Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

USA v Ghana, Last 16, 26th June @ 7.30 pm

• 25-06-2010 11:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭

united-states-flag1.gifghana-flag.png

USA -v- Ghana

Last 16
    Rustenburg
    Saturday 26th June @ 7.30 p.m.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,682 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

im surprised the bookies have usa as favourites for this

I strongly fancy Ghana myself

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Of all the teams that progressed to the last 16, Ghana have impressed me the least. 2 goals so far, and both coming from the penalty spot, says something!

USA were deserved group winners, but this is a different type of challenge on Sunday.

Having said that, they are the type of side who could do an effective job in shutting down the likes of Donovan and Altidore.

My head is saying Ghana will edge it in a dull enough match, but my heart hopes the USA can do it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Hope we can beat Ghana. I think we will need massive performances to progress. I think Ghana had the harder group but they didn't score a goal besides the penalties.

I reckon if we get the lead we will win.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaally hope the USA can win this. Enthusiasm over here is building.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dannydiamond

I think Ghana will win this quite convincingly.

• Advertisement

Even though the bookies favourite is USA, I will support the underdog, the USA.

(It hurts my brain too)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,014 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I've been really impressed by Ghana, they are very, very disciplined and exceptionally hard to break down. They never get caught on the counter and the USA's success has come that way.

I fancy Ghana to nab a 1-0 win in this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

For those of you still awake, you might enjoy my preview of the opening two last 16 games. it took me bleedin' ages! :pac:

http://backpagefootball.com/world-cup/world-cup-last-16-preview-day-1/

Feel free to read and comment.

As you can see, i stayed on the fence with regards the result of this game, but i do tihnk it'll be tight one.

and... bed. *zzzz*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    For those of you still awake, you might enjoy my preview of the opening two last 16 games. it took me bleedin' ages! :pac:

http://backpagefootball.com/world-cup/world-cup-last-16-preview-day-1/

Feel free to read and comment.

As you can see, i stayed on the fence with regards the result of this game, but i do tihnk it'll be tight one.

and... bed. *zzzz*

A good read, and I agree with both predictions, The USA-Ghana game is very hard to call, I would give a slight advantage to the Americans, mainly due to the goal threat of Dempsey and Donovan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

Would love Ghana to win but they have scored only twice both from penalties (though the one they were given the second penalty for would have been a goal without the handball)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Ghana are awful. They threaten but they don't do much.

The Serbs would have hammered them in the first game if they weren't so afraid. The USA to come out and attack from the off.

2-0 USA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭LeeroyJones

one of those matches where I want both of them to progress. However, allegiances to USA can't be ignored.
    So the heart is just about going for the States.... and the brain agrees, but it won't be easy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Gonna be very tight. 1-0 either way....can't really call it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

Ghana IMO, World Soccer Guide predicted that they reach the semi-finals, they won the most african cup of nations combined.

Pity Essien is out, but I think they will win tonight. Very pacy and attacking team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Lots of running about, the USA will win by a goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭Glico Man

CorkMan wrote: »
    Ghana IMO, World Soccer Guide predicted that they reach the semi-finals, they won the most african cup of nations combined.

Pity Essien is out, but I think they will win tonight. Very pacy and attacking team.

:confused: I'm not sure what you're saying here but I can guarantee that they have not one the most ACN titles, let alone the most ACN titles combined

Anyways, I'm going for the yanks in this match. Donovan and Bradley to get the goals

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

I am beginning to warm to CorkMan.

Will you ban him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

mike65 wrote: »
    Will you ban him?

If he gets tedious, undoubtedly.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

heh, ESPN just analysed why goalkeepers have to dive early for penalties (100ms for the brain to react, 70ms for the brain to issue the instructions, 750ms for the dive vs 400ms for the ball to travel the 12 yards) and how it is harder to save a penalty than hit a baseball. I love American coverage :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,588 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

heh, ESPN just analysed why goalkeepers have to dive early for penalties (100ms for the brain to react, 70ms for the brain to issue the instructions, 750ms for the dive vs 400ms for the ball to travel the 12 yards) and how it is harder to save a penalty than hit a baseball. I love American coverage :)
    Saw that too. And because of the elevation, the ball travels 5% faster than at sea level :pac: who thinks of this stuff?!

Also its not really guesswork is it :rolleyes: the keeper is watching all of the strikers actions leading up to goal. espn science fail.

Still I dont think its a stretch to say American Soccer's future hinges on today's match. More people watching than ever I would say. Especially with the onslaught of Web and TV coverage. A win, and especially a dramatic game, would do it. You'd see many yanks forever changed by what they saw...

...or Ghana could kill us, or the Ref can call it Off-Sides again for the Hat trick. And then it will be business as usual with every American thinking Soccer is the most retarded sport ever played.

If USA loses, I'll change my username to Gonorrhea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Overheal wrote: »
    If USA loses, I'll change my username to Gonorrhea.

Quoted in case of welch

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I think this will be end to end stuff. Hoping for a cracking game!

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Quoted in case of welch
    ....for a limited duration :o till the end of the cup?

Overheal wrote: »
    Saw that too. And because of the elevation, the ball travels 5% faster than at sea level :pac: who thinks of this stuff?!

The Americans seem to be quite obsessed with statistics, I dunno why cricket has'nt caught on. Working out the run rate using the Duckworth/Lewis method should be right up their street.

Anything called the Duckworth/Lewis method sounds far too... Imperial. Even for a country that still uses Imperial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

The USA and their fans/ media have irritated me during the World Cup. I actually tipped them to do well but the over reaction to their results and the disallowed goal has turned me off them.

Fair enough, the disallowed goal looked harsh but I read some ridiculous stuff from USA writers. Not least Peter King from SI saying that if FIFA don't force every referee to explain their decisions that every country with a brain will abandon the game. And I don't know how many times I have read that FIFA are doing a rubbish job at selling the game to America. It's a World Cup... the purpose is not to sell it to a country who couldn't care less about football most of the time.

Not too mention how Landon Donovan has been hyped as some sort of top class footballer. He is a decent mid level premiership player. No more.

/Rant over but I have a bit of a bee in my bonnet about it!:pac:

Plus as it is an African tournament, I hope Ghana get through. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Some smug bastards over on ITV. Adrian Chiles just said "Coming up, we'll find out how the Americans are over performing, and still over here (South Africa)". Does he forget that England were lucky to get a draw against them?

Pathetic coverage.

• Advertisement

I think that was a jokey reference to a famous WW2 saying so get off your horse and back into your pram. Or Something.

United States: 1-Tim Howard; 6-Steve Cherundolo, 15-Jay DeMerit, 12-Jonathan Bornstein, 3-Carlos Bocanegra; 10-Landon Donovan, 4-Michael Bradley, 13-Ricardo Clark, 8-Clint Dempsey; 17-Jozy Altidore, 20-Robbie Findley.

Ghana: 22-Richard Kingson; 4-John Pantsil, 8-Jonathan Mensah, 5-John Mensah, 2-Hans Sarpei; 6-Anthony Annan, 7-Samuel Inkoom, 23-Kevin-Prince Boateng, 13-Dede Ayew; 21-Kwadwo Asamoah, 3-Asamoah Gyan

mike65 wrote: »
    I think that was a jokey reference to a famous WW2 saying so get off your horse and back into your pram. Or Something.

I'm well aware of the saying Mike, that doesn't change the fact that they still think the USA are over-performing. Which they are not, they are performing very much to their capabilities.

So shove your smart arse reply up your hole, they never work for you. Or something similar.

Shesh!

Winningest.

How has that become a word?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I was going to root for the US, but I've changed my mind.

I was going to root for the US, but I've changed my mind.

I know... especially after listening to Landon Donovan.

I hope Ghana smash USA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

USA to win 1-1 again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭youcrazyjesus!

Does Dunphy seem a wee bit "off" tonight?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Nemanja91

Eamonn looks and sounds like he has been on the drink.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,433 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Dancor wrote: »
    USA to win 1-1 again.

Newspaper to make a joke that some people don't get, again...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Does Dunphy seem a wee bit "off" tonight?

Its not just me then.

• Advertisement

Come on Ghana!!!!!

Can somebody please tell them they look extremely foolish in front of the whole world with the arm and hand on heart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Bill's come to see the match live i'm impressed wouldn't of thought it would be that big in the states

Can somebody please tell them they look extremely foolish in front of the whole world with the arm and hand on heart.

Can you imagine the reaction here if the England team did that

Bill's come to see the match live i'm impressed wouldn't of thought it would be that big in the states

Would prefer to see George there imo

The attendances are very disappointing.

Get in!!!!

Old World 1 - 0 New World

Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,682 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

great goal, go wan the prince

• Advertisement
Advertisement