Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Router switch from Cisco EPC2425

• 25-06-2010 10:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭

I was wondering if anyone could recemmend me a good/affordable router to replace this awful EPC2425. Have had lots of problems trying to get it set up with my consoles and it's just a general pain in the arse of a router.

I'm looking for a router that would be suitable/better for online gaming, streaming Movies to my PS3 etc etc. I'm a student so I can't go too overboard in terms of cash but some recommendations would be great. Is it really worth buying those "Gaming Routers" or does it really make a difference?

Cheers.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,441 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

seanbmc wrote: »
    I was wondering if anyone could recemmend me a good/affordable router to replace this awful EPC2425. Have had lots of problems trying to get it set up with my consoles and it's just a general pain in the arse of a router.

I'm looking for a router that would be suitable/better for online gaming, streaming Movies to my PS3 etc etc. I'm a student so I can't go too overboard in terms of cash but some recommendations would be great. Is it really worth buying those "Gaming Routers" or does it really make a difference?

Cheers.

Just to make sure you're aware, you can't do away with the EPC2425, since it's MAC address is used to allow it access to the network. The most you can do is minimize it's presence by putting it in bridge mode, after which your separate router can do everything.

The bridge mode was hidden in the latest firmware release and you can get the needed link to that setting in this thread:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055949127

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭seanbmc

Spear wrote: »
    Just to make sure you're aware, you can't do away with the EPC2425, since it's MAC address is used to allow it access to the network. The most you can do is minimize it's presence by putting it in bridge mode, after which your separate router can do everything.

The bridge mode was hidden in the latest firmware release and you can get the needed link to that setting in this thread:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055949127

Thanks for the link.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

*bump*

I am also looking for suggestions for a router to use with the UPC modem (not the cisco modem/router)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

You can use any router you want, you just can't replace the modem. You must use whatever modem UPC provide. The choice of router often comes down to personal preference. Netgear or Linksys, avoid Belkin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 rwilson_ie

I actually just ordered UPC broadband and phone 5mb today (already had TV with them and phone/bb with Eircom). Then just by chance, a door to door guy from UPC called this evening.

He tried to tell me that you could only use a Cisco router with the new optical cables - I take it that he was talking bs ! ?

He also tried to convince me to buy off him and cancel my order ! :)

Is it true that the N modems will only work at speeds if all devices on the Network are N ? i.e. my PS3 is G I think, so network speeds will only ever achieve G speeds ? If so, is that only when the PS3 is turned on ?

TIA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

rwilson_ie wrote: »
    I actually just ordered UPC broadband and phone 5mb today (already had TV with them and phone/bb with Eircom). Then just by chance, a door to door guy from UPC called this evening.

He tried to tell me that you could only use a Cisco router with the new optical cables - I take it that he was talking bs ! ?

He also tried to convince me to buy off him and cancel my order ! :)

Is it true that the N modems will only work at speeds if all devices on the Network are N ? i.e. my PS3 is G I think, so network speeds will only ever achieve G speeds ? If so, is that only when the PS3 is turned on ?

TIA

since the PS3 is G then thats what it will connect with you will need a device capable of N to get the advantage of faster wireless unfortunatly the PS3 IS on G wireless (but im open to correction still doubt that its uses N )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

rwilson_ie wrote: »
    yes and no.

"the new optical cables" he's talking about are FTTC (fibre to the cabinet/curb) not to your house, you will have the same cable to your house as you've always had, same as the rest of us and you can use either the newer cisco modem or the older modems supplied by upc like the bog standard single port scientific atlanta modem they used to supply that you can use with a broadband router either supplied by them or your own.

I have one of those modems with the current top of the range offering from upc which is 30mbps/3mbps and this is the best speed I've had out of my connection using this modem (using my own broadband router, a linksys wrt54gs with tomato firmware) which is now a year and a half old:

832866432.png

just as a disclaimer, that was the best I ever got, it can very depending on the time of day and day of the week, I've had it as low as 2mbps at times, but for the most part it's fine.

if you don't plan on going any faster than that, it'll do you fine for now, but UPC are rolling out newer upgrades around july/august time (unless the date has changed, maybe someone can confirm) which will be using a different standard (EuroDOCSIS3.0) to the currently used one and this standard isn't supported by either the older SA modems or the newer cisco routers either afaik, so any upgrades to that will require another new modem to work.

quite why UPC are continuing to roll out the cisco is anyones guess, it's been far from popular in their user community, maybe they just aren't ready to roll out the newer hardware yet or maybe they are, but it's just not backwards compatible with the older docsis standard currently in use so they don't have a choice.

if you ARE looking for a new router then, depending on your budget, I'd look for something labelled as either a broadband or cable router (not a dsl router, they won't work) with the following, in (approximate) order of importance depending on your budget:
    • an RJ45 Ethernet WAN port of at least 10/100 Mbps (to take advantage of future speed upgrades)
    • 802.11n Wireless 2.4Ghz (just about any router will have 802.11g already, 802.11n will help futureproof you a bit more)
    • gigabit ethernet LAN ports to keep your internal network speedy if you have wired clients on it.
    • dual band wireless 2.4Ghz & 5Ghz
    • 3rd party firmware support like DDWRT, Tomato, OpenWRT etc. if you think you might want to add a few features down the line. you never know. :)
    as jor_el says, Netgear or Linksys, avoid Belkin.

and yes, so far the PS3 is wireless G only, but that's not to say there won't be a wireless N dongle i the future. the new Xbox360 slim that's about to come out has wireless N built in, so if it's coming to xbox you can bet it'll be coming to PS3 soon too, regardless of if it's actually needed. :)

if you have mixed wireless N and wireless G devices then they will each work at their respecitve speeds although it's not uncommon for wireless G devices to drag down the speed of wireless N devices on the same network.

but for the most part the sales guy was talking out of his backside though, just to make a bit of commission. you'll pretty much find that they always are, regardless. i can't imagine an honest door to door salesman lasting very long. :)

jor el wrote: »
    You can use any router you want, you just can't replace the modem. You must use whatever modem UPC provide. The choice of router often comes down to personal preference. Netgear or Linksys, avoid Belkin.

Any recommendations? I'm looking for one around the €50/€60 mark, preferably an N-router as I have an N wireless card.

Any recommendations? I'm looking for one around the €50/€60 mark, preferably an N-router as I have an N wireless card.
    looking at the Netgear WNR2000

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭DingDong

looking at the Netgear WNR2000

I use a WNR2000 and get good performance out of it. Seems like good value for money

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭none

Hi,

As my NetGear WGR614 died during the firmware upgrade, I had to find a quick replacement. I know that Belkin isn't a reliable brand but since it was available in the nearest Argos and this model actually had pretty good reviews on most tech sites, I decided to give it a try.

Well, it's dropping the connection even more than the old NetGear so I think I might have to either try to revive the old one or buy a new one and bring this Belkin back.

Anyone has any experience with this model? On UPC or otherwise?

Cheers:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

dropping the wireless connection?

try switching the wireless channel. google for inSSIDer and install it on your laptop and wander round your house and it will show you what other wireless networks are in range and where they overlap which will give you a better idea of the best wireless channel to choose.

make sure you have an ethernet cable handy just in case you lose connectivity altogether after changing channels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭none

vibe666 wrote: »
    dropping the wireless connection?

try switching the wireless channel. google for inSSIDer and install it on your laptop and wander round your house and it will show you what other wireless networks are in range and where they overlap which will give you a better idea of the best wireless channel to choose.

make sure you have an ethernet cable handy just in case you lose connectivity altogether after changing channels.

I have this app and it shows I have a unique channel, at least, within visible networks.

It's a disgrace that with such declared speeds, I can't really have any reliability. When I was on BT/Eircom, I never had any drops for years and now with UPC it's several times an hour.

But regarding this Belkin router, any one has any personal experience with UPC? Or with any other provider? I'm thinking of returning it back to Argos, even though UPC might be to blame here...:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭KennyLegend

I would try another router first mate.

Advertisement