Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A bullying sticky?

Options
  • 25-06-2010 11:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭

Since a lot of bullying situations are occuring and being advised rather well on this forum through informative replies:

I think that there should / could be a sticky about a defined course of action to take via bullying in schools i.e. how to navigate the system that exists as a policy in these schools and as such make official complaints to the school and school boards in a a measured way.

Bullying is and should be a major concern and responsibility for any concerned organisation as much as it is for the concerned parents.

I imagine that a compilation of step by step actions to take in a controlled way through the 'system', I think this would help and support parents and subsequently their kids in this issue.

Thoughts Mods and forum members?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Initial thoughts: not opposed to the idea. There are already 5 stickies though. Wary of having too many.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Khannie wrote: »
    Initial thoughts: not opposed to the idea. There are already 5 stickies though. Wary of having too many.

I would imagine that such a thread would be marginally more important than "A bit about yourself" & "Dear posters, don't feed the trolls".

Maybe you could have gotten the same point across without the snotty tone?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Khannie wrote: »
    Maybe you could have gotten the same point across without the snotty tone?

Apologies, wasn't meant to be snotty. Poor attempt at humour from me.

Fair enough. :) i take the point too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Certain topics come up a lot, baptism slapping and now this one.
    Thus far we've been creating mega threads with info so that when a new one starts it can be added to the exsisting thread. I would propose we do the same with this topic, it's hasn't been a re occuring one until recently.

Sounds good to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Certain topics come up a lot, baptism slapping and now this one.
    Thus far we've been creating mega threads with info so that when a new one starts it can be added to the exsisting thread. I would propose we do the same with this topic, it's hasn't been a re occuring one until recently.
    I take the point about to many stickys Khannie that is an issue. For some reason I tend not to read or even look at stickies mostly, I tend to look for active topics. To me that is what a general user just does, correct me if I am wrong on this.

Also the 'megathread' is an idea. But this can be information overload when you think about it as it could contain to much info i.e. anecdotes and experiences etc, (I put up enough myself).

So from what has been said so far and as an evolvement of the idea: I wonder would it be possible to extract the concise / directly useful information from the potential 'megathread' and be made more concise i.e. a link to a pseudothread that would only contain the most usefull and informative concise posts as one thread which would be understood as such for some folks to visit as an informative resource?

I hope that makes sense. It would take a bit of work in a way as the Mod would have to compile the most relevant posts. Possible I think (I can see some Mod sweating already;))

The sticky thing could be swayed by putting the psuedolink into the useful links sticky so that would cover that issue. People that have these bullying issues as an additional resource in a thread could in the process of getting advice and help could also be pointed to the useful link sticky pseudothread for additional info.

What do you think? Please tell me to shut the hell up if it is unrealistic, but I think it is a good idea which if properly implemented could work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Well we have a stickie with links to resources, the thing is people tend to want to start a thread to express thier own situation and look for input, that's not going to change and the other way is that people google and/or do a search in the forum for bullying and get a list of threads.

If there is a mega thread all the links can be put in the first post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Well we have a stickie with links to resources, the thing is people tend to want to start a thread to express thier own situation and look for input, that's not going to change and the other way is that people google and/or do a search in the forum for bullying and get a list of threads.
    If there is a mega thread all the links can be put in the first post.
    Ah yep, makes sense. I suppose bullying even in the context of parenting can still come under lots of different headings and experiences. So a concerned party would be better off searching and then finding a thread with a topic heading more relevant to their own situation really.

Plus the links at the start of the 'megathread' would be like an index making it much easier for the user. Great solution and great idea, cheers Thaed.

PS I wonder if the reason for more bullying threads at this time of year is because it is the end of a school year and parents are wondering what to course of action to take for the next year?

• Advertisement
Advertisement