Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Disability Allowance-Waiting time

• 25-06-2010 10:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone has applied for DA and the waiting time for a
    decision? Now entering my the eighth month and all I was told from Longford Office is its with my local office.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

bog master wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone has applied for DA and the waiting time for a
    decision? Now entering my the eighth month and all I was told from Longford Office is its with my local office.

Things were seemingly delayed by the industrial action.

Have you phoned Longford/ your local office? Ask to speak to a senior officer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61 ✭✭babs.jones

Hi I rang the other day snotty cow told meits a 16 to 20 weeks waiting list. ;( myn wnt be true till sept. Don't know what to do???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

babs.jones wrote: »
    Hi I rang the other day snotty cow told meits a 16 to 20 weeks waiting list. ;( myn wnt be true till sept. Don't know what to do???

Ask for Supplementary Benefit; you are entitled to that as after all you have to live ( assuming that you are not able to work?)

Ask at the Citizens' Information; they are pretty clued up on it all.

I waited 8 months too. When Longford told me it was with my local office, I rang them, was told it was with the inspector, got the number for that office and rang them too. Evetually it was back in Longford for a few weeks, I rang them ta few times - some of them are a bit snotty, some of them are very helpful. Made sure of where my file was sitting at all times! Came back yesterday rejected, seeing the doctor today for another cert to send with my appeal, which could take another 6 months.

I echo the poster above: Citizen's Advice is a good place to start, if you have no income you should be entitled to the Supplimentary Welfare allowance in the mean time, they will be able to tell you where your local office is. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭lukep13

I applied on June 15, handed in the application in the Dun Laoghaire Office, received acknowledgment letter from Longford last week.

Budgese if i may ask on what grounds did they reject you? What illness?! If you can share? Did you see the medform your doctor filled out?! How did she/he rate your symptoms Mild? Severe?

Im not too optimistic, how can they reject a claim?! If a doctor says your sick unfit for work then you are unfit for work!:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

lukep13 wrote: »
    If a doctor says your sick unfit for work then you are unfit for work!:mad:

It is a means tested payment. You may be means in excess in which case you won't be entitled to payment. Also your illness must be expected to be long term - at least a year.

From [url]www.welfare.ie:[/url]
    To qualify for Disability Allowance (DA) you must:

Have an injury, disease or physical or mental disability that has continued or may be expected to continue for at least one year
    As a result of this*disability be substantially restricted in undertaking work that would otherwise be suitable for a person of your age, experience and qualifications
    Be aged*between 16 and 66.*When you reach*66 years of age you will no longer qualify for DA, but you will be assessed for a*state pension.
    Satisfy a means test
    Satisfy the Habitual Residence Condition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭coco200066

Hi,

I have applied for this as-well and am still waiting on a decision, however, in the meantime I went to my local Welfare Officer who couldn't have been more helpful and she set me up with supplementary allowance. It is the same rate that you would get for the official payment and they pay that too you till you get an answer from the official department your waiting on.

The local Welfare Officer is where you need to go to period, they will advise you re all your entitlements.

Advertisement