Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Well That's the End of My Cycling...

• 25-06-2010 10:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭

Been unemployed for the last 7 months & finally managed to get a job.... in Qatar. Don't think I'll be managing any 2hrs spins in 40+ degree heat!

Now to find a new addiciton.....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Don't give up hope mate: http://www.360east.com/?p=669

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭DualFrontDiscs

The Amazing Cooled Cycle Path

No excuses (if they built it) ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭squire23

Oh holy hell - I think I just orgasmed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

There is quite a bit of cycling in Qatar and lots of flat desert. Get a mtb/cross bike and head into the desert. It's well doable, I know some guys that jogged from one side of the country to the other. Watch out for the 4x4s though, they love them.

There's also the promenade in Doha, can't remember the correct name for it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Congratulations on the new job!

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,623 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Couldn't you cycle at night :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

40 degree heat there may be but I can't imagine it'll be humid in the desert (not that I'd know though) and it's the humidity that real takes it out of y. You never know, might work out ok, don't give up hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 shnoop

I thought that was pretty amazing,so did some googling aswell.Surely if the thing was built there would be more recent articles than 2007 where they are still only planning to build it,Also the word cooled is a bit misleading as it only reduces the temperature from an outside max of 50c to a more bearable 32c which is still quite sticky in my book!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Call first dib's on the bike and equipment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,460 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

• Advertisement

racso1975 wrote: »
    Call first dib's on the bike and equipment
    Literally just had a discussion with my wife a few hours ago about bringing my cycling gear & shoes & helmet etc. & how they were gonna take up so much space in my case. She just looked at me like I was mental :D

As a PS to my original post. I'm here in Qatar about a month now. Way too hot to be trying any cycling but as you'd guess it doesn't matter. I was gone 2 weeks when I had the obiligatory email from a family member asking could he borrow my bike for a cycle. He subsequently took my bike, my pump & my goddamn shoes. He then emailed me with the old "well since you're not going to be here can I hang onto your bike till you get back?"

B@stards!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

i would have removed the rear derailleur, that way you could say it not running, and only damage would be done.

but yes bastardos.

can only imagine being in your situation and asking the oh if its ok to bring bike, personally id have know better and just wept myself to sleep holding her (the bike, of course) for those last few precious nights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 851 ✭✭✭GlennaMaddy

squire23 wrote: »
    As a PS to my original post. I'm here in Qatar about a month now. Way too hot to be trying any cycling ...

I know it can be humid until about midnight but are night spins on or off road not an option for you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

A quick Google suggests there is a group that meets up at 4:30am Friday mornings during the summer.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Been unemployed for the last 7 months & finally managed to get a job.... in Qatar. Don't think I'll be managing any 2hrs spins in 40+ degree heat!

Now to find a new addiciton.....

Was in Riyadh, Saudi A. for ten years. Ran two half marathons and dozens of road run races. Local expats used to bike road races, and that was in the 80's. You should have no problem. Join the HHH (Hash House Harriers).
    Riyadh was in the, and still apparently is, in the middle of the Saudi desert. Toughen ya up. :)

At one stage, my flat mate was a Newcastle, UK, roadie. Brought out his bike straight away. Used to train before work, early. Raced quiet alot. I was jealous of him. He used to get me to sweep corners at raced. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭72hundred

blorg wrote: »
    A quick Google suggests there is a group that meets up at 4:30am Friday mornings during the summer.

A quick google says most people sleep at 4.30am!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

72hundred wrote: »
    A quick google says most people sleep at 4.30am!
    If it is cycle or not cycle you get up before dawn. I've had to do this myself cycling in hot countries. Cycling in the afternoon is just not possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

As a PS to my original post. I'm here in Qatar about a month now. Way too hot to be trying any cycling but as you'd guess it doesn't matter. I was gone 2 weeks when I had the obiligatory email from a family member asking could he borrow my bike for a cycle. He subsequently took my bike, my pump & my goddamn shoes. He then emailed me with the old "well since you're not going to be here can I hang onto your bike till you get back?"

B@stards!
    How long are you there for? I'd imagine that cycling's possible in the winter, hence the Tour of Qatar. Hold tight for a few months.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Then again, don't fret, it's the height of summer at the moment. It will get nice n cool later in the year.

• Advertisement
Advertisement