Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Construction Noise in the Middle of the Night (Lucan)?

• 25-06-2010 11:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭

Has anybody else heard this - in the Griffeen area of Lucan?

From about 1am I can hear what sounds like heavy machinery, drilling in the earth, and lorries tipping out loads of rocks - the typical sounds of construction.

It sounds far away, but yet, it's actually very loud. Seems to be coming from up towards the railway tracks / Tullyhall area from where I am.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

There's still work going on in connection with the Kildare Route Project on the railway(4 lines from Hazelhatch to Inchicore),could be that,as much of it would be done at night when there's no trains running.

Can't think of any other construction going on in the area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,611 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

lord lucan wrote: »
    There's still work going on in connection with the Kildare Route Project on the railway(4 lines from Hazelhatch to Inchicore),could be that,as much of it would be done at night when there's no trains running.

Can't think of any other construction going on in the area.

I can see the works from my attic. It's just west of the new (unused) Kishoge station. AFAIK the 4 lines at this area are complete, I recently saw an intercity overtaking a local train each using a different eastbound line :)

The works just seems to be a massive depot of materials and the loading of stuff (like stone fillings and concrete railway sleepers) into lorries to be distributed elsewhere. Normally the (surprisingly noisy) work is just 9ish to 5ish, but recently they worked through the night a few times. I've no idea why...

They're at it again right now. What's so important that they work (weekend!) nights, I wonder?

Most of the major and very necessary infrastructural projects we've seen in the past decade (Luas, M50) and they seemed to have worked 9-5 only :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

They must be taking a leaf out of the Japanese infrastructure book. They do most of their construction at night to minimise obstruction and delay's to the building and traffic etc. They tend to get things done a lot quicker that way too.

Personally I think it's the best way to do things but I don't envy anyone that lives near it!

They do most of their construction at night to minimise obstruction and delay's to the building and traffic etc. They tend to get things done a lot quicker that way too.

Agree 100% with that if it's an important project like the ones I mentioned in my previous post. What's the project here though? Anyone know anything?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Dubluc

Is the Railway Line nearly finished and anything on when Kishoge is opening? Seems to be a white elephant? I live nearby and would use it if it opened.

As far as the eye can see, the railway line is open (4 tracks, 2 tracks both ways). I saw another intercity train overtake a goods train east bound yesterday (obviously both on their own track)

There are no plans to open Kishoge station though afaik, even though construction seems to be 100% complete. Even the car park seems to be complete. What a waste of time and money :rolleyes:

BTW they are working on the distribution site at the moment. Very noisy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

I saw an article in the Lucan Gazette about it this week. Iaranroid Eireann are working 24 hours 6 days a week on the site. They will continue until late August and then again in October/November. Apparently they should be finished then.

It said there have been lots of complaints from residents in neighbouring estates such as Tullyhall about the noise and the dust. I don't blame them - I live nearly 2 miles away and the noise at night is outrageous.

Apparently they should be finished then.

About time :(

I'm only about 300m (less than a fifth of a mile) away and the noise is very annoying. I'm straight north from it so with the prevailing south westerly winds I don't get the dust most of the time. Just as well :(

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

unkel wrote: »
    They're at it again right now. What's so important that they work (weekend!) nights, I wonder?

Most of the major and very necessary infrastructural projects we've seen in the past decade (Luas, M50) and they seemed to have worked 9-5 only :rolleyes:

Rail works are often done at night as to minimise the impact on passages services. The works are done at the weekend for the same reason -- for example, the rail line is closed or part closed from Saturday afternoon to Sunday. And when they've closed the line they have to use all that time, including the night, to get the work done.

When the Luas was being built they did not have to deal with Intercity trains passing by and at least some work directly away from houses was done on the M50 at night.

• Advertisement

monument wrote: »
    Rail works are often done at night as to minimise the impact on passages services.

It's not rail works! No lines are closed, all 4 lines are in operation 24/7. The works just seem to be a giant materials distribution centre

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

unkel wrote: »
    It's not rail works! No lines are closed, all 4 lines are in operation 24/7. The works just seem to be a giant materials distribution centre

What exactly is going on if it's not works related to the railway?

monument wrote: »
    What exactly is going on if it's not works related to the railway?

Not quite sure but there are huge piles of materials and diggers are shifting these materials onto lorries or so it seems.

Advertisement