Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

castration bands for calves

• 25-06-2010 11:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 867 ✭✭✭

has anyone heard of these?
    a scottish farmer interviewed in the journal puts them on his bull calves at two days of age.
    i like the sound of it, nice and stress free, better than wrestling with an 8 month old bull in a dodgy crush!:rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 146 ✭✭denis086

a friend of mine does it the same way on his beef cattle and that way you know if they are castrated or not because either have it or they dont and you dont find out a few months on with heifers in calf and a bullock that seem to be able to growl a little too deeply :rolleyes:
    im surprised your aable to put rings on them to castrate them but your not allowed put rings on their tails because its an animal welfare issue surely castrating them is more cruel than taking the top of their tail off next they will be banning castration they wouldnt be banning it and cutting people 1% on inspections if they had to milk them with a tail slapping you in the face :mad: getting $**t in your eye and face

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 sillycows

Does it work like docking lambs tails?

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭kfk

I banded all my bull calves this year. Very easy and stress free. I have heard that calves grow better if left as full bulls for 10 months but I dont fancy castrating them at that age. Hopefully they will turn out ok!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 867 ✭✭✭locky76

kfk wrote: »
    I banded all my bull calves this year. Very easy and stress free. I have heard that calves grow better if left as full bulls for 10 months but I dont fancy castrating them at that age. Hopefully they will turn out ok!

Cheers KFK, a few questions as i'm very interested in them-
    • where do you get them
    • What ages can they be put on
    • Are they and the application tool (pliers??) expensive
    • would you recommend them
    I like the idea of banding the bulls when they are being tagged, i.e. around two to three days of age.
    Any help greatly appreciated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Would castrating them at this age not rule them out for selling for export??? From the marts that I go to, Export buyers only want calves that aren't castrated. I understood that this was because full bull calves will finish easier and faster than castrated ones. I may be wrong, but this is what I was told.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

there was a thread on the british farming forum where a lad put the rings on bulls that where quite old cant remember the age but it was pure torture for the bulls i think he lost some of them makes me cringe thinking of it:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 146 ✭✭denis086

locky76 wrote: »
    • where do you get them
    I like the idea of banding the bulls when they are being tagged, i.e. around two to three days of age.
    Any help greatly appreciated
    you can buy the bands in the co-op or at the vets theyre little orange bands come in a box not sure how many are in them its been a while since we got them there is a special tool with 4 pieces of small bar turned at 90 deg near the end these spread out and you just slide the band up over the tail etc not sure how much because weve had ours a long time but the bands sometimes have a tendancy to fly off just as you are about to put it on funny the first few times untill you start getting annoyed :D
    i wouldnt be a fan of castrating them so long after a few months we do ours you have a better animal in the end easier to finish etc especially if they are weak to start with we did them very early one year and it was hard to finish them and they seemed to kick alot more :rolleyes:

• where do you get them
    • Any veterinary store should have them
    • From what I have read they should be put on while the calf is young. I banded my calves at 4 weeks. Can be done from a few days old.
    • Think I paid €15 for the applicator at local store. Farmrite stock them. See here
    • Calves seem to be doing ok so far but I wont know what effect it has on their growth for some time.
    Have a look a this site . Some info an banding

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭pajero12

images%3Fq%3Ddocking%2Brings%2Blambs%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Doff%26client%3Dsafari%26sa%3DN%26rls%3Den%26tbs%3Disch:1
    Are you using these rings kfk?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Indubitable

I don't castrate my calves as I get a better price and they supposedly grow faster.

• Advertisement

pajero12 wrote: »
    images%3Fq%3Ddocking%2Brings%2Blambs%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Doff%26client%3Dsafari%26sa%3DN%26rls%3Den%26tbs%3Disch:1
    Are you using these rings kfk?

The bands I got from the vet are orange. Maybe they are a different size?

I don't castrate my calves as I get a better price and they supposedly grow faster.

What age do you sell them at?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Indubitable

from about 10-12 months

Advertisement