Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Acrylic Fingernails: Opinions?

• 25-06-2010 11:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭

I have a terrible habit of biting my nails so I thought the acrylic route might be an option, anyone here use them?

Any pro's or cons?

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Zangetsu wrote: »
    I have a terrible habit of biting my nails so I thought the acrylic route might be an option, anyone here use them?

Any pro's or cons?

Cheers

You should be able to get some stuff in a pharmacy to stop you biting them. You put it on and it makes them taste really bad. :)

I've no idea what it's called though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 641 ✭✭✭ham_n_mustard

shouldnt this one be in fashion & appearance? :pac:

all jokes aside, are you talking about something like these? i played in a trad band years ago and the banjo player used them, except his ones were stainless steel, very bright sounding.... i'd imagine the ones in the link would be a warmer sounding option

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Zangetsu

Dord wrote: »
    You should be able to get some stuff in a pharmacy to stop you biting them. You put it on and it makes them taste really bad. :)

I'll look into that!
    all jokes aside, are you talking about something like these?

I've used those before, they're too hard to get used to and finding a perfect fitting size and be a pain in the ass... just unnatural wierdness all round!

Was thinking more along the lines of

http://kagedbird.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/long20nails.jpg

Only cut to size of course :P

I've heard of flamenco and steel string players using them as they are much more sturdy then a normal nail where breaking one could jeopardize a show...

I dunno, flesh isn't working for me anymore tone wise and my fingers are getting torn apart every other practice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭IVRZ

Id be interested in something like this too. Broke a nail the other day and my whole style is gone out the window until it grows back. Thatll take a couple of weeks as it broke right down to the quick, ouch.
    Some kind of nails that you stick on over your own and trim to size?

Just found this, might try them
    http://www.guitarplayernails.com/?gclid=CPywwM-NwKICFRM_lAodzi6i6g

and here's more from Rico
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHuLTEh0QCI&feature=related

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,039 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

A lot of classical or orchestral guitarists use false fingernails regularly - sometimes it's not possible to wait for a broken fingernail to grow. Back.
    I would suggest if you are getting them done, go for the best ones you can get, and get a professional to fit them for you so that they'll last longer.

6inch blue ones may not be the best route to chose though - sometimes size isnt important! :)

• Advertisement

Ive ordered a sheet of the instant nail stuff from guitarplayernails.com, 16 euro including postage from the states. I have my own superglue and nailfiles (anyway i suppose they cant ship glue). Will let you know how i get on and you can have a bit to try if you like when they arrive, whenever that is!
    Cheers:)

EUREEEKA. for the moment anyway.
    There i was this morning trying to stick a piece of plastic to my nail with no success. Why dont you buy false nails says the girlfriend. Ill get them for you.
    Ive got two on now and have been playing for an hour, they feel very natural and sound the same as real nails.
    Go in the chemist and ask for false nails. You get the glue in the box, an emery board rough and smooth, a pointy stick, and a load of different size nails.
    9 euros.
    The glue is going in my gig bag and if they fall off ill just stick them on again.
    I can even scratch my head again
    Happy days:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Zangetsu

Thanks for the info I'll give em a blast!

you're welcome, best of luck with it.:)

Advertisement