Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Psychic Octopus

Options
  • 25-06-2010 9:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭

This Octopus called Paul has an impressive record of predicting the outcome of soccer matches correctly;
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/world/europe/10420131.stm

What do people here think about it, can animals have that kind of ability?
    The statistics are impressive; 80% success rate is a lot better than random chance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Well firstly I hope Germany kick England out of the World Cup and secondly a pschyic octopus has got to be the stupidest thing I have ever heard .... now psyhic people .... oh wait.

Had that Octopus been around to advise Hitler alot of lives may have been saved.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

in the last world cup, work had a world cup pools thing going and one person predicted the winner of every game. He wasnt psychic though - just lucky.

maccored wrote: »
    in the last world cup, work had a world cup pools thing going and one person predicted the winner of every game. He wasnt psychic though - just lucky.

Did you work in an aquarium?

Grimes wrote: »
    Did you work in an aquarium?

No. You obviously dont work as a comedian.

No. You obviously dont work as a comedian.

No I have a real job .. im a full time paranormal investigator

• Advertisement

you forgot 'professional' - it always sounds better with 'professional'.

you forgot 'professional' - it always sounds better with 'professional'.

haha thanks :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Well, I'm off down to the bookies now to collect my winnings :D
    Paul has so far correctly predicted all of Germany's results in South Africa, and whats more he (it) predicted an emphatic victory agaist England, by swimming straight into the jar without any hesitation.
    Never underestimate an octopus. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭0verblood

Grimes wrote: »
    No I have a real job .. im a full time paranormal investigator

I hope you're being sarcastic. Or are you for real?

0verblood wrote: »
    I hope you're being sarcastic. Or are you for real?

Seriously... Your asking that? Of course I'm being sarcastic. There is no such things as ghosts.

• Advertisement

oh yeah - try and cover it up :p . we all know you believe in teh ghosties.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

The Octopus now has a 100% success rate. Adios Germany.

he has a 50/50 chance of guessing correctly each time so the odds arent exactly that weird.

Swampy wrote: »
    The Octopus now has a 100% success rate. Adios Germany.
    Germany have still to play Uruguay for 3rd place, so one more chance to make money. I have been reinvesting 75% of the winnings since the England game, hitting the jackpot again and again.:) with Argentina and Spain. Pity I missed out on the Australia and Serbia predictions. He now has his own wikipedia page;
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_the_Octopus

Makes me curious...seeing as the octopus is known to be very intelligent, capable of learning and using tools etc, could this one be acting as some sort of conduit or intermediary to somebody or something in the spirit world?

the first thing that would honestly spring to mind would be even if ghosts did exist, why should one be able to see the future? Its making a choice between one object and another - nothing remarkable there. If you read that news article, you'll see they only mentioned two instances (up till then) that the octopus was right. They never mentioned how long he's been guessing about anything, but they did mention 2008 - so you can assume he's had a fair few guesses at a fair things over the past two years - but they can only mention two things he got right and the obligitarory statistic percentage.

Or make that three. No odds - its not that spectatular. if he were to guess the correct result that a team might ever play and win or within a sizeable time frame then maybe, but the chances of being right three times in a row in an undetermined time frame isnt any more than chance and to be honest, it irks me sometimes to see how the paranormal community can let itself be suckered into promoting whats basically an internet meme.

but they can only mention two things he got right and the obligitarory statistic percentage.

Or make that three.
    No, make that five in a row, or 100% right in this years World Cup. That article I linked to originally is now out of date!

i find that an octopus can choose between two objects interesting - that I admit. Its not a very rare thing - otherwise dolphins would be out of a job - but its also not too rare to get 5 guesses right in a row either (go higher or lower on a deck of cards and you'll easily get past 5). especially when you have a 50/50 chance in the first place. interesting and entertaining? - yes. Paranormal? - no, not really.

Im sure Mani the Psychic Parrot isnt too impressed with that damn octopus getting all the limelight either. Again it just shows how this isnt *that* rare.

Yeah right, that birdbrain predicted Uruguay V Spain for the final.:D
    It's getting the tip-offs from it's owner the astrologer. It just goes to show what a fraud astrology is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

The chances of correctly predicting the outcome of 6 matches is 2 to the power of 6 or 1/64.

However, an ardent German supporter who would pick their national side each time would have got 4 matches correct anyway.

If you have accurate information on which side is stronger, and have a tendency to choose that side, then the effective odds become less than 50:50 with each choice (otherwise bookies would go out of business!).

Paul, via his guardians, claims to be an impartial punter. We don't know though, whether there is some way in which he might favour the German selection. If he has some bias towards Germany, then because they're a strong side, this reduces the effective odds with each choice.

Nevertheless, if we accept that a reasonable definition of any clairvoyant ability is one which contributes to an enhancement of luck, rather than a 100% accurate record, then we still can't make a judgement on whether this ability is real or not - there is simply not enough information available.

If we include his previous Euro 2008 predictions with the (current) World cup predictions, his success rate becomes 2^10 or 1 in 1024. This is more impressive, however, again, these are all predictions for Germany. Since we can't tell if there is some non-paranormal tendency to favour Germany, then we can't establish the real odds and have to leave it as an open question.

(Yes I have too much time on my hands! ..back to work)

• Advertisement

Paul scores again as Germany beat Uruguay yesterday :):)
    You lovely octopus, you are making me rich, rich, RICH :D
    The eight legged genius has now predicted Spain to win the final, so there is one last chance to €€€cash in with The Cunning Cephalopod.:pac:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ya85knuDzp8

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

Don't any of ye know that octopuses are colour blind???

They can only differntiate the contrast of the flags, they can't see any colours. And ye do know his owners put 2 pieces of food in 2 containers when he is hungry and the box with the national flag is his prediction? Put a roast turkey into one box and a ten cents bar into the other, I think I know who he will predict.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

recedite wrote: »
    Paul scores again as Germany beat Uruguay yesterday :):)
    You lovely octopus, you are making me rich, rich, RICH :D
    The eight legged genius has now predicted Spain to win the final, so there is one last chance to €€€cash in with The Cunning Cephalopod.:pac:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ya85knuDzp8
    Thanks. Made a lot of money out of this also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Sasquatch76

Screw all that... I want him as Hodgson's #2 at Liverpool.

CorkMan wrote: »
    Put a roast turkey into one box and a ten cents bar into the other, I think I know who he will predict.
    But they actually put identical mussels in each container.

Well, the magnificent mollusc has struck gold again, 100% correct seven times in a row and I'm off down to the bookies to cash in again. They are getting suspicious of me down there now; I think I have cleaned them out :pac:

How does Paul do it? Look at it this way. It's like a car engine; In order to use it you don't have to know how it works, just that it does work. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Clearly, what is happening is that through the mechanism of quantum entanglement a morphic resonance field is set up by the ingenious invertebrate which influences the outcome of the match so that the desired team wins. The outcome is not "predicted" as such; that would be absurd.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭stevedublin

can someone tell me what Paul the Octopus predicts for next Wednesdays winning lotto numbers please?

SkepticOne wrote: »
    Clearly, what is happening is that through the mechanism of quantum entanglement a morphic resonance field is set up by the ingenious invertebrate which influences the outcome of the match so that the desired team wins. The outcome is not "predicted" as such; that would be absurd.

either that or he's a flukey git. The parrot has apparently took a contract out on the octopus. quantum entanglement ftw btw.

SkepticOne wrote: »
    Quantum entanglement has indeed been suggested before as a basis for psychic abilities, however Paul could never admit to this as it would leave him open to allegations of match-fixing.

• Advertisement

aww - Paul Famous OctoPus is looking for friends:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Paul-the-Octopus/138987006118901

I still thing ye's all fell for some neatly done internet marketing.

Advertisement