been easy to get to, though I'm not entirely sure if you'd get the full spectrum of opportunities if you were staying at a Fire Station (not that I'd complain!), but the volunteer people rang me, and when I spoke to them about it, they said they'd contact Civil Defence, ring me back and let me know, but when they rang me back they said the Civil Defence didn't have anything in Drogheda.

Don't think I'm able to volunteer directly with the Fire Station, either. And if I could, I'd still be looking to try and get my hands on some formal experience that I could use to my advantage, as you have, to secure your place as a Paramedic (as opposed to sitting around a fire station for a few hours a week, sweeping up and making tea, and never actually doing anything).

It's all a bit awkward.:(

I have been in touch with the Boyne Fishermen's River Rescue & Recovery Service, though. They seem happy enough to let me join up, but I'm just a bit wary, as I don't want to jump into anything too intense straight away (assuming most of their activity is water based, and I'm not the fittest person in the world, it could be a disastrous move for me :P ). Though I don't mind water... Must ring them.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭paraletic

if it helps the louth co co has a section on civil defence on there website:
    http://www.louthcoco.ie/en/Services/Civil-Defence/

training centre locations:
    http://www.louthcoco.ie/en/Services/Civil-Defence/Training-Centres/

maybe meath co co have an easier location for you:
    http://www.meath.ie/LocalAuthorities/CivilDefence/CivilDefenceTrainingClasses/

although i am a fan of the civil defence the fisherman rescue thing sounds interesting. and don't forget the red cross, order of malta, st john's ambo,
    which ever you choose i hope you enjoy.

it is great to give time to a good orginization, and with these orginizations they will also give you loads of new skills!!

To be honest, I haven't a clue where any of those training centres are :o.

Must get out the ould Google Earth and take a mooch.

I'm gonna send a letter up to the Fire Station and see if they'll entertain the idea of a volunteer at all.

Wish I was living in Dundalk, to be honest. Would be great to be able to get in with the Civil Defence. Would love to be able to consider an Ambulance/Paramedic job in future, so would love to be able to get some kind of feel/experience for it, you know.

Might Contact Malta, but I don't think they do much in Drogheda, either. They have an ambulance at the ambulance station, but I've never really seen it out and about (though the times i seen it in the Ambulance station, it was always in different parking spaces, so it must be going somewhere).

St. Johns Ambulance are new in Drogheda, i think, and I don't really know what kind of experience I'd get with them (that is, I know they cover sporting events and such, but Im unsure what volunteering with them would actually consist of, though the same question applies to the Order of Malta).

I don't know if the Red Cross do anything around here, either :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 iron_man

Civil Defence were training in Drogheda at one stage but I think they have stopped training there due to lack of numbers.. not sure tho!!

Louth Civil Defence train in Dunleer as well as Dundalk. The Dunleer class is on a Tues night between 8-10pm , usually at the fire station! Training locations usually vary depending on what training is being carried out.. but once you can make it to Dunleer usually transport will be provided to where-ever the training is. Just pop in some Tues night or call in advance to find out where they will be training! check out the Louthcoco.ie website :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 iron_man

iron_man wrote: »
    Civil Defence were training in Drogheda at one stage but I think they have stopped training there due to lack of numbers.. not sure tho!!

Louth Civil Defence train in Dunleer as well as Dundalk. The Dunleer class is on a Tues night between 8-10pm , usually at the fire station! Training locations usually vary depending on what training is being carried out.. but once you can make it to Dunleer usually transport will be provided to where-ever the training is. Just pop in some Tues night or call in advance to find out where they will be training! check out the Louthcoco.ie website :)

Sorry guys... made a mistake. Training on a Wed Night (8-10pm) for the Dunleer Class!!!! not a tues night!

iron_man wrote: »
    Sorry guys... made a mistake. Training on a Wed Night (8-10pm) for the Dunleer Class!!!! not a tues night!

Jeez, everywhere seems to be training on a Wednesday. :(

Visited the Boyne Fishermen. There were only three or four there, but all seemed fairly nice. Might try my luck with them.

Will send a letter to the Drogheda Fire Station to see if they allow/accept volunteers.

I'd be very interested in an Ambulance Corp (an area in which Civil Defence seem to provide great training) but St. John's Ambulance train on Wednesday which would clash with the Fishermen (though I haven't contacted SJA) and I'm not sure what Order of Malta do, but I think I read they are on Wednesdays, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭pingu2008

No.1 Letter No Vols In any Louth Fire stations 2 Order of malta are an ambulance corps in drog and i think they meet on a monday or tuesday 3 There is a unit of the civil defence in drogheda only set up last year runs out of the fire station but you would have to contact louth Civil Defence HQ in dundalk for details as it has nothing to do with drogheda fire service

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭STANDCLEAR!!!

Jeez, everywhere seems to be training on a Wednesday. :(

Visited the Boyne Fishermen. There were only three or four there, but all seemed fairly nice. Might try my luck with them.

Will send a letter to the Drogheda Fire Station to see if they allow/accept volunteers.

I'd be very interested in an Ambulance Corp (an area in which Civil Defence seem to provide great training) but St. John's Ambulance train on Wednesday which would clash with the Fishermen (though I haven't contacted SJA) and I'm not sure what Order of Malta do, but I think I read they are on Wednesdays, too.

Hi KKV,

I am a member of the Red Cross in Dundalk.

We have a unit that runs in Thomas street in Drogheda every Tuesday from 7 -9pm i think. they cover events such as gaa, football, cycling races, community games, equestrian events, and public gatherings all to name but a few. They will start you off at occupational first aid after this course you can become a uniformed operational member then progress to EFR emergency first responder and then to EMT emergency medical technician. You will gain plenty of experience with the red cross and it is a fantastic stepping stone into the ambulance service.

if you are interested pm me and i will forward you the unit officers number.

best of luck in what ever you do

STANDCLEAR!!!

• Advertisement

pingu2008 wrote: »
    No Vols In any Louth Fire stations... runs out of the fire station

A-ha! So there are volunteers in the fire station! :pac:

Seriously though, thanks for that information. Would love to be able to get involved with them. I'll contact the Civil Defence in Dundalk and see what is said.

Cheers Pingu.

Stand Clear, I'll PM you shortly :)

I have to admit, everyone I've spoken to (or emailed, etc.) so far in relation to the Civil Defence/Ambulance/Fire/River Rescue/etc. all seem to be fairly nice guys and happy to help out. Ye are a great bunch!

EDIT: Just off the phone with the Civil Defence, and they reckon the closest to me is Dunleer. They never mentioned the Drogheda Fire Station. :(

Advertisement